Sign in to follow this  

New and old Pistons Rings

Hi all, If I was to put in a new piston with new 1st ring, good used 2nd ring (due to new 2nd ring snapped)and new oil expander with 2 oil rail rings and was re-assemble and run the engine would this be okay and break in and use bike as normal? 😢

Would this cause any damage to the engine or would not make any diffrence? 😢

Thanks

No such thing as a good used ring

Get the set, they need to break in all together, once you pull the cylinder you need or at least should replace them all 😢

There are two main reasons for replacing rings anytime you remove them from the cylinder.

1: They develop micro fractures when they are expanded to remove and replace... This can cause them to fail while in use.

2: They will never end up in the same orientation inside the cylinder after re install.. That can cause sealing issues.

I will not argue with the experts here. There is no substitute for new rings. However, I do not always follow my own advise. Most of the time used rings in good condition work just fine in normal applications. If you want top race prep performance, then go new. My rings have been reused at least 4 times. Compression is good, oil consumption is zero, I'm happy. It is up to you.

I will not argue with the experts here. There is no substitute for new rings. However, I do not always follow my own advise. Most of the time used rings in good condition work just fine in normal applications. If you want top race prep performance, then go new. My rings have been reused at least 4 times. Compression is good, oil consumption is zero, I'm happy. It is up to you.

In my sneakiest, quite voice

Pssssssssst,, Yes I have re used rings,, yes the motor made it to the next top end rebuild 😢

Never the less,, It is not the right way to do it,, and I try and quote only that,, letting individuals do it the other ways,, as they see fit.

As burned said,, will it work,, should work,,,,,, but I'd have not done it,, cept to get buy till it can be done the right way, in the very near future..

I'd only do it in a really have to ride situation. Otherwise the potential damage is to great to take the chance. What is the cost of a new set of rings vs cost of repairs if it breaks? Not to mention the performance loss by a poor seal. I look at it this way, when I was on a team in a claimer class one of the things that was always done when you ended up with a different block is to re-ring. These are guys who get by as cheaply as possible while still maintaining performance and reliability. Totally different engines I realize but similiar principals. Poor sealing rings = loss of power (among other things) and a broken rings takes an engine down.