Sign in to follow this  

03yz450f fork re-valve, do they really help that much?

Has anyone really noticed THAT much of a difference after a fork re-valve? I talking about you folks that are pretty savy setting up the clicks and oil height and working with what is stock. I'm also talking about riders that are average weight, and stock springs are fine. My yz blisters my inside left thumb regularly on long rides/races. I have lightened up on the comp damping and increased oil height but still need to go lighter, but bottoming now becomes a problem on the miss timed jumps. Does anyone think a re-valve willl really help? I'm thinking stiffer springs and 1 or 2 clicks out on comp damping might be better. Please give me your experiences, and opinions. Thanks

RG3 upper clamp, and Renthal RC bend. 100 gram flywheel, and T-screw slow fuel screw. Stock Bike.

night and day, when set up right...

You can tweak the stock stuff to be the best it can be without modification, ( i.e. springs, oil, adjustments ) but valving changes make a big difference when correctly combined with everything else. Its not just bottoming, but how well it soaks everything else up, without harsh transfer to the rider.

OMG YES DUDE. The faster you are...the more bigger differece you will notice. Just for fun 1 day I decided to take my yz 125 out for a spin across a pasture, and this pasture has big like bumps like 1 foot dips and stuff like that, well i just hammered in 5th and started going and could barely hang on to the thing, I hit a hole and got way out of control and almost biffed, Then for the fun of it I took out my yz-f 250 that has a pro action re valve. I followed my exact same track and took off across the pasture and man what a difference, those bumps just felt like little kearnels of sand when compared to a stock suspension WOW. Get a fork re valve

most definitely - you will never go back to stock - it makes you a better, faster more confident rider -

OMG YES DUDE. The faster you are...the more bigger differece you will notice. Just for fun 1 day I decided to take my yz 125 out for a spin across a pasture, and this pasture has big like bumps like 1 foot dips and stuff like that, well i just hammered in 5th and started going and could barely hang on to the thing, I hit a hole and got way out of control and almost biffed, Then for the fun of it I took out my yz-f 250 that has a pro action re valve. I followed my exact same track and took off across the pasture and man what a difference, those bumps just felt like little kearnels of sand when compared to a stock suspension WOW. Get a fork re valve

A 4strk period would feel better than a 2 stroke over bumps. Thats like comparing apples & oranges.

doc

Well, I definitely could have used that extra confidence today trying to hammer through a 40 yard whoop section of 3 footers. Thanks for the feedback.

Stiffer springs and a little more oil would help also.Ive had more luck doing that than spenging 300 on a revalve i say 300 because after the $170 for the revalve they always say you need new bushings seals springs and whatever else and goes up to $300.I had FC do my 04 crf450 and they said leave stock springs for a 200 pounder with their revalve but i still think to mushy i think i should go up and so does everyone else.

Thanks for the feedback, I change fluid myself and have done fork mods on other bikes, e.g. the Race Tech gold valve and mid valve mods, and just have not noticed that great of a difference. I think it is more important on some bikes and riders that have above or below average weight, but for us 175 average riders, I think I can utilize the comp valving with it lightest settings and stiffer springs to satisfy. Thanks again for the feedback.

A 4strk period would feel better than a 2 stroke over bumps. Thats like comparing apples & oranges.

doc

DITTO

Is it possible that you are trying to have one setup that works well in all situations? If you tune for well-controlled jump landings, the suspension is probably not going to be best for more casual riding, and vice versa. Ultimately, the more you tune a suspension for a specific task (jumps for example), the worse it performs for other tasks (trail riding for example). Just a thought.

I only ride moto but I have been happy with this change. I went to light oil, 5w , and then run a high height to control bottoming. I can bakc the clickers off to make it sok up the big stuff and it does well on all but the hardest hits on the track. I also have heavier fork springs but that is becuase I with 200lbs.