Sign in to follow this  

GREASE YOUR SUSPENSION!

I bought a WR250f new this past summer (2004) and it seems here in Michigan that winter is almost here, so I decided to finally check my valve clearnces and grease the rear end, guys and gals, you should also do it. I found a fair amount of standing water in the linkages with some rust forming. Take out the "string cheese" and re-grease with some good gooey stuff! I used PolyLube from Park Tool. I work for a bike shop so I get it cheap. It is definetly a good thing to do. I found that my swingarm pearings were the worst.

So just a friendly reminder so you dont have to visit your local dealer prematurely. That stuff is for two-smokes!

I regreased the linkage on my 230 a week ago and was surprised to find hardly any grease in it!

Dealers are such &%$#@! when it comes to greasing. When I get the YZF tomorrow I'm greasin like mad hell.

I'm surprised that you had a problem. The "string cheese" is a high tech type of lubrication. It is supposed to keep the water and dirt out better than grease.

I bought my 01wr250f about four years ago. I took the "string cheese" out of one bearing, and it needs to be repacked or replaced about once a year now. The bearings with the cheese are still perfect. Can't explain the descrepancy. :cry:

I'm surprised that you had a problem. The "string cheese" is a high tech type of lubrication.

it's called MPL, microporous polymeric lubricant. MPLs are comprised of two major components, a spongy porous polymer and oil contained within the pores.

It is supposed to keep the water and dirt out better than grease.

copying from this lubrication factsheet...

"While MPLs generally resist contamination better than greased bearings, this does not make the bearing waterproof and will not prevent corrosion of the bearing."

what this means is that the MPL is better at preventing dirt ingress but poorer at preventing water ingress and subsequent corrosion of the bearing.

ps

for all the scoop on greasing your swingarm bearings, see

http://www.thumperfaq.com/swingarm.htm

pps

if you don't want to grease your swingarm, see

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB10&Number=1439603

jim ak athe wrooster

'01 wr250f

I left the "cheese" in mine because the manual called it "permanent polylube" but the polylube allowed water to get to the rollers and I had rust in my bearings. I had to replace them after only 6 months. The bearings are still good now after 18 months with the polylube removed and grease installed.

Grease works better IMO :cry:

Wrooster, where do you get this stuff? Do you sleep? lol. YOU DA MAN! :cry:

He lives in the real world :cry:

Great info :cry:

I use Caltex med-high temp marine grease. Its the ducks guts. It will work underwater and not break down. High quantities of water will however gradually remove particles of grease. Point is it needs regreasing every 6-12 months, but the grease is in beautiful condition when you get to it.

PS. My dealer also was a tight arse when it came to grease. All you lads getting your new bikes pull the steering bearings and swingarm and linkages apart in about 10 rides, your wallet will love you for it.

wrooster, I read all the links, and now I'm afraid to push the bike out of the garrage untill I re-grease. But do I use the Bel-ray or the STA-PLEX you refer to :cry:

Dealers are such &%$#@! when it comes to greasing. When I get the YZF tomorrow I'm greasin like mad hell.

Do you really think your dealer assembles the bike? They charge you "set up" for bolting a few things on. And they don't even do that, they pay someone like $25 to put it together and charge you $80+.

wrooster, I read all the links, and now I'm afraid to push the bike out of the garrage untill I re-grease. But do I use the Bel-ray or the STA-PLEX you refer to?

either way, it's OK. just get some good grease in there and keep after it.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

ps

if you must know the best grease on the planet is likely exxonmobil infinitec 152. :cry:

http://www.mobilsuperplus.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSE2GