Sign in to follow this  

Using Brake in air without clutch?

Hi thumper talkers, I have been watching some pros and I could have swrn that I saw a couple of them drop their front wheel(brake tap) with without clutching . Was it just my imagination or is it just a fine feel for the brake lever? I heard them give the bike rev just at that particular time. :cry:

Yea I use that front brake in the air.. I know that much, I dont know though if I use the clutch because, Ive been riding for a long time, and most of the stuff I do is all reaction, not thinking. :cry:

hmmm. i dont know but you can drop the front end with out using the clutch or the brakes

Yea I use that front brake in the air.. I know that much, I dont know though if I use the clutch because, Ive been riding for a long time, and most of the stuff I do is all reaction, not thinking. :cry:

You use the front brake in the air? That's probably not a very good idea. Using the front brake will raise the front end, and if you wanted to do that you could just give it a little gas. Did I read that wrong?

Tapping the front brake will lower the front end.

Not as well as the rear tap, but it DOES work. It DOES create an issue with landing, but if it is not sloppy soft and a hard hit, the front wheel being locked up will not cause any major issues.

I have before on my bike. I just tapped it, it slowed it down so that it rolled really slow. Right before you land, blip the throttle so that it's a smooth landing. :cry:

I tapped the rear brake once without using the clutch. When I tapped the rear, it stalled the bike. I landed from about 9 or 10 feet with a stalled bike. Landing without having power to rear wheel ends with you having your manhood being RACKED. :cry: So if I need to tap now I pull the clutch in. Since I'm riding a thumper, I usually just roll off the throttle more. :cry:

you have to use the clutch when you do this or you will stall ...but on a 4 stroke it should be nature for you to use the clutch anytime you go to get on the rear brake hard ...the front tire does work but not as well as the rear .....and for the ? about not using brakes and getting the nose down ..it's all about body position if your up on the front of the bike you can kind of push the bars foward not down and rock back on the bike at the same time and the bike kinda rotates under neath you ...you can use this a lot when there is a short approach to a big jump and you start to loop out from accelerating all the way up the jump face ....my 2 cents

i usualy use the front brake when the bike needs a mid air pitch adjustment, rear brake is not as responsive and breaks the momentum of the engine....i like to land on the throttle anyway.....and no tapping the front brake will not raise the front end, whoever said that has probably never had the biek more than 4 ft off the ground, it makes the front end DIVE so you need some faness with it :cry:

Give this little tip a try: When you need to lower the front end hook the heel of your boot where the subframe bolts to the frame and lift up. You get the same effect as using the brake but you don't need to worry about the clutch or stalling the motor.

Tapping your front brake in the air is a bad idea and something you should try to avoid. Yeah, I know people do it without getting themselves in trouble but they're really flirting with disaster if it's at all a sizable jump.

The inertia of the spinning front wheel creates a gyro effect which gives you inherent stability in the air and keeps it on axis. This inertial stability is the reason people are able to whip their bikes and bring it back. In addition to purely muscling their bike they are getting leverage from the inertia of their front end and the forks behavior of remaining on axis.

If you at all get your bike sideways or whipped while jumping, something most of us do to some degree without even noticing it, then tapping your front brake will kill all stability it has to stay on it's axis. The results are not pretty and you should just learn the safe ways to manipulate the bike's pitch in the air. Of course if it's a small jump you can get away with less stability because the time you spend in the air is way less and you have less of an opportunity to get your bike in a weird spot.

Think about it, when was the last time you saw any pro tap the front brake to change their bikes behavior.

Look at this pic. [image]http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/231181/[/image] (This isn't me btw).

Learn how to ride with one finger on the clutch lever, then when needed you can pull the clutch in and tap the back brake. Better if you are all prepared to do so before lift off. Feet in position finger on the clutch lever, then you will be able to react faster. :cry:

I stalled it in midair as well - NOT a fun landing... "Nuts, meet gas tank cap, HELLO!!"

When you turn pro you dont worry about stallin it. You have enough hangtime to pull out the kickstarter and start the bike in the air :cry:

:cry: Actually when I first started riding (10 yrs old) I use to think that when I get good and maybe go pro I am going to invent a new trick called "the start" Where I would kill the engine in the air and then kick start it before I landed. :cry: I wish I still had an amagination........

:cry: Actually when I first started riding (10 yrs old) I use to think that when I get good and maybe go pro I am going to invent a new trick called "the start" Where I would kill the engine in the air and then kick start it before I landed. :cry: I wish I still had an amagination........

Tell Bubba to try it over Larroco's leap :cry: