Sign in to follow this  

Lightest full size dual sport?

What's the lightest full size street legal bike available right now. I considered a TTR 125 but decided it was just too small overall. I'm looking for something with a 52"-55" wheelbase and full size wheels i.e. 18"/21". I could live with a 125 motor but I'm just not comfortable with the smaller framed bikes. Best choices I can come up with are the XT225, DR200, and the Super Sherpa (if I can still find one). I'd prefer to buy new, any suggestions?

The 05 Gas Gas 450 FSE is lighter than the KLR 250. And yes, it's street legal in Florida.

KLR 250 is 258 dry (accordingly to Kawasaki)

04 FSE 450 is 262

05 FSE 450 is 248

Four strokes are HEAVY. You need power to overcome the wieght. With the KLR you just have wieght.

The Gas Gas is tempting but it's too tall for my 5'8" frame and too pricey for my budget. I considered the KLR but it's taller than the Sherpa. New or nearly new Sherpas are still out there if you look for them.

KLX300R is 230# and sits low.

My 2000 KTM 400SXC is 259# (dry), but sits high.

Just because a bike is a 250 doesn't make it light.

Don't dismiss the 400cc bikes. They are about the same weight.

You can see weight of all bikes on below NADA site.

They give pricing and weigh. <<< NADA LINK >>>

Don't let ride height limit your choice.

I don't have first hand experience with lowering kits,

but below link offers them for many bikes.

< Koubalink >

I have a white 2004 Kawasaki Super Sherpa I purchased from Pro Am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I am very happy with the dealership and they mounted the dirt tires I wanted. Their mechanic did the setup, out of the crate, and lowered the bike at the seat 1" and 1 1/2" at the front forks. By this means, I can get both feet flat on the ground and I have had no complaints about the suspension setup. I got the accessory rack, a good idea before you leave the store because each year accessory rack is slightly different, so get the right one. I have since purchased a Chase Harper CH 4200 Hideway Tail Trunk, Xena locks, Stompgrip univeral sheets (for grip), and I may purchase Acerbis Rally D/S handguards and optional spoilers or Acerbis Rally Pro handguards and plastic spoilers. I also like the plain rail "bark busters" riders use around here. I haven't decided.

My goal was desert, in winter "snowbirding" to the american southwest, and dirt tracks and forest service roads and getting in and out of my own property, in the mountains.

I am very happy with the narrow profile of the bike, it's sturdiness, and along with the mechanics manual and nice toolset, supplemented only by tire replacement tools and some odds and ends I feel I can maintain and care for my own bike.

I also got the mfg. part number for the high front fender, and I was able to purchase a white high front KL250 fender at the Suzuki dealership in Great Falls, MT. They are not jerks.

The bike is duty free, as is any Kawasaki up to 650 cc. I imported it myself, for my own use. It is illegal to sell it for one year, but I am not selling.

If you want to "paper" the bike for the road, then be sure to know where to find all the stickers "good" for North America. The Owner's manual tells.

Ask the border people if you need a form, before you go up, for "emissions". The stickers should be sufficient, but you never know about paperwork, so ask.

I asked at the border about import, before I made my purchase.

There is a "army green" 2002-2003, I think, Kawasaki Super Sherpa at the Great Falls, MT Kawasaki dealership. But they are jerks. I paid $100 deposit and I was totally ignored in two separate trips to Great Falls, MT to pick up my bike, by paying in full in cash.

Maybe you will have a better experience.

I reccommend Pro Am, in Calgary.

Gas Gas Pampera. Looked pretty nice and I think it's a 280cc? Street legal and ready to go

I seriously looked at the Pampera. I did not like the construction quality, especially the frame (in particular, the quality of the welds and the material used for the frame). The shop I was at had another, slightly used one in the shop and the kick stand mount was broken off. The weld didn't break, the metal tab did. It just appears to be inferiour quality steel, or, improperly heat treated, post welding. It looked like it had crystalized and broke off, like a cast aluminum part does sometimes.

I really wasn't too impressed with it, overall, either. They had the DR200SE next to it, which I have owned for six months, and the DRD200SE felt more comfortable. The Pampera just appeared to be less refined, overall. Less attention payed to the details, etc..

The 450 appears to be better quality, but, it's too high for my taste. I didn't want to get into trying to lower a new bike, possibly voiding the warranty.

It's too bad the Sherpas are not readily available in the states anymore. I especially like them with the high mount fender. :cry:

Thanks for the tip about importing from Canada. I really like the Super Sherpa but I procrastinated too long and now they're no longer imported to the US. I presume the price in $Cdn was not too far from US MSRP.

Honda CRF-230 with custom D/S components below. Works great, looks sharp:

- K&S stock hydraulic brake light switch, # 12-0010

- K&S universal D.O.T turn signal switch w/kill switch, # 12-0040

- Pirelli: MT-320, D.O.T. tires

- TrailTech COMPUTER/SENSOR KIT, # 400-20

- UFO Oregon D.O.T. 12v 35/35w incandescent bulb headlight, built-in (non-D.O.T.) signals, # PF-01695

- UFO Taillight D.O.T Taillight with built-in (non-D.O.T.) signals, # PP-01213

- Universal 8” round folding mirror, 10x1.25 mm

- Universal horn, 12V DC, 1.0 amp, 72mm

Honda CRF-230 with custom D/S components below. Works great, looks sharp:

Under powered and overweight.

Don't hate on the guys bike like that...I could make the same argument about a 250 lb gas gas 450 that is probably only making what...50hp? If you want an ultralight dualsport..get a 2 stroke and plate it.

Most of the 250 two strokes are in the 220 lb range as is my KX500 if you believe the brochure...and around 45 hp for the 250s and around 65hp ish for the 500s.

LOL. Good point. I thought of that as I typed it. Actually the Gas Gas is 263 dry and 47 hp. Still a better power to weight ratio though. I really don't "hate" any bike but I find that people, especially newbies are "skeered" of displacement and they really shouldn't be. Thanks for keeping me honest wickedsprint. :cry:

No problem, although, if I was in florida...a GAS GAS it would be, I used to live in tampa for most of my life...and apparently it isprettyt difficult to DS a bike there.

I watched a GAS GAS 450 fall apart in under 24 hours just this weekend.. Yes it was at a race,, so ridden at race pace.. But that bike literally fell apart...in under 400 miles.. Umm no thanks..

Like every thing there are choices,, And if it works for you ride it.. But I think GAS GAS has missed the mark as a package.

It is a bike that has some very nice attributes to it, no doubt.. But the package leaves a lot to be desired.

I watched a GAS GAS 450 fall apart in under 24 hours just this weekend.. Yes it was at a race,, so ridden at race pace.. But that bike literally fell apart...in under 400 miles.. Umm no thanks..

Just curious, exactly what fell appart?, I dont own one, but from what I've seen they start out with all the parts I've bolted onto my WR400