Sign in to follow this  

4-stroke looking at 2 and needing help

I know it's not really 4-stroke stuff in this post, but I'd assume that some of you out there are riding the 250 2-strokes or have in the past. I haven't been on a 250 in 16 years so I'll looking for some information.

Here it goes; I'm in the process of selling my 2002 TE570 and not having much luck. I've lowered the price to $3950.00 (good price for CA area), but most guys are looking for the smaller 450 right now. My intention was to sell the TE570 and pay bills, but life without a bike is just not an option. So I was considering another KTM, past bikes were a 97 360mxc and a 2000 300mxc. I liked the 300 most, but to gear it for the low nasties cost me on the top-end. This time I was thinking a EXC 250 or 300, but with the Husky not moving my next option is to get a 2001 Husky CR250 that is available now (at a very good price), swap what I can from the TE570 and build my own off-road race machine. In addition to my front-end (forks, triples, bars, wheel), rear wheel, shock (if it will fit) and anything else; I'd need at the least a Steahly 10oz flywheel weight, and a 3.0 or so gal. tank if I can find one and spark arrestor.

Here's the main question to the 2-stroke Husky riders out there. How is the 2001 CR250 on power and overall off-road use? I'd assume with the mods it would be like the mxc. Has anyone ever converted a CR250 and how did it turnout.

Right now I can get the CR250 for a good price and by swapping my off-road parts and suspension from the 570 it should make for a suitable race bike.

I'd appreciate any input on this.

If it works, I'll put all of the CR stuff on the 570 and then sell it even cheaper.

Thanks again for the help.

Ed

Fallbrook CA

D37

I ride an '02 WR250 and its a great east coast bike reasonable top speed for road and open sections(I still think Husky made a mistake dropping sixth cog)and lots of torque for tight nasty stuff. The CR250 is another story... AA and A guys ride them in tight east coast hare scrambles, but the gearing compromise will be worse than your MXC for out west. It won't have the bottom and legs of your 570, that's for sure. The 570 shock won't fit the 250, but forks, wheels should. I would try to find a WR360 or go back to the Orange side with a 300EXC. A case in point is a local guy won a new '02 CR250 in raffle. He tried to sell it for $3500 and ended up selling it for $1500. I was lamenting to my dealer that I would have bought it for that! He thought that even at that price it wasn't a good bike for the woods riding that I do,but on the other hand a CR125 with a little suspension work is an awesome woods bike. I think you'll be unhappy with the CR250. What's the reason for selling the 570?

Norman

Nornam, Thanks for the info. I read that the guys from Dirt Bike Mag thought the cr250 was week and slow, but I wanted to hear it from real riders. Not that those guys aren't real riders, but they get the cream of the crop to ride. Last enduro I was at out here, Wolf and Ron were on shinny new KTM 2-strokes, must be nice.

As for the 570, It's a good bike, but big at times and I was hoping to sell it get an older 2-stroke and have some money left over to pay on my sons new bike. Plus the 2-stroke is a bit more forgiving after dumping it during enduros and desert races. Other than that, I just felt like I wanted to go back to a 2-stroke for that quick snappy light feel and ease of starting. Plus I've been off of the bike most of the year due to knee problems (torn ligaments)and I just don't feel like I have what it takes to run on the thing anymore. Maybe I just need more time. It's tough though, I don't really want to ride it if I'm selling it, but that could be what's needed. Too with these non-ohv friendly times, keeping a quite 4-stroke could be a blessing.

Anyway, looks like there is some truth to the CR250 and it's lack of ability. I think I'll put building a CR out of my mind.

Anyway, thanks for the input and I'll be patient and enjoy it some more.

Thanks

Ed

I have a 98 WR360 - It is a great bike with lots of low down torque - in fact it goes great at anything between low to medium to medium high revs - it is not a high revving screamer. Its light - the only down side with these bikes is that they can be hard to kick over / start. I have just fitted a decomp head to mine but havn't tried it out yet. I would definatley recommend the 360 :cry:

I know this is kinda old post but thought i'd throw in my 2 cents. I just acquired a '01 CR250 winter of 05. I was completely blown away by it, when its my first bike. It's got shaved head, shaved porting, slightly smaller piston head to compenstate for higher compression, and that's pretty much the mods to it. I'll say it does makes my testicles shrink back up to my body. I have had people of my buddy who used to own this bike droolin' at this bike, and he's a real good damn rider, and had access to a 2-strokes guy engine builder. I like it, tho its a bit too much for me at times.