Sign in to follow this  

Low Tech

Just stopped by to see whats up.

Very amusing to read all the concerns about longevity and maint.

Everyone expects to have a factory race bike with the reliability of there old air cooled rides.

The factory has whole teams of mechanics to keep there bikes going for the season.

We spend a very small amount by comparison and expect to get by with just changing the oil for the next 5 years.

Your getting the race technology. This is the price you have to pay for it.

I would settle for modern suspension and light weight with more reliablilty even if it means less horsepower and RPM.

Not trying to stir up trouble just making an observation.

honestly, we're running pistons with comp ratios of 12.6:1 from the factory; then some of us put 13.5:1 from the factory and we complain that the engine doesn't last long. We're starting to get awfully close to diesel compression ratios and if u know ur history, u remember that diesels kept blowing up when they first made em cuz they couldn't take the force.

Good point

Not to mention the fact that our pump gas is questionable.

I drive a Supercharged Lightning pickup. Lots of the guys that have them uped the boost have ventilated there blocks due to a bad tank of gas. Cold weather is another thing that increased air density and an agressive tune means sudden death.

I don't see how the bike manufactor's get the bike to run with this high compression on 91 pump gas.

I know the they have the TPS sensor but we are missing all the fancy knock sensor's that cars have.

Truly an amazing like DRZ engine and a wonderful time to have the race technology available to the little guy on the street.

Leave it to the end user to find problems and the aftermarket to find the solutions.

We're starting to get awfully close to diesel compression ratios

Try again, diesels run at 20:1 or higher, pretty much double ours, plus they're turbo charged!

been working on diesels for 20 years..i havent seen any run at 17:1..but then again i dont work on little stuff, 7000 cubes and bigger or 3000 horses or bigger :cry:, but still 17:1 sure seems to me like thats a low figure..but back to the topic..yes i agree to get the performance that you have come to expect your gonna have alot of repairs..heck look at nhra..some of them engines only run 4 seconds :cry: