Sign in to follow this  

HOT CAMS , BURNED ?

I am trying to decide if I should do both cams or just the intake ? Its a 2000 e model that I will be using for street and supermoto racing . Is the loss of low end power so dramatic with both cams that I would notice it on the street , and is there power to be gained by using both cams or am I just moving the power curve ?? :cry:

For street mostly or only I'd go with both hot cams. Yes I have both and also both E cams as well so I have some experience with them.

are there any issues with starting since there is no automatic decompression on the hot cams?

Yes,, errrrrrrrrr, no,, well sometimes :cry:

If your riding the bike on the street,, No

If your riding the bike on the trail,,,and do not stop often (riding with kids, lesser rides, lost of stop and go) then no

If your riding involves lots of short start and stops,, with restart in less then a few minutes from stop.. Then, ya a little bit of an issue.

all of this is based on a bike running a bit more then 13.5 CR and may not be an issue with stock CR.

I have a pretty good handle on getting mine started now,, so do not plan on changing cams. But you do need to realize and plan for the possible hard starting when warm and just stopped,, and the fact it sucks a lot of juice from the battery.. Making it not the best set up if you do a ton of start and stop.

Mine with stock compression didn't seem to have any problems though. But I only got to ride it for 26 miles. Will be able to expand on this post this week :cry:

Mine definately doesnt start as easy especially after the new piston but dammm those rings were tight, However even though it doesnt turn over as easily, it always starts .... so far

Today it started ( turned over not so easy though) and I havent riden it for 2 months