Sign in to follow this  

Stripped Trans Bolt

I know this has been posted before, and i searched and got a lot of questions answered but my problem is a little different. The problem is that the bolt isn't stripped, the casing is. On top of that, there is a tiny crack on the top of the hole where the trans bolt goes. So is this the reason for the trans bolt to keep spinning and spinning or is it just that the hole is stripped? Here are the possibilities I was thinking of, could you guys tell me the pros/cons of each? Maybe make a suggestion?

1. Retap the hole past the crack and put in a larger bolt.

2. Get the hole/crack welded and then retap the weld.

3. Your suggestion.

Oh yeah, do you guys know what size thread the stock hole is?

I can get the bolt so that it is snug, but there is a very slow leak. I put extra washers on, maybe that was the problem.

Thanks for any help :cry:

The treads are in the opposite case half the crack should not affect anything as far as the threads go. I would retap if I were you. You should come up with the tap size threw searching. The crack in the case half is probably due to over tightening, as much as I hate to say it you could try JB welding it to seal it or get it aluminum welded.

Thanks. Just for future reference after seacrhing, I found the tap was a M8.

All I did was put a longer bolt in and put a nut on that bolt. I tightened the bolt up as far as it needed to be then I snugged the bolt up against the case. Works great. If you are having trouble thinking of what I mean, its kinda like the clutch adjuster screw/nut. :cry: