Sign in to follow this  

2001 520 SX Pulser Coil Damage

Hello Everyone,

I am the owner of the now famous 520SX that stumbles at steady throttle. In talking with Mr. James Dean (THANKS JD) I've come to the conclusion that I don't have a carb problem. So I took off the stator cover and ohm checked the stator, it seemed ok. Anyone have a good method for trouble shooting stators?

Then I noticed that the two little metal tabs on the pulser coil seemed damaged. I took a look at the oil drain plug and found a tooth from the sprocket that meets the starter motor stuck too it. I figure that tooth must have stuck to the pulser coil at some point and when the fly wheel came around it caused the damage.

Could that cause the engine to run decent most of the time but not at steady throttle? Silly question, I know, but I am sceptical after three months of trouble shooting.

Thanks

Wes

as long as you have continuity the pick up should be working propery.

while you are in there, you may want to check out the TPS and coil to make sure they are working properly.

Let us know if you find anything.

Thanks Jon_D

The pulser coil has a steady 103 ohms which changes slightly (60-140 ohms) when it comes into contact with something metal.

The TPS measures as follows:

-Black-Yellow 160-4400 ohms

-Black-Blue 4300 ohms constant

-Yellow-Blue 300-4500 ohms

-The ignition part of the stator measures 15 ohms and is not shorted to the chassis.

Ignition Coil:(measured off of bike with no plug wire)

-Plug Wire Out - Lead where wire from CDI connects = 6500 ohms

-Lead that attaches to ground - Lead where wire from CDI connects = SHORT (0.0 ohms)Is that right???

-Nothing shorted directly to ground.

Can anyone verify these measurements? I would like to post them in a thread for others to use as a general troubleshooting quide.

Thanks,

Wes

I have the measurment information at home and I wont be returning for another two weeks (out of state).

For the TPS, you should see a liner change in resistance as you rotate the throttle. The coil readings look good, or at least they make sense. I see that you got 0.00 ohms on the coil. If I remember correctly, you should get around 0.03 ohms, but it is very, very difficult to measure. I checked mine several times and read anywhere from 0-1 ohm of resistance. Chances are your coil is good. If you have any doubt, there is a company in San Diego that sells a hotter coil for about $80.

Sorry I don’t have the numbers for you, this question had come up a few times before so I think your idea of posting of the parameters is a good one. if no one posts the numbers i can post them when i return.

BTW, are you sure your carb is working properly (i.e. no clogged jets)?