Sign in to follow this  

Motorcycles in Italy

Hey y'all. I just got back from 2 weeks in Italy, where two-wheel transportation rules. It was heart warming to see people so accepting/dependant of motorcycles! In the countryside of Tuscany, I saw lots of cycles touring from small town to small town bathing in the beautiful vistas. Those narrow country "highways" (maybe 14 ft wide, or narrower) are very well maintained. The are smooth, grippy, and always bank the correct way. You get the impression that they, as a whole, take driving seriously there, rather than as an after thought or neccessary evil to daily life.

In the cities I visited (Florence, Siena, and Rome), easily half of the vehicles on the road are motorcycles. It pretty much has to be that way, or else the traffic would jam from congestion. I got to see a huge vaiety of bikes, much of which we are familiar with here in the USA: Japanese Dual sports and Street machines to Harley Davidsons. There 2 times more than that amount in euro bikes, ranging from the classic vespa scooters to their modern brethren from nearly all manufacturers. Of course, I can't forget the Moto Guzzis, Ducatis, Cagivas, Aprillias, and on and on... A motorcycle spotter's dream.

On a side note: I did not see any in person, but all the ads for ATVs/Quads have turnsignals!! Are they street legal there??

Supprisingly, I never saw any traffic accidents, even in notoriously crazy Rome! There are lots of close calls, so many that it is just a part of driving. It seemed to me that everyone (99.9%) driving has a high level of awareness of where they and others are on the road. Where everyone is on the road is constantly in flux. As crazy as the experience is driving in Rome (I live in Los Angeles, and deal with its traffic), I did'nt see evidence of road rage, and everyone gets to where they need to go. Which is the whole point, I suppose, rather than where I live, where the point of being on the road could be observed as: self expression/status/personal space/hey!check me out/don't get too close!, etc. I only saw 2 bumper stickers while in Italy.

Travel is the best.

There is no place like home.

Very cool. When I was in India, in New Delhi recently, the traffice experience was similar. Basically a free for all, but no road rage, no accidents. Once you got used to it, it was actually nice to be able to get in the car without dealing with all of that crap.

The motorcycles were mainly small 150's and of course scooters. Some old bikes too that were kinda neat.

I haven't been to Europe, but Italy is my number one destination. From what I have seen of Italians and their culture, they seem to embrace life and enjoy it. I can't wait to go some day. -Ed

I only saw 2 bumper stickers while in Italy.

Travel is the best.

There is no place like home.

Those cars must have been Americans! When my friends go to Europe, they always take a handful of different bumper stickers to plaster all over their rental cars :cry: :cry:

It's funny to see all of the strange looks we got from the locals...I guess bumper stickers are an American thing!! :cry:

I agree...Travelling is great, but there is no place like home! :cry: