Sign in to follow this  

Some Q's about chain,oil,valves and exhaust.

I have an 03 "S" and I try and ride once a week. I don't ride real heard (not to that point yet) but I do use the bike as a dirt bike.When I go out, I put about 30/35 miles on the bike. with that in mine.........

First off the chain:

I clean and re-oil the chain after each ride,is that to much?

Now for the oil:

In the book it reads every 4,000 miles for an oil change(owner's manual).

But I read some guys do it every 3,000 mi,some after every other ride.I was even told that I could wait till it looks dirty and smells bernt.

I did an oil job at 600 miles and now I am at 1,2oo miles on the bike. I chk the oil level after every ride. It looks and smells good. should I wait till the 4,000??

On to the valves.

Once again the book reads at every 15,000 miles. Is that a good rule to go by. I see guys that do all the time,like every few 1,000 miles,is that to much??? should I even go by the book?

One more thing while your here.

I saw on E-Bay a exhaust power tip that would give me 3xs the air flow over my stock exhaust and a deeper sound. With 3xs the air flow would I have to re-jet the carb? I am trying to stay away from that carb jetting thang,but a little deeper sound for my bike would be nice.

Sorry for all the Q? on a Saturday. Its just some stuff that I have been thinking about.

Thanks,now get back to your beer drinking,I am :cry:

Laters

Nutt

i don't think you can ever really be too meticulous in maitaining your machine, it comes down to need tho. Yes some guys change the oil after every other ride and in my opinion that is overkill, but if it keeps their mind at rest then that is cool the key to it in my mind is be sensible if you are riding hard all the time and in hard conditions then your oil change needs to be more frequent, just keep an eye on it you sound a guy that seems to know good from bad oil.

on lubing the chain there is a different answer fro different things 1 person will say lube it after xxx miles another will say no need do it at yyy miles and another will say no way has to be zzz miles, again my rule is if i get it dirty or wet i clean and lube it end of! not sure what percentage of street/dirt riding you do but obviously street riding is less hard on your bike and tends not to get dirty as much as dirt/trail riding.

Hope this helps :cry:

I doubt you can over oil your chain, but what you need do is only keep the o-rings lubed if it's an o-ring chain and you need to keep the chain clean from mud, sand, etc. A good cleaner is kerosene. Take the chain off and give it a soak, then drip dry and re-lube. It sounds to me like you over do the chain but I can't see that you're hurting it.

The engine oil is a different matter. How often you change depends upon riding conditions. I'd say your riding is low stress on the oil so changing every 3-4k should be ok, but gee, it's so easy and cheap, why not do it more often if only to give your bike that loved feeling?

Checking the valves is easy. Adjusting them is tougher - a lot tougher. I'd say check them a lot sooner than the manual says as it isn't much effort. If they are out of spec, then that's gonna be a decision if you or your wrench will adjust them. OTOH, I've not personally heard of a DR Z's valves getting out of spec seriously before the 15k check so maybe that's bunk. I'm new to the DR Z world.

I'd like to hear from someone who has checked his valves sooner and found them out of spec. Shimmed valves always tighten (duh) while all the screw valves I've know loosen.

I'll speak from my own bike with 21,000 miles 85% street. Most of your tranny drebri will subside after a few thousand miles. My first filter change at 350 miles was very clean 1 little bit of aluminum. The second at 4000 had more aluminum debri, I assume coming from that floating clutch basket, but the filters afterwards have had no obvious aluminum debri. I'd at least keep the oil changes a little tighter in the first 5000 miles. But 1500 to 2000 miles for street use mainly works for me.

Now the valves 15000 is the recommend, all I'll say I had at least one just kisssed below minimum spec at 8000 miles, and by 13000 all four were adjusted. So you go by the book you may end up with an issue well before.

Even if you don't rejet, drill out that pilot plug and turn the fuel screw out about half a turn, big boost in low end. They are set lean and some more than others.

The drill out on the end cap will give you a deeper tone without much louder. 3X power tip ? willing to bet my drill on the baffles can do just as good.

Thanks

I will keep on with the chain,an eye on the oil and take a look at the valves at around 10,000 miles :cry:.

Laters

Nutt

I saw on E-Bay a exhaust power tip that would give me 3xs the air flow over my stock exhaust and a deeper sound. With 3xs the air flow would I have to re-jet the carb? I am trying to stay away from that carb jetting thang,but a little deeper sound for my bike would be nice.

The extra airflow is bullsh*t, but you will get a deeper sound. You can do this for cheap by using a holesaw to cut out the restrictor from your stock tip. www.drz.info for pictures. Rejetting is not necessary.