Sign in to follow this  

How to get max up fast?

I was wondering if anyone has a good workout to get the max benchpress up fast. Theres a chart in my weight lifting class but im wondering if there is a better way. Im trying to get some protein things and stuff. Im 15 170-175lbs and max about 200. im hoping to get 225 fairly soon(few weeks). I want to get 250 by the end of they school year(end of may). I started at like 170lbs? max 9 weeks ago but i didnt really workout much for strength but i ride my pedalbike a lot. I saw some program that says you can boost 50lbs in 3 weeks but its like $30 and im not sure if it works.

Men's Health has a website that has some good articles I'm sure. Also! If something sounds to good to be true like, "50 pounds in 3 weeks" it's probably not true...

I really know nothing about weight lifting but what I've read and what I've experienced. I'm 36 5'7 150 pounds and max 225.. I went from 185 to 225 in about 9 months which included a head-on collision (not my fault) that broke some ribs and my sternum and everything else that usually happens...

I did it by:

Chest twice a week varying exercises weekly, incline, decline, straight bench, flys and dumbell routines. (variety is important, surprize them with something different each week)

Protein after workouts. I used nitro-tech kinda expensive but now I drink designer whey. I don't know the difference except for price.

Eat Eat Eat, good food not junk, there are many menus you can search for that muscle guys use.

Don't forget your other muscles either there are many exercises that you can do that hit alot of muscle groups.

Like I said I'm no muscle-guru I'd just hate to see you put stuff in your body that could hurt you and waste your money..

Do you have a workout partner? If so, mix in some negatives, i.e., use more weight than you can lift on your own (10-20 lbs) and slowly control the downward movement and have your partner help lift it back up. Do 3-4 sets of 3 like that. If you do not have a partner, but have a safety rack, set the pins at about mid-height of the lift and load the bar up again really heavy. Start with the bar on the pins and try to drive the bar off the pins to full extension. Both of these exercises help your body get used to heavier weight which sometimes is all it takes to increase your max. The strength may already be there, you just need to "find" it.

My advice to you would be to take your time in the gym, especially at 15 years old. I remember when I was in the gym at 16 (I am 38 now), and could squat 230 for ten, and 250 for 8 rep's, so I figured I should be able to at least do a single rep' with 280 :cry: Well, when I was trapped at the bottom of the squat with 280 on my shoulders, the two guys who lifted the weight back onto the rack were my new best friends..... I learnt that day to #1: know your limits, and #2: If you're too young and stupid to know your limits, have a couple of guys to spot you :cry: If you can bench 200 at 15, you're doing pretty good, don't overdo it though..... Going too heavy at your age (any age really) can lead to muscle tears/strains, also joint and tendon problems. I would concentrate on proper form, rather than max' weight. That goes for all movements, not just bench :cry: :cry:

yes i have a partner. what i usually do is do my workout and sometimes i cant get the last 2 or something on the last set but i push and he helps me when i get stuck.

At 41 I finally figured out that quick increases in weight are always followed by injury, no ifs,ands or buts. To safely increase your max bench takes long term periodization, work the muscle progressively then back off and start again. But why are you concerned about max anything? Unless you are a competitive body builder or football player you don't need it.

search the internet for a supplement called creatine! Keep hydrated and stretch before every workout. Everyone says to take it with grape juice but it is horrible in your mouth( has no taste but feels like sand) so I take it with water and chug it as fast as I can and then drink grape juice afterwards .

im not sure about the creatine. i heard bad things about it like when you workout and then take a break your muscles decrease faster. im thinking of gettin some protiem. is this good? whats whey protien?

i want to be strong plus me and the guys in the class are having a contest sorda. we didnt say it but it kinda is. i dont want to be really fake in the building either though. so far im ahead at 200. the others at 190-195. this is only like 4 others trying to beat me but its fun being in front of the pack.

Creatine will get you there fast. Especially Phosphagen HP. But you will also retain water and gain water weight as well.

well i dont want to get fatter. i want to be strong but cut. does creatine increase weight(not muscle weight) to make you look fat? Will it cause a faster decrease in muscle when not working out?

Dude, I can tell you from 15 years of weight lifting experience, that increasing your max press is going to take time. The heavier the weight becomes, the longer it takes to reach the next goal. But keep chipping away at it, and eventually it will come.

Trying to rush it will only disappoint you, and possibly tear up your shoulders. As a goal, try to increase your working weight (rep sets) by either one rep per workout, or by adding 2.5lbs to the bar each workout. If you can't do it, have your spotter give you a couple of 'forced reps', where you do your 5 to 7 reps with heavy weight, then your spotter helps you get those last couple of impossible reps out, while forcing you to fight the bar for every inch.

You seem to have an excellent attitude towards this, which is, wanting, striving, to press more weight. This is a positive thing, and more power to ya! And it's that type of attitude that will lead you to your goals. But patience is also important. So keep chipping away at it, your goals will come in time.

The good thing about this is that you are building strength at a young age. Believe me, it's worth it. Because ten years down the road, if you stick with it, you will be in excellent shape, while many of your friends will already be getting fat, lazy, weak, sickly, and out of shape, while you will look great and be very healthy. Not to mention being many time stronger and more powerful than most people.

Good luck dude and stick with it!

Creatine does add a few lbs to your body weight, but it will not make you look fat, in fact it helps fill out your muscles. The reason it does this is because creatine is stored in the body by binding with water molecules and they are stored within the muscle. That is why it is so important to drink water when taking creatine. The creatine removes "free" water from the body, which can make you more susceptable to dehydration if you are not careful. Overall, creatine is a very safe supplement that I would recomend to anyone. Also, it is a naturally occuring molecule that is found in red meat that your body does need. Its not a synthetic, lab created compound like Andro. Also, your bench won't decrease faster when you quit lifting other than creatine helped you get to a higher max than you would have acheived otherwise and when you quit, your body will try to go back to it's original strength so you have farther to fall.

I agree with what the one guy said about mixing in some negative reps. You could mix in a few sets at bench where the weight may be alittle heavier than what you can handle. But with the help of a partner he can help you get it back up again. Or try bring the weight half way down and pushing it back up. It will prepare your muscles to move the heavier weight all the way through the motion and you can slowly add more motion to it or get your partner to help. You can also try using a weight you normally use or alittle bit less and as you bring the weight all the way down try to push it up in an expolsive type manner. But make sure you are fully stretched and using the proper weight not to injury yourself. This will help with your power at the bottem of the push and quicker your reflex. As you get to heavy weights it may help to get that weight pushed up as you develop the power. Try mixing in a set of these once in a while with regular bench and it should help you move to heavier weight. But like the other guys said too rapid of weight increase ments can cause injury. Good luck and be safe!

Disclaimer: Always work withen your limits, always use a spotter, you know the rest. And certainly be careful at your age. A lot of growing and too much lifting can put too much stress on growth plates.

Now that is out of the way. Look into pyramid workouts. A lot of Fire Depts use them. They go off your current max and follow a smooth growth pattern. It builds endurance and strength. Remember if you are trying to build your chest to work each muscle group the same, it will make you a lot stronger and safer. It not just your chest that will increase your max, it's everything.

I started lifting regularly in March (I go 5 days a week). Then my max was 185...I am now pushin 265... I started taking creatine in May, and I noticed some significant results, as far as size, strength, and lack of fatigue. My max in June-July was 235. After that I started taking whey protein (3 shakes a day). I noticed even more results as far as size. And some more in strength, but not as significant as the creatine. Do you want strength or to look ripped? Strength is more easily achieved than the looks... you need to eat right, and have a well regimented workout plan. There's a lot involved in bench, you need to work your arms, back, and shoulders as well. I use this site to base my workout on

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

I would first recommend not using any supplements until you reach a plateau. Then try creatine, and then protein, so you can evaluate the results of each, and your own results without supps. I use all GNC Products..

www.gncproperformance.com

I consume about 1 gram of protein for every pound of my body weight, to keep my protein intake high. Also try and eat more complex carbs (wheat bread, potatoes, etc..).

http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html

I consume about 1 gram of protein for every pound of my body weight, to keep my protein intake high. Also try and eat more complex carbs (wheat bread, potatoes, etc..).

That's a good site for reference. I use that a lot.

If you're looking into using protein be aware that 1g per pound is good if you are staying very active.

Be aware of your body and if you are not working out enough 1g will be too much. Just try different things until you feel you are getting what you need.

There are many out there but I like the Simply Whey from EAS. Tastes pretty good and is not chaulky at all. All three flavors are good.

Keep reading up and find what fits you best. Right now I am trying the Body for Life routine. It's similar to a previous workout I came up for my self that I know worked for me so it should have good results.

:cry:

Only hit the bench one day a week. I like Mondays. I go as heavy as I can every Monday. Warmup, then sets like 8-5-3-1-1. Its all a mental thing. You will find yourself craving this workout. It makes your mind think that EVERYTIME you bench, you go heavy. Save your high rep stuff for the incline, decline, flys, that type of stuff. I was stuck at 325 forever, then I hit 405 within months. I dont eat real well, drink too much beer, dont sleep enough,and the like. But I will tell you what, this works. Only bench once a week, and ALWAYS GO HEAVY. :cry: I agree with the other TT'ers advice for overall fitness, and remember NEVER SACRIFICE TECHNIQUE FOR WEIGHT. :cry:

A pyramid workout is like what is mentioned just above. It is based on a % of your max. I've seen it as 8-6-4-2-1-8 reps, with an increase in weight as you progress to the lower rep sets, with the final 8 rep set going back to a lighter weight. I too would like to see a website with a decent chart. I've looked, but never found one. In the past when I've used it, a coach or training partner has had a copy of the chart.

I searched again and found some more info. It's not quite like the one I remember using, but here's how it goes. Weight is % of 1 rep max

40% - 12

75% - 6

100% - 1

95% - 1

95% - 1

85% - 4

70% - 8

65% - to failure