Sign in to follow this  

Owner Of A New KTM 450EXC

I had just put down my down payment on a new 05 KTM 450EXC. Im pretty stoked right now. The dealer said I should be able to pick it up Tuesday because they got to retrieve it from Gresham. Don't worry I will post plenty of pictures when I recieve it. It feals weird right now because this is going to be the first dirt bike i'm going to buy without actually riding one before hand. Could you guys give some re assurance of how you think of your 450. I'm sure though im going to be extremly happy though, YIIIPPPY NEW BIKE!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Congrats!! I look forward to the day I get to start the same post.

I have been trying to decide which EXC I was going to buy until I rode my buddys '05 450exc last weekend. Im getting the 450!

Dont worry, your going to love it :cry:

I really hate mine........... I am soooo tired of my face hurting from smiling so much when I ride it!!!! :cry:

Congrats!! I got an '05 a month and a half ago. I'm loving it!

Congrats - I am also a new 05' KTM 450 exc owner. It is by far the finest dirt bike I have ever owned!! I am selling my 03" DR Z400S right now. My buddy who owns an 02' DR Z400E has already put his bike up for sale after riding my bike for 20 minutes!!!! He couldn't believe the difference in handling and of course power!!!

Congrats - I am also a new 05' KTM 450 exc owner. It is by far the finest dirt bike I have ever owned!! I am selling my 03" DR Z400S right now. My buddy who owns an 02' DR Z400E has already put his bike up for sale after riding my bike for 20 minutes!!!! He couldn't believe the difference in handling and of course power!!!

from one DRZ owner to another....... are you concerned about reliability, maintenace, parts.......those headaches/ ya know how solid the DRZ is. I never have to do anything but change the oil practicaly.

YES I do recgonize that the KTMs are gonna rock my world when I finally get to ride one..... and next fall I will buy a second bike - probably the 525 MXC..... just curious - I'm not a racer so I won't be running the KTM into full rpms and hard duty........but I'm also not a weekend mechanic - I like realibility and low maintence.

what are your thoughts?

Hey BigBob,

I just bought an 04' 450 EXC last week. I'll let you ride it anytime. Lets set up a ride soon and you can try it out.

As far as reliabilty goes, I have heard of no major problems with these bikes. Thats exactly why I may be getting rid of the X.

Shoot me a PM and we'll set up a ride. It will be good to see again :cry:

I was forced to do the same, I waited and waited for a demo, just ended up buying one. I have no regrets except still sometime wonder if i shoulda stayed with a smoker - but the bike is everything i expected it to be.

so u can relax. you will love it

the difference between the drz and exc bikes is even more pronounced going over sloppy terrain. My 525 absolutely floats over sand, makes it so much fun. I am keeping the drz anyway cuz singles dont last very long so might as well have 2.

Your going from a 450R to the 450EXC... the honda makes a lot of power and has a stong hit, you might be a little let down by that, but I think you will like it a lot in the woods. I, like many here went from a DRZ to the KTM and couldn't be happier. Had a chance to spend some time on the new honda 250x over the weekend and still love my ktm!

Can't say there is a lot more maintence on the ktm over the drz. Had to adjust the valves for the first time on a bike... that wasn't too bad. Probably should of done it at some point on the drz but never did. Fork seals... everyone knows about those, but now I have the Synergy seals and hopefully will be done with that problem. Other than that it's been rock solid and a absolute blast to ride! Can't imagine changing to something else... man that's a good feeling!

Ok here is the update, my bike just got pushed back to the middle of next week. Now they are going to ship the bike to medford. Long story short I should be getting the bike next wednesday thursday. I'm getting vey ancey right now.

Your going from a 450R to the 450EXC... the honda makes a lot of power and has a stong hit, you might be a little let down by that, but I think you will like it a lot in the woods. I, like many here went from a DRZ to the KTM and couldn't be happier. Had a chance to spend some time on the new honda 250x over the weekend and still love my ktm!

Can't say there is a lot more maintence on the ktm over the drz. Had to adjust the valves for the first time on a bike... that wasn't too bad. Probably should of done it at some point on the drz but never did. Fork seals... everyone knows about those, but now I have the Synergy seals and hopefully will be done with that problem. Other than that it's been rock solid and a absolute blast to ride! Can't imagine changing to something else... man that's a good feeling!

Yea I know the EXC isn't going to have the hit the CRF does. But realy thats one of the reasons I sold the CRF, the hit just really wears you out on the 100 mile enduros I do. I relly want something more mellow without the hit but still has the power to bring the front up when I need it. I think that the EXC will be very smooth for the tight single track but still have power when I need it. Plus I have always wanted a KTM.

Plus I have always wanted a KTM.

Ahhh... the emotional part of buying a new bike! :cry:

You will love it then!

