FCR SWAP INFO PLEASE?

thanks for the insight. this newbie has learned a great deal in a very short period of time it looks like the wr400 fcr swap is not the hot ticket especially with the fuel inlet on the oppesit side and all the unknowns and time.

looks like the sudco kit is the way to go I'll keep sniffing and researching till I make the plunge

Fuel inlet on the opposite side? It may not be facing the same direction but I assure you it's on the left of the carb as with any other I know of.

It's more than possible if you can find a good used carb for a good price. It's no more difficult than the CPW or Sudco route. I ended up spending less than $250 for my '98 wr400 carb, clamps, boots, and JD jetting kit.

Contrary to your statement... WR carbs aside from E carbs are, in fact, the hot ticket for cv replacements.

Well the fuel inlet is not on the wrong side of the carb,, but it is pointed in the wrong direction.. That carb can still be used,,,, you just have to use a longer piece of fuel line and put a small loop in it, Been working on my bike like that for most of a year.

Never the less there are pitfalls with the used carb swap... and unless the carb was darn near free, or from a unquestionably good, known source, I would not go used,, but pay the extra cost of a new carb.

IOW if Burned were selling a used FCR39.. Id buy it without question, and know I could start my swap with a known good part.. Tuning as required. But I would not again get one from ebay, or other unknown source.

Dirtman, I could be wrong,,, but on none of the FCR's I've seen were the fuel inlets designed to swivel.. They all were a press/swaged fit into the carb body. BUT,,I by no means have seen a lot or all of the different applications for the FCR,,, so it might very well be a design feature.. That last post was a little to definitive,,, upon reflection,, as I'm just not that sure of my info. Sorry for the confusion.

The fuel inlet on mine swivels...I think it came off a KTM400...

fcrpic.jpg

Dirtman, I could be wrong,,, but on none of the FCR's I've seen were the fuel inlets designed to swivel.. They all were a press/swaged fit into the carb body. BUT,,I by no means have seen a lot or all of the different applications for the FCR,,, so it might very well be a design feature.. That last post was a little to definitive,,, upon reflection,, as I'm just not that sure of my info. Sorry for the confusion.

On mine the only parts I wound up using were the "E" engine to carb rubber intake with the two clamps (Ron Ayers $20), the Sudco bellmouth adapter (Sudco $50) and the coast enrichiner adapter to allow the use of the "S" vacuum petcock (Ron Ayers $6 I think). I wound up using the stock cable with a spacer as the one I originally bought from Sudco (MotionPro) did not fit my throttle right and I sent that back and the stock cable works fine with a spacer on the "pull" cable. Total for parts was $76.

With the exception of the blue tank that looks just like mine. ?