Sign in to follow this  

A tale told by an idiot . . . me

What a stupid I am. Kinda like a receptionist I had once. She was amazing. I needed something delivered ASAP. So I gave it to her, she filled-out the delivery company slip and put it on the front of her desk. She just forgot one minor detail - she didn't call the delivery company to tell them to pick it up! What I just did is almost that dumb.

Two weeks ago I got a smoking good deal on a 2 year old, never used, Motojackrack. All I needed was a Class 3 hitch, and I'd be set for adventure on my new-to-me XR400.

Got the class 3 hitch installed last Saturday.

The Motojack arrived Tuesday, brand new, in a never opened box.

Finally got around to opening the box last night. Assembly took 5 minutes. Man, this thing is strong! Works great.

I roll my bike out of the garage, put it over the Motojack, raise it high enough to lock the foot pegs, then jack it up. Way cool, but &%$#@! . . .? :cry:

My front tire is still touching the ground, and the rear is only a few inches off the ground.

Uh, yeah. Of course. On my car, the hitch is only 12" above the ground to start with. The Motojack raises the bike a ways (about 10 - 11") above the hitch, but the car sags a little bit, the bike's suspension stretches out, and the large diameter wheels reach for the ground. I could have (should have) seen that happening.

So, it looks like I will be buying a trailer.

Anybody want a brand new Motojackrack? Larry

You should have gotten one of those Sg. Industries bike haulers. I saw one on here, and got it. Works great :cry:.

I'm pretty sure that there is an L-shaped bracket formed of square tubing that will fit in your reciver and that rises above to where another receiver is attatched. They have varying heights. Probably stiffer shocks would be a good idea if you use this adapter and motojackrack.

Before you sell it. Do you have any ratchet tie downs? See if you can compress the forks ALL the way...and compress the shock ALL the way... :cry: just a thought!

Thanks for the replies and advice, guys. I don't mind selling it. It was a great deal and I'll just pass it along. I kind of prefer a trailer anyway.

Like they say, though, your possessions own you. Since I got this bike, I got all new safety gear (my street gear isn't "the right stuff"), a hitch, a Motojack, bike stuff (bark busters, etc), maintenance stuff (filter oil, PJ1, tools) all kinds of stuff I didn't need before. So, what's a trailer? Just one more thing so I can use the XR. Larry

Thanks KevXR, I knew there was something I hadn't bought yet.

"Honey, can I have a bike stand? Please??" Larry

You still might have problems pulling into and out of steep driveways. I've bottomed my trailer hitch carrier before.

Don't use a real bikestand, get something made out of metal with a solid base.

Contact MotoJackRack, I'm sure you are not the first with this problem.