I just got back from the dealer with my new KTM 450E, man is this bike beautiful. The first thing I did when I got home was opean the case KTM gave me along with a pen, 3 different manuals, some different coupons, and a tool bag. The tool bag was pretty cool although they have one tool thats looks almost identical to a beer can opeaner. Anyways I took out the main manual. The thing I noticed was it was about 500 pages long. But I actually opeaned the book up and noticed only a fifth of the writing was in english. Oh well I did like the cover of the manual though. I read most of it then decided to take it for a little 15 min break in, in front of my house. I Turned on the gas choke put it in neautral and gave one kick and it fired right up. First thing I noticed was how much I loved the first gear on this bike, Almost perfect for the trails. Another thing I noticed was that this bike has more engine breaking then my CRF450. That is just something i'm going to have to get use to though. I really didn't thromp on it but I did give it about a quarter blip of the throttle and the front end came right up. I think the transfer from the CRF450 to the KTM 450 is going to be fairly easy. I think I could really get use to the E start, just push the button and go, now thats how it should always be . Ok now for the question. My pipe turned different colors, is the pipe going to stay that way or is it going to eventually turn back to the regular color? Another thing is the jetting, It was popping a whole lot an deceleration. I cant really afford to buy a jd jetting kit right now, do you think I could make do with just turning the air screw and raising/lowering the needle a clip or two untill I could afford the kit? Will this get rid of all of the colors and stop the popping? Other then these couple of set backs i'm very happy with the new ktm. Now I know know why you guys would spend a little more for the ktm and the extras. Once my bike gets broken in I will give amore detailed report on the new ktm. Sorry but I couldnt figure out how to send pictures over the internet.

My 525 pipe got darker but not black, more purple. I guess you could clean it all the time, but I don't bother, I bought the bike to ride, it. :cry:

As for the engine braking, I'd say my 525 has more, and my YZ450 is probably about same as the CRF450. I'll go down hills and ride trails about a gear higher to avoid engine braking and cause the 525 can pull it.

The engine braking is awesome when your feeling lazy, you can cruise around with the wife/girlfriend and never use the brakes. Its like a corvette compared to a RX7.

Mine popped a lot, I had it dyno-tuned and it runs awesome but still pop's some. But only if I shut the throttle quickly, give it a little gas and its fine.

As for reliability, my cousin husband had a 1999 WR400 that he rode everyday practically (unless 20' of snow out, he lives in truckee) dual sported it, rode it to work etc. and put a TON of miles on it. Anyway he just got a 2004 KTM 450EXC cause his buddies EXC were even more reiable and they all moved up there to ride everyday. All ex-racers that got tired of the Bay and just wanted to ride.

My only complaints with the KTM are ergo's, Its too small (Fixed that with Tall seat, pushing bars forward and lower pegs), the pegs are too low (might flip mine around to put them back to stock height), and its too much fun to ride (I hardly ride my other two bikes. :cry:

Good luck on the new toy,

I think the pipe discoloration tends to be somewhat permanent. There are some products out there that remove some of it (simi-chrome?), but it is probably best to jet a little richer soon to avoid it in the first place. Congrats on the new ride.

I just got back from the dealer with my new KTM 450E, man is this bike beautiful. The first thing I did when I got home was opean the case KTM gave me along with a pen, 3 different manuals, some different coupons, and a tool bag. The tool bag was pretty cool although they have one tool thats looks almost identical to a beer can opeaner. Anyways I took out the main manual. The thing I noticed was it was about 500 pages long. But I actually opeaned the book up and noticed only a fifth of the writing was in english. Oh well I did like the cover of the manual though. I read most of it then decided to take it for a little 15 min break in, in front of my house. I Turned on the gas choke put it in neautral and gave one kick and it fired right up. First thing I noticed was how much I loved the first gear on this bike, Almost perfect for the trails. Another thing I noticed was that this bike has more engine breaking then my CRF450. That is just something i'm going to have to get use to though. I really didn't thromp on it but I did give it about a quarter blip of the throttle and the front end came right up. I think the transfer from the CRF450 to the KTM 450 is going to be fairly easy. I think I could really get use to the E start, just push the button and go, now thats how it should always be . Ok now for the question. My pipe turned different colors, is the pipe going to stay that way or is it going to eventually turn back to the regular color? Another thing is the jetting, It was popping a whole lot an deceleration. I cant really afford to buy a jd jetting kit right now, do you think I could make do with just turning the air screw and raising/lowering the needle a clip or two untill I could afford the kit? Will this get rid of all of the colors and stop the popping? Other then these couple of set backs i'm very happy with the new ktm. Now I know know why you guys would spend a little more for the ktm and the extras. Once my bike gets broken in I will give amore detailed report on the new ktm. Sorry but I couldnt figure out how to send pictures over the internet.

Yes, raise the needle one or two clips until it runs with no backfiring. To richen the fuel screw, screw it out.