Sign in to follow this  

Tires & Tire Pressure for Western Riding

Time to buy some new tires... For western riding (SF Bay area locations, Sierra, etc.) - 70% trails, 30% track;

1) Tires? Which rear and front tires do you like and not like?

2) Tire pressure? What tire pressure(s) have you had the best performance with?

On the rear, I've had the Dunlop 695? (stocker) and the Bridgestone M602. During the summer, they both wore out in about ~300 miles. I run them around 12 PSI. My front is still the stocker.

I'm looking for good traction, but better wear? Maybe this is as good as it gets?

I've scanned through Team Burk's set up lists (good), done searches for "tires" in this forum and looked in the database. There was some useful stuff but not real comprehensive for tires. Thanks for your help!!

Mike

The Kenda Trackmaster II 760 is a good and inexepensive rear tire.

Trials tires for the rear tire are becoming the rage now.

Might not be great for mud. Great for hard terrain.

I was told to get the Dunlop 739 for summer and 756 for winter.

I run around 13 psi. 15 if I'm riding lots of rocks.

I had a Pirelli MT18 front that I liked and it was DOT legal.

Micheline S12 has the best hookup I've ever seen. Like Dwight has said, almost too good. Maybe too good for him, but I sure appreciate it. I ran one all summer. Its toast now, and I'll pick a harder terrain tire next summer, but I've got another in my garage for the winter, front and rear. Wear is pretty decent.

I run 15psi, maybe 14 or 13 in the winter. So many rocks around here....

XR400 stock tires -- terrible! Especially the front. I was always washing out, sometimes painfully.

Michelin S-12: I've run this on the back before. Great traction out here, but wears out pretty quick.

Michelin M-12: I currently run this on the front. I like it. Haven't washed out since I put it on. Seems to be wearing at a normal rate ("normal" meaning I have to replace it once for every 2 back tires I put on).

Maxxis IT: Currently run this on the back. Great tire! Hooks up awesome, making it hard sometimes to slide the rear end around on purpose. 3 rides so far, and the knobs show only minor wear. Looks like it's going to last a long time.

I've always run 12psi front/back, even on some fairly rocky trails, and no flats so far. Maybe I'm just lucky, or slow, or both?

Micheline S12 has the best hookup I've ever seen. Like Dwight has said, almost too good. Maybe too good for him, but I sure appreciate it. I ran one all summer. Its toast now, and I'll pick a harder terrain tire next summer, but I've got another in my garage for the winter, front and rear. Wear is pretty decent.

I run 15psi, maybe 14 or 13 in the winter. So many rocks around here....

Ditto!! S-12 F&R. I have friends that run as low as 12psi but for some reason they are the ones riding home on flat tires. I've found I like the lug size on the 110/100-18 better than the 100/100-18. The smaller tire does hook better at light throttle on my '03XR250R, but the larger tire works better everywhere else and seems to be usable about twice as long. Most riding is single track woods, wet, slick with lots of steep terrain.

You see and hear about a lot of 739's here in Colorado - but I've also talked to several riders who didn't like them. My experience was that they wear fairly well but don't work the best in our varied conditions - often very rocky, but occasionally shaley, soft and muddy with wet roots, and frequently with loose gravel (which may add up to being just like the rest of the US).

I'm thinking about going with the MT 16 after reading Dwight's and others' posts.

I run b/w 12 and 15 psi depending on the conditions.