Sign in to follow this  

Should I even bother?

Okay..heres my situation...

im about 5'4 and i weigh around 125 lbs, im small. as u can see i ride a rm125 and i really like the bike but i want to get my suspension set up for my weight, or around my weight, lol 😢 I was looking on racetech.com and the lightest fork springs i can find are for someone a good 15 lbs heavier then i am, i already have a softer shock spring that would be equivlent to the fork springs, if i bought them. Would springs suffice with stock valving? The bike has good bottoming resistance. I bottom out rarely, and its only when i hit fmx ramps or land flat (i went 3/4 across an 80 ft table top and landed flat, my ankles went numb 😢) but it swaps when i go through whoops and when i go through any chop the rear wheel starts to hop, making me lose speed. What im looking for is a bike that absorbs chop and can track straight in the rough and still maintain bottoming resistance when i go big...i guess thats what everyone is looking for but what im asking is: Should I save all my paychecks for a suspension revalve or just get springs? I mainly ride motocross and freeride, not a serious trail rider but i occasionaly go for a nice trail ride. Am I too light for the bike, even with a revalve? Im kind of reluctant to revalve also because say; I get it set up for a 130 lb rider and then I grow and gain 15 lbs, wat am i gonna do then? lol...im not made of money and my parents dont give a hoot about my riding or racing, so i could be screwed!

I am the same weight as you.. What I generally do is go ahead and get a rear spring that is proper for my weight.

You'll probably only have to go .2 or .4 lighter than stock.

For the forks, I often can do with stock springs, but run the oil height 10mm less oil than stock (105mm instead of 95mm for example). Of course do not exceed min-max limits for your forks. I don't know showa setups that well as my KX's use KYB suspension...

Just doing the above and fine tuning with the clickers I'm able to get my suspension to track well, handle the small stuff, and not clank on the big stuff really well.

If that doesn't work for you, then the next thing would be to go ahead and get fork springs for your weight.

If your still not happy, then go ahead and get the re-valve done.. As you grow, you can put the stiffer springs back in and you'll still be ok..

Use a pair of .40's up frt. and 4.2 on the rear. You will get good sag numbers and the bike will handle well. Save the money for revalves and just get them serviced good.

doc

Keep in mind that your gears will weight up to 10 lbs. THat means you will weigh about 135 lbs. I think it's fine on a 125 2stroke. I assume you are a young lad. If that is the case, you will grow.

I think you are fine on the 2stroke.

By the way, trying gasing it as you land.... 😢

Yeah, thats why I was concered about valving cuz im growing. and yes, my best skill is landing on the gas!! ill try messing with the clickers some more and probably get the fork springs.

Use a pair of .40's up frt. and 4.2 on the rear. You will get good sag numbers and the bike will handle well. Save the money for revalves and just get them serviced good.

doc

Where can I get .40 springs for a twin chamber 48 MM Showa fork assembly? Ractech has .35 & .38 ..where do u get springs from?

doc

Where can I get .40 springs for a twin chamber 48 MM Showa fork assembly? Ractech has .35 & .38 ..where do u get springs from?

Cannon Racecraft.

doc

oops! i meant 47 mm. thanks doc, would they happen to have a website?