Sign in to follow this  

05 CRF450 - Grease?

Wondering if those of you that have took the steering head and linkage apart for the 2005 CRF450 have found decent grease in those areas from the factory (or dealer)?

mine no I greased the linkage and swingarm thursday night ,not much there,the steering head I packed when I put my 20mm emig clamps on,also I drilled and tapped the steering head and put a grease zerk in it it will get grease often now.

Mine had plenty. First time ever. All past bikes were dry. I would take it apart and check it anyway. Better to find out there is enough than not have any.

My 05 had enough greese on the upper bearing but the lower one had NOTHING. so I packed em up just real nice!! :cry:

headset had what i would call fish oil,,,the swing arm was the same,,,,the linkage was well greased. I ALWAYS disasemble a new bike.

I had mine apart a couple nights ago. The linkage had probably an adequate amount of a dark grease, but I cleaned the bearings and regreased anyway. The steering head bearings were suprisingly well greased! Had a good pack of whitish grease (I assume moly grease) on the top and bottom bearings, along with the seals. I re-packed anyway, since I had it apart. I haven't had the swingarm off yet...maybe I should check that this weekend. I am very pleased with the factory/dealer prep on my bike. In addition to the bike being greased well, I went over all the fasteners twice now after two rides. The only loose bolt I found was the kick starter bolt. I loctited that one. Of course, I had to tighten the spokes after both rides, but that is a given. They stretch when they are new.

This is the first one that had out of seven that had a fair amount of grease but I regeased them anyway with belray waterproof grease :cry: axle bolts were dry

Agreed, axle bolts were dry for me too. Steering head bearings were a little light, but not bad. Linkage actually wasn't bad....but they got a greasin'.

Just finished puttin mine all back together and I am very surprised to say I didn't put one dab of grease on anything, The bike was perfect as shipped! First time I have never had to grease a new bike. MIKE :cry:

I work at a shop and I've done my bike and 2 others and I was impressed with the amount that all bikes had on them. The lower sterring bearing didn't have as much as everywhere else but it still had grease.