Sign in to follow this  

Hi, new here - Got a few Q's about my jap import 250....

Hey all, been reading here quite a bit, so i thought i better sign up and say hello !

Anyways, I have a 1997 xr250, fresh off the boat from Japan, got it all sorted and reg'd last saturday.

P1010048.JPG

Was just wondering what the hell to do with the exhaust? I've read through all the guides etc on here and none of em depict how to sort a jap zorst that looks like this : P1010051.JPG

As it stands at the mo, my old tuned DT125r would spank the XR totally in engine character and power which is a little sad. It pulls like a lawnmower lol.

But yeh, any help would be appreciated. And sorry about my tyres, they gonna get changed soon :cry:

Very cool bike! Does it have e-start?

First, I would see if a tank from an XR250 fits.

Find a used one on eBay and put that nice steel tank on a shelf where it won't get dented.

Look into tires that work for what you need.

80% street, 60% street, 10% street. Lots of options.

Get the right tool for the job.

I'm not sure what you can do with the tail pipe. I'll be it the Australian members might know a thing or two. If you are going to ride off-road, you need a spark arrestor. Read about the $10 million lawsuit for a rider who didn't have one. You might look on eBay for a used stock pipe too.

Hehe yeah its E-start, and digital clocks as well.

I should of noted one thing, I live in england! Second hand exhausts for these things are like hens teeth, or rocking horse poo. Very Rare unfortunatly. Although as its always raining here in the UK I dont need a spark arrester :cry: Everythings to wet to catch fire.

Most of this bikes time is going to be spent in chalk and mud Im thinking, and once a week a 30mile round trip to college, so I think i'll just try several sets, coz they aint too expensive really.

Another thing, is it worth taking out the snorkel and up-jetting slightly before taking out the baffle, if only to improve throttle response?

If your exhaust makes the bike sound like a vacuum cleaner, it might be too restricted to put out too much power without modifying it.

You'll find removing the intake snorkle and switching to a Uni-Filter will help a bit. (It's more noticable on the XR400.)

You might go up 1 on the main jet and adjust the pilot jet after making the change. The good news is these jetting changes are VERY EASY.