I did a very bad thing today

A buddy of mine who has been a BIG believer in Yamaha 4 strokes after a few years on orange, swapped bikes with me today. Now, keep in mind we are desert racers, we are sceered of air. My bike is rejetted, piped (with arrestor), 33oz Trail Tech flywheel weight, Pro-Tapers, billeted clutch cable bracket (A MUST), Scotts Damper, not to mention all the protective items. I also have the same springs in my 450 as the CRF250 (.45 front and 5.3 rear), which is one step lighter.

O.K. My buddy got rid of his '03 YZ450F about 4 months ago, and has been riding an '03 RM250 just for fun while waiting for the '05 (YZs) to arrive. Well after months of waiting it came, this nice shiny blue '05. Today was his second ride. We got to the half way point in our ride today, and after hearing him complain about his suspension being too stiff and turn clickers for half a ride, I said "let's trade until we get back to the trailer." First I will throw a kudo at the YZ - it has more power than my '04 CRF - NO QUESTION! The suspension however, is beyond STIFF!

A little side note: my buddy is much much much faster than me, he is a local fast guy. I was sick all day yesterday, but felt good today, so I said I wouldn't bail on our planned ride (3 of us). Once he and I traded bikes, I started to fade, and headed back-while they headed out.

My buddy comes back to the trailer about 20 minutes after I did, gets off my bike and says, "I'm riding the wrong bike." I respond, "you don't like my CRF". He said, "NO, let me put it another way, I BOUGHT THE WRONG BIKE." He was serious and sold his NEW (2 rides worth) YZ450F tonight, and is ordering a '05 CRF450 Monday.

Just thought I would share.

The power was not usable and tractable on the YZ450. No matter how he set the supsension it was too stiff. And the finally - 4 speed tranny vs. 5!

He described the front end of my CRF as being held to the ground with tie downs. Where ever he wanted it to go, it just stayed planted. The best handling/suspended bike he had ever ridden.

Well, based on the reviews of the 05 so far from the rags, it seems that Honda "tweaked" it too much for the 05 CRF450R. The 05 CRF450R is behaving like a YZ450F. That is, too much snappy throttle response and way too much power.

Although the handling and chasis went a step forward, the engine kinda went half a step backward (too much of a good ting).

Well, based on the reviews of the 05 so far from the rags, it seems that Honda "tweaked" it too much for the 05 CRF450R. The 05 CRF450R is behaving like a YZ450F. That is, too much snappy throttle response and way too much power.

Although the handling and chasis went a step forward, the engine kinda went half a step backward (too much of a good ting).

Too much power???? NEVER!!!!!!!!!!! ?

My buddy just got and 05. We rode I5 MX and racetown. I have an 04 and we traded off throughout the day. I have 20 mm clamps and rg3 suspension and I can tell you the 05 handled as good if not better than mine. THe bike felt lighter and the engine felt only slight more powerful. It did feel a bit snappier, which i liked and in no way was it harsh or unmanageable. I now need to sell my 3 month old 04 and get an 05.

Coming from a 2003 YZ450 to a 2005 CRF 450, and spending ample amount of time on a few friends 04 CRF 450's, I would have to say that the Yamaha "felt" faster. That "felt" is a big word. Both bikes...basically stock....I found it easier to do things on the CRF...jumps out of corners, turning, and hammering through whoops. The Honda delivers much smoother....period. The Yamaha has a beast of a motor...it has the "hit". I would do allot of the jumps in the same gear as the Honda but would have to work a little harder to get he same result as the Honda.

The suspension on the Yamaha is a bit stiff...but after it was broke in, it seemed to work quite well. The Honda broke in much quicker and feels more plush with the same smoothness and bottoming resistence. I will say that the Yamaha tracked nicer and felt better jumping....something I need to work on with my CRF.

The YZ450 is faster in a straight line than a CRF. I thought that was common knowledge. Also, I thought the Yamaha suspension was not up to my taste, BUT today I rode an 03 YZ250. As 2 smokes go, that bike was killer.

The suspension felt a a lot like my CRF and was very compliant the way it was setup.

With all that said, I STILL LOVE MY CRF HONDA and even a CRF250 is probably more power than most need on the track.

The suspension on the Yamaha is a bit stiff...but after it was broke in, it seemed to work quite well. The Honda broke in much quicker and feels more plush with the same smoothness and bottoming resistence. I will say that the Yamaha tracked nicer and felt better jumping....something I need to work on with my CRF.

He LOVED the supsension on his '03. The '05 has got to have different internals. I understand a breakin period, but suspensions are pretty basic in terms of breakin. It doesn't take very long at all. There are passages, valves, shims and a set of seals. 25 miles in desert terrain, and you are pretty much there.

He loved the hit of his '03, but said now that he has spent enough time on a properly set-up (for desert) '04 CRF he can't believe the usable power and tractable power.

The YZ is a MOTOCROSS bike not a desert bike. IT is common knowledge among everybody, even YZ 450 owners that the CRF is a bike built more for the masses. So it would be easier to set a CRF up for desert than a YZ. It just seems stupid to me that he would even considered a YZ when he could have got a WR 450.

TY Davis raced one in '03 in the first couple of national Hare & Hounds. Oh, a CRF is a REAL desert bike. That is why is has the '04 MX title. AND that is why I have $1400 add'l into my '04 to make it desert worthy, right?

A WR is a JOKE! It is less worthy as a desert bike (stock) than a YZ, or a CRF. Not one manufacturer makes a good stock desert bike, except maybe the KX500 (but the tank is still too small). Of course the KTM riders will speak up with the MXC.