Sign in to follow this  

What is a good beak in period and Why no synthetics till then?

I am on the fence about this whole "no synthetics for break in" theory...the myth about non energy conserving synthetic oils is that they are too "slippery" to allow the piston rings to seat properly. HOWEVER, it is that, a myth. A pure synthetic oil is no "slicker" than a conventional oil. The ADDITIVE package is what determines the "energy conserving" (or not) status of the oil. Now, the synthetic oils DO have a much higher film strength and maybe this is why you should not use synthetics for break in...you actually want some metal to metal contact so that the ring(s) will wear and conform as close to 100% as possible, to the cylinder shape. There is no "perfect" roundness and that's why we need break-in or more preferably called, "seat-in time".

Let me tell you this. I did indeed break in my bike with a Wiseco 12.5:1 piston, using Shell Rotella 5w40 Synthetic oil. I do not burn any oil, my bike does not smoke, and it has excellent compression figures. I broke it in hard, no lugging, no rev limiter, but I rode the hell out of it like normal.

I have the engine torn down right now waiting for new springs and stuff, and the piston, ring gap, etc. is all in spec.

:cry:

OK, let's have some experts get in on this oil debate. RHC, FFR, Rich_Rohrich? :cry:

The owner's manual describes the break in period as "15 miles". Is that a decent figure?

thats just what i did with mine today,,the first 15 miles,,i rode it an hr,,,then i twisted it a little after that,,,all i can say is,,,,I LOVE THIS BIKE!! ok,,,a little over enthusiastic,,,,no its not!! what a bike!! :cry:

Broke mine in the motoman way. Hard, no lugging or rev-limit. Runs great and does not use oil. Always let the engine warm up to operating temp before getting on it. I changed to synthetic after 1 hour. I talked to a top engine builder about synthetic and breakin,(he builds Harley racing motors as well as other brands)he uses it for breakin and has never had a problem. It is not to slippery.

I still tend to lean to that side as well, the non energy conserving synthetic oil is fine for break in, just RUN IT HARD...I do, and it runs great. My buddy did on his brand new bike...it runs great too and uses no oil. In fact, he broke it in by "drag racing" everything in sight in a smooth grass field, lots of full throttle runs back and forth hahahahah...

I have said it once (or a thousand times!) that synthetic oil is NOT MORE SLIPPERY than conventional oil. :cry:

I dont think the "slipperyness" it really an issue, but cost for the length of time running is a waste.

Changing the oil is more important than what you actually run especially for a production motor. I wouldnt call the conditions that a production motor get assembled in "clean".

I changed the oil in my bike every running hour for the first three hours. You dont necessarily need to change the filter, but you should definitly cut it open after the first three hours to get a gauge on the debris. And do so over the next 4 hours or so to make sure the debris is diminishing.