Sign in to follow this  

97 XR250 oil check ritual?

Is it run 5 min., wait 5 min then check? Or is it something different?

Also, what is the capacity after draining the frame and engine and changing the filter?

Thanks,

Jay

im pretty sure you let it idle for 5 mins, then check it right away, add more and let it run another 5 then check right away to see if its the right amount.

Checking the oil is one of the hardest things to do on an XR. Seriously, it is hard to figure out.

If your bike is used, assume the oil in the bike is horrible spooge. Drain it and replace it with the correct amount of oil. (Do a search for XR250 oil change).

Now that you have a bike with the proper amount of oil, try checking the oil level.

You are suppose to let it run a few minutes, kill the engine, then stick the oil dipstick in (not screw it in). Most people find it reads low using this method.

I let my engine idle a few minutes, ride my XR400 around my truck, then check the oil. For some reason, using the gears makes it read properly.

I let my engine idle a few minutes, ride my XR400 around my truck, then check the oil. For some reason, using the gears makes it read properly.

Sorry if I've said this before, but I agree. I get the most accurate reading if I warm up the bike and then ride it around the block, snicking it through the gears a couple times, before checking the oil.