Sign in to follow this  

Mud Prep

What do you guys do to get ready for a big mud race? I have heard of lower air pressure; front- 8-10, back 6-8, spraying pam under the fenders, tear offs, a extra lens on you visor, softening up suspension, duck-taping bark busters, and anything else?

----------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier

plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter,white brothers e-series, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

in all those wintage mx trivia questions, i saw how that they duct taped the top of the visor on the helmet so that the mud would not flow down in the goggles, i don't know if they still do it. Seemed like a good idea, but i never tried it ( don't race).

i believe that ive read to keep your hands from getting muddy and everything...duct tape the handguards to make them bigger....you could also get i believe a certain type of elephant ear handguard so that your hands are mud free...good luck :cry:

Depending on what type of mud. IF a lot of mud buildup is expected you stiffen the suspension. I don't ever soften it more than I already have it. I typically run 12 psi ft & rear but in a wet race I will run 11 ft and 10 rear. If extremely slimy and it is tough just to keep moving I will go to 10psi ft. and 8 psi rear. Now I run a big 4 stroke also. I also tape the sides of the ft. fender to prevent mud from building up in the radiators.

Cher'o,

Dwight

If its a uber-muddy race and there are fuel stops, I've used fender tear-offs. 2 strips of 2" packaging tape on the bottom of the fender with enough hanging off the back part to grab. When you stop for gas, tear that baby off and you'll have a clean fender to start the next lap. Works well front and rear. I'll run a layer of that for every planned gas stop.

Another thing to do is to foam your skid plate. Any open area between the plate and the bike gets filled with some water-proof foam. This will take a while to cut the foam to fit, but your plate will not fill up with mud. On some bikes, you can prevent upwards of 10lbs of mud from hanging on the bike.

Lot's o' tear offs for the goggs.

It the bike had a front sprocket cover, I'll get rid of that before the race. They usualy just gather mud and hold it against the chain.

I've seen a sock like thing that you can put over the rear shock to keep the mud from collecting there, but I've never used one myself.

During the race, I'll make an effort to spin up the back tire right after a sticky section to help clear out the mud from the knobs before I get to the next mess.

That and I try to haul as much ass and my balls will allow. I find that the more momentum I have before hitting a mud hole, the easier time I have getting through it. When I come up to a clog of riders sitting and trying to pick lines before a mud hole, I'll normaly click down a gear, aim the bike towards the outside, eyes where I want to come out, ass towards the back, handfull of throttle, hang on and hope for the best. Even if I don't make it on 2 wheels, the momentum usualy carries the crashing bike and my tumbling body to the other side. And it's always easier to pick the bike up after the mud hole rather than in the mud hole. :cry:

Even if I don't make it on 2 wheels, the momentum usualy carries the crashing bike and my tumbling body to the other side. And it's always easier to pick the bike up after the mud hole rather than in the mud hole.

LOL... That's a different perspective.

Run you chain a touch looser because when mud packs around your sprockets you chain could be too tight when you bottom out and snap.

Be sure to grease your kick starter--keeps the mud out and you can flip it open to start it after you ghost ride it through the mud hole. Like it was said above, it is easier to pick up the bike on the other side than to drag it out of the middle!

Be sure to also grease your lever pivots and shifter pivot. Put foam where mud can collect.

Like Dwight said--stiffen up the suspension. Go about 3 clicks stiffer on compression, maybe even 4 or 5. After one lap, your bike will weigh at least 10 pounds or more, and could be 30 pounds heavier at the end of the race, even though your tank and hydropack are empty.

Put an old goggle lens on your visor to extend it.

Put a couple of clean wet wash cloths in a baggy (or baby wipes) and stuff it in your waist band at small of your back or rig a pocket on your chest protector. Use this to wipe off your gloves and grips if you get mud on them.

I like that idea of using the wide packing tape under the fenders. I put a mud flap on the bottom of my front fender and tape up the gap between my skid plate and frame. Put a loose hanging mud flap on the front of your fender--this keeps mud from flinging off your front tire up and then you driving into it and getting it into your face.

Carry an extra pair of goggles on the back of your chest protector or in a hydropack pocket. Also carry an extra pair of gloves, even if they are only Mechanix type. Any clean dry glove is better than wet muddy ones.

Use solid brake rotors and sintered pads. The Moose ones are really nice and disipate heat better than the others.

Use ScotchGaurd on the front of your pants. Mud doesn't stick as much and it helps water proof your pants. Tape the top of your boots shut.

I hate mud in my old age. It takes too long to clean and stains the whites on my nice riding gear!

softening up suspension,

YOU WANT TO MAKE IT STIFFER YO COMPENSATE FOR THE MUD :cry:

----------

1987 Xr250r- 909 Team talls, Millville tires, maier

plastics, ufo universal mx fender, cycra bark busters, k&n airfilter,white brothers e-series, snorkel removed, and many more experiments.

1961 Honda 90

Be sure to grease your kick starter--keeps the mud out and you can flip it open to start it after you ghost ride it through the mud hole. Like it was said above, it is easier to pick up the bike on the other side than to drag it out of the middle!

Kick Starter what kick starter HHAHAHA im sry but you cant beat the push the button method of starting up a bike

Kick Starter what kick starter HHAHAHA im sry but you cant beat the push the button method of starting up a bike

Not all of us have that luxurie :cry: