Sign in to follow this  

2004 XR400 Facts

I have a CA plated 2004 XR400R. It was sold new in 2003 and plated after the law changed but before anybody really knew. I raced MX as a kid and got back into riding after about 15 years off. A friend turned me on to TT and I read some things about my bike that I now know aren't true.

I just came in from the garage. I yanked the air box snorkle off just like everyone tells you to . No problem. I removed the stock baffle and replaced it with a less restrictive one. No problem. I rejeted the carb like everyone says to do. I did it but what a pain in the ass. The book says you have to remove the muffler and sub frame. That's not true. I just loosened the muffler and slid it up out of the way. Same for the sub frame. I removed the lower bolts and loosened the top. I then swung the sub frame up out of the way. The next thing I did was looked at the intake manifold on the front of the carb that mounts to the head. There are posts on TT with pictures indicating a restriction. Not on my CA 2004 XR4. Wide open. Next I attempted to remove the screws from the choke plate because I read on TT that I should replace the stock choke plate because the screws can fall out and get sucked in the the engine. Not on my stock CA 2004 XR400R. The screws on my choke plate won't budge. The back side of the screws have been split open and flatened out by the factory to prevent them from coming out. Anyway I jetted the bike with a 62/162 an A16 needle on the 3rd groove and it seems to run stronger. Not a huge deal but certainly worth the $10 worth of jets and the $40 baffle. Took me 3 hours because I didn't know what I was doing. Could do it Next time in about 40 minutes.

Good luck and don't believe everything you read.

Next I attempted to remove the screws from the choke plate because I read on TT that I should replace the stock choke plate because the screws can fall out and get sucked in the the engine. Not on my stock CA 2004 XR400R. The screws on my choke plate won't budge.

What happened to mine was the spring broke, and was allowing the choke plate flapper to flap at will. That part in the butterfly is in case of a backfire, it will have a place to go. I replaced it with one of these:

cp400_billet_choke_plate_small.jpg

that another TT'er gave to me(Thanks again MainJet2001! :cry: ).

What baffle did you use? Sounds interesting. Might try it on my 2002 instead of the factory one drilled out.

I bought the same kit as you did. I just couldn't get the screws out of the stock plate because they're kinda smashed flat on the back side. Is this something new on the 04's?

I used a Baja D. "Competition" baffle. Other than the larger hole in the end (about the size of a silver dollar) it looks sock. It sound good. Louder but not obnoxious. My bike stock sounded like a lawn mower.

Didn't have a problem removing my choke plate. Just make sure you use locktite on the new screws, and line that plate up side to side. I;m not aware of it being an '04 only issue. :cry: