Sign in to follow this  

UPDATED! Crisis in MEXICO HEEELLLPP!!!!!!!!!!-

My wife, her friend and her frineds mother went on a 3 day ensenada cruise last week. Yesterday was the final stop in Ensenada. They got off the sip to shop and while wondering around witht he rest of the toursit buying nick nacks, the Mexican cops bum rush them and take them to jail for using "counterfeit american money" Now they brought ther money form home via ATM and themoney they are accusing them of having wasn't even theirs. Theirs was a new crisp 20 and the one they accused them of was old and wrinkled. After spedning hours at the police sation, they let my wfe go, who had missed the ship and had to take a bus and walk to the border in Tijuana She got a flight and is home now but her friend is still in a mexican jail in Ensenada! WFT do we do? Obviously this is a bunch of crap the crooked mexican cops made up, but what the hell can we do about it!?!?!? HEEEELLLLLPPPP

Call the American embassy, this is what they get paid for.....

Good luck

There's a Mexican Consulate in SF, and probably also in Sac. Maybe they can help. If not, we have used the best lawyer in Mexico for something not related to crooked cops (crooked real estate agents). PM me if you want his contact info. That will definitely be an expensive way to go, though.

Do any of your law enforcement partners have any back-door contacts with the Mexican police?

Try the embassy. They are not the greatest in helping tourists in need, but it is the first place to start. A good option since most Americans don't speak fluent Spanish is have a friend who is fluent go down and try some basic negotiation. 3rd world countries like to detain rich tourists because they know we will cave in on a small bribe for release. I've been in a number of places where guide service is directly related to knowing people and negotiating the price.

Did they not ask for money? Usually that is all they want. I've spent time in that jail in Ensenada. Not the best of times, but not the worst either. :cry:

I'd suggest that you PM or email Tim at Baja Bound. He is on TT as BajaBoundMoto. He may know someone that can help in a hurry. Working through the Embassy makes sense, but it will take time and you want/need them out NOW. I'd contact the Embassy afterwards to make sure that the bad cops are identified and held responsible.

Call the American council, then find the Mexican tourism board. This smells of a shakedown and the tourism board knows this kills business. I talked to one guy who was pulled over by a cop, then a tourism official showed up, told the guy to go and started screaming at the cop.

Where the hell is the tour boat crew? Unless they want to get sued, they should get off their butts and get their passenger out of jail. Do they want their Mexican cruise business killed off!

I know several people who have been thrown into jail for the night and walk the next day.

Sorry they had this trouble. Things get screwed up in Mexico.

Usually everything else is so nice, it's like having a minor problem on a fun trip.

This is pretty major and screwed up.

Keep us updated and I'll search for contacts.

Where the hell is the tour boat crew? Unless they want to get sued, they should get off their butts and get their passenger out of jail. Do they want their Mexican cruise business killed off!

Seems like they should have tried to help.

All these stories make me wonder why I should even go, Im sure

there are just as many "happy times" in Mexico but even 1 day

in a Mexican jail is not worth it...

They must target certain individuals and in this scam they must have

the help of some store owner or employee to back the cops lie...?

Why the hell cant the Mexican government get this BS under control...???

This may sound strange, but it seems like you have to know how the game is played. You get shaken down, you give up some money, and you move on. If you don't know, the police don't know how to act when things don't go as planned. They take you to jail and things get problematic.

Here is a kicker...

Do you remember when the Chief of Police in Tijuana was machinegunned at the airport about 8 years ago? My ex-girlfriend told me this story about her friend... They were watching the story on TV. They noticed the Jeep Grand Cherokee the Chief was driving had a San Diego Yacht club sticker in the window. Their stolen Jeep had the same sticker. The Chief of Police was driving a car that was stolen out of San Diego! The CHP had to contact the local police and get the car back for them.

This may sound strange, but it seems like you have to know how the game is played. You get shaken down, you give up some money, and you move on. If you don't know, the police don't know how to act when things don't go as planned. They take you to jail and things get problematic.

Your right, and its sad it has to be that way. The last thread about

Mexico had good and bad stories, some of the best advice was never

show them how much money you have. (I bet they have people hangin

near the shops that will alert them of this) Keep $20 in your

wallet & the rest hidden. Give up the $20 (even though you shouldnt

have to) and you will not go to jail.

Sad but $40 might have saved your wife & her friend from this BS.

Hope her friend gets out soon. I wonder why they let her go & not

her friend, maybe they seperated them & your wife eventualy paid them off...?

I can think of about 75 countries to visit superior to Mexico.

Just stay out of the toilet and you won't bump into turds...or get flushed. :cry: :cry:

Amen, 2BB. Sorry to hear of your situation,but with all the TT members who have posted bad experiences pertaining to Mexico, I don't think I'll ever be going there. All Mexico does is bad mouth the U.S. about not helping them enough financially. That's all they care about so screw em'. Spend your money here in the U.S. Hope it all works out for you.

Wouldn't the Secret Service be interested in counterfiet bills, or even the threat of one? I suspect that the local Mexican fuzz would crap a brick if our SS contacted them or their superiors.

Feetup... please keep us posted. While some seem to have made light of this subject, I don't think for one second that someones wife or any female for that matter, sitting in the slammer in mex is funny.

She got a flight and is home now but her friend is still in a mexican jail in Ensenada! WFT do we do? Obviously this is a bunch of crap the crooked mexican cops made up, but what the hell can we do about it!?!?!? HEEEELLLLLPPPP

If she's not out already, she needs a competent friend on the spot ASAP to give her support during her stay and get her out of there. The Mexican tourism board is a great idea. So is a local (Ensenada or TJ) newspaper. If this is a setup, publicity should make them drop her like a hot potato. If she can claim some serious illness, that might help. If these turkeys are serious about the charges, she needs someone who knows the ropes, ie a lawyer. An honest one who's on her side.

--Larry

Why did they let your wife go and not the other two?

Once she got out and in San Diego, how come she didn't contact the police to try to help her friends?

I can confirm just about all that has been said in this thread. As a regular traveler in Baja I've seen it all, from epic best to the worst. Usually $$ solves the problem. It's to bad. Americans first response to this kind of BS is to be indignant and pissed off. Rightfully so!! But in mex, it usually makes things worse. In my experience, once you get pissed and get in their face, most cops get scared. They know what they are doing is wrong. They tend to behave like cornered animals. Usually over reacting and freaking out. I have been able to use this to my advantage, but it requires a large set of b%&@s and the knowledge that they are wrong and will eventually back down. The fact that they prey on 'tourists' and women is shamefull, but those people are the least likely to fight back and usually easiest to scare. All this is complete bs and America should really crack down. We loan mex a lot (as in billions) of monew, overlook illegal immigration, and generally look the other way as they take advantage of what we have worked so hard for. OK enough of my rant! The flip side of this is that I have met some of the best people in the world in Baja and have had experiences there that I will never forget. It is just to bad that the bad so often overshaddows the good. As far as the woman in jail, by all means call the consulate, the tourist board, the Ensenada police HQ, the cruise line.... The more hell you raise the better. No one down there really wants the full force of the US comming down on them. Good luck and keep us informed.

Sorry you guys all have such bad experiences down there. I go about four times a year on bikes and never have problems granted I stay out of tourist areas. I camp out on ranches and in the desert alone. Never a single problem. Good luck getting her out. I will watch for this scam in the future. Lets all remember the police in the us have taken advantage of mexicans once or twice as well. Not an excuse for terrible behavior in either country but it isn't only mexico.

joe

This one sounds a little weirder than average shakedown. The proper (bribery) response is probably, "Bad $20's? Here you might want to take these 20's and check them out. We are going back to the boat to yell at the ships purser who cashed our check."

I was shaken down in Tijuana by a traffic cop. I paid too much but it was my first trip down there. Same charges against my friends in the car behind us was 1/3 less. But they had a beat up VW van and spoke fluent Spanish. The phrase here is, "I understand that I can give you the money and you will pay the fine for me." It sucks, but that is a "vacation tax". My friend now refuses to pay more than $20 as in, "I can give you the $20 or wait for another cop to show up and give it to him." The Tourism board knows this shakedown is bad for business. I am completely surprised the cruise boat company and the Tourist Board didn't jump on this problem.