Sign in to follow this  

Quick fix for YZF headlight

Doing a 24 race and will be riding about 1-2 hours of night riding. I never ride after dark and would have to spend about $300 for a stator and front head light. Wondering if there's an inexpensive alternative to having to fork over the big $$$. Thought about zip tying a spot light to the front fender but they won't last long enough and I'm afraid I'll be ticketed by the "half-ass" :cry: :thumbsup:police and put in their hall of fame!!!

Rob the power from TPS, the 5 volts should enable a led taillight and a halogen headlight. I'm no electrician, don't ask me more. But I know it works, since I have seen it on my friend's bike. You may need a battery powered additional light too, maybe a helmet unit?

Sorry there is no cheep way, lights need power and that is it, if you have no power you have no lights!! I know what you are talking about try to find someone that will rewind your stator you can find info online, I have seen things on line where people have re did theres for $30.00 or so other than that you have to buy a new stator

Woah, and buy a cheap junk stator and prepare to DNF the race. If I remember correct, the original YZF stator has 4 wound units for spark. A junk stator for lights has 2 for spark and 2 for lights. What happens, especially if you hi-rev a long straight or in stage transit, the stator heats up and fails. Cheap = junk = DNF = pi$$ed up. Seen that, I was in the service crew for a race classleader. The last stage turned into returntrip home with lots of beer. :cry::cry: