Sign in to follow this  

I did a very bad thing today

I didn't say the CRF is a desert bike Einstein. I said it is built for the masses and therefor easier to make into a desert bike. 5 speed,smoother power, ect. You also say Ty Davis raced a YZ 450 for the first couple of rounds in '03, what does he ride now? YZ 250.......maybe. By the way the CRF has the '04 mx title because two words Ricky Carmichael. That man can win on anything.

Ricky Carmichael. That man can win on anything.

Except a RM250! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I would say it is a personal preference. So you can't go wrong with either one depending on your taste.

I think the 4 speed tranny left a little to be desired on the MX track. The gap from 2nd to 3rd was a bit too much...even to over come with gearing change...again...a personal feel. The 5 speed tranny in the Honda is again just easier to use and a better design as far as usability goes in my book.

I don't think the Yamaha is faster than the Honda in a straight line...IMHO.

The YZ is a MOTOCROSS bike not a desert bike. IT is common knowledge among everybody, even YZ 450 owners that the CRF is a bike built more for the masses. So it would be easier to set a CRF up for desert than a YZ. It just seems stupid to me that he would even considered a YZ when he could have got a WR 450.

O.K. Ryno(?) - Einstein here.

1) Both YZ & CRF are built for the masses. Every manufacturer out there would like to have the #1 selling bike in the class!

2) Ty does (did) ride the YZ 250 at the remainder of that season, he still didn't win the title - and neither did Honda. Actually when was the last time Honda had a bike finish the season in the top ten - better desert bike??

3) Honda must think it is the bike, because (although very expensive) Ricky is gone.

4) The WR really is not a good desert bike, or maybe Ty would have tried racing one (?). But the YZ450 is a very worthy desert bike. Out of 1000 entries it finished 3rd this year in the 2004 Virginia City Grand Prix. YZ250-2nd, and what won? = CRF450(with a 46yo rider).

Oh, and my buddy bought a '05 CRF450 right here in Reno yesterday because he just couldn't wait. He rode it today with his son who was on his '03 RM250. He called me when he finished the break-in ride as excited as I have ever heard him. He said, "I should have listened to you months ago, and bought the Honda. I have never owned a bike that does everything so well. This bike is incredible and I haven't even turned a clicker on the suspension yet!"

Einstein signing off - maybe I should change my sign on name. :cry:

You also say Ty Davis raced a YZ 450 for the first couple of rounds in '03, what does he ride now? YZ 250.......

ty davis still races the yz 450

The yamaha Kayaba's take alot longer to break in then other bikes. I don't know what YAmaha does differently but the break in is ridiculous. It took about 10 rides for it to break in for me. BAck then I was 250lbs on stock suspension and it was too stiff. But after those 10 rides it plushed out hugely. I think this long break in hurts the YZ line as far as first impressions go. Most people just don't give it a chance. I don't know what the new Showaba's are like so I can't comment on those.

Strick,

You said.. ", billeted clutch cable bracket (A MUST),"

Do those really make a difference? I have seen a few of them, but thought they were mostly for looks.

Thanks,

Kirk