Sign in to follow this  

Drain bolt torque? 20 ft-lbs (27 N-m) seems so much

My Honda manual for my 2002 CRF450R clearly shows that the engine and transmission drain bolts should be torqued to 20 ft-lbs (27 N-m).

I've only taken them up to 17 ft-lbs (23 N-m). That already seems tight, and the crush washers do actually get deformed and crush. I'm afraid to go to the recommended torque.

Is the manual wrong? What is the true recommended torque?

Thanks,

+sean

My Honda manual for my 2002 CRF450R clearly shows that the engine and transmission drain bolts should be torqued to 20 ft-lbs (27 N-m).

I've only taken them up to 17 ft-lbs (23 N-m). That already seems tight, and the crush washers do actually get deformed and crush. I'm afraid to go to the recommended torque.

Is the manual wrong? What is the true recommended torque?

Thanks,

+sean

yup, too high. Honda revised it to 16 ft-lbs or something but many of us here still think that's too high. I just tighten mine until they feel snug, not hard enough to deform the crush washers. If that makes you nervous, drill and safety wire them rather than tightening them more.

I just go by feel with a 1/4" drive ratchet. No chance in stripping out the threads and the bolt will be plenty tight. I've been doing this for over a year with no problems with either drain bolt.

If you really want to use a torque wrench on those use an inch pound torque wrench.

I torque mine to 106 inch pounds IIRC. (= around 8-9 ft/lbs)

I had a 02 yz 426 and they had a typo or somthing in the manual, because they said they crankcase drain bot was to be tightned to 3 foot Lbs. But it was supposed to be 13 :cry: