Leaving key in 230F

My dealer says to remove the key from the 230 F when travelling as he has heard of several episodes of the key missing (blowing off the bike) on arrival. I've now forgotten to take is out several times without any problem. Anyone else with experience here?

Thanks

230 F

XR 250

CRF 250 X

I've have NEVER heard of that, it's behind the number plate :cry: If someone is that afraid of it blowing off, just turn it to the ON position. I had a 150 so I don't know what happens if you leave it on- on a 230. I wouldn't worry about it, it's tiny.

Yeah, I forget to a couple of times too. Never came off, even on big bumps!

Hasn't come off on 100 mile drives to sacramento and back going 80 so it should never come off! :cry:

My CRF 150 has a key???

No, not a 150, a 230F has a key.

I dont gotta worry about keys anymore :cry:

My CRF 150 has a key???

Mine does- I thought all the 150s & 230s did?

It's my husband's favourite silly trick to turn the key to the off position when I'm not looking and then watch me kick and kick and kick and then finally clue in :cry:

What does happen if you leave the key on, will it run the battery down? Seems to me if nothing like the headlight is activated, I'm guessing here, then it shouldn't matter.

Thanks,

Jon

That is correct. Leaving the key in the "on" position will not run the battery down. The battery is only used to spin the starter motor. (on stock bikes)

That is correct. Leaving the key in the "on" position will not run the battery down. The battery is only used to spin the starter motor. (on stock bikes)

Exactly. The key is a theft deterent only.

:cry:

ALL 150's and 230's have keys.... even mine :cry: :cry:

So, just one silly question for 230 riders, anyone. :cry:

If you forget or loose your key in transit and you get to where you are riding, can you still push or bump start your bike and ride, or does it require some amount of DC current (key on) to excite the CDI unit to get it to run?......Karl

The key cuts the spark and CDI, everything electronic. No spark, no go...

Unless you hot wire it :cry:

Exactly. The key is a theft deterent only.

:cry:

Oh yeah duh, sorry.. it also helps to start the bike. It's the connection.

Won't bump start without it. You can also make it so you don't need a key.

You can also make it so you don't need a key.

Thanks DD, that is what I was actually looking for.

Can you please explain to me how this is done?

Thanks......Karl

So, just one silly question for 230 riders, anyone. :cry:

If you forget or loose your key in transit and you get to where you are riding, can you still push or bump start your bike and ride, or does it require some amount of DC current (key on) to excite the CDI unit to get it to run?......Karl

That's a good reason to leave the key in the on position. It won't come out that way. Only comes out in the off position.

You can also make it so you don't need a key.

Thanks DD, that is what I was actually looking for.

Can you please explain to me how this is done?

Thanks......Karl

Hot wiring it. Toast knows exactly which wires you have to connect together. :cry:

I bought a cheap carabiner key chain from Walmart or somewhere to attach to my bike keys. I clip the carabiner on to the clutch cable so that it can't get lost. I buy colorful key chains so it is easier to find the key if you drop it in the dirt.

But I usually take the key out while traveling and storing the bike, just so nobody can steal the key (or the bike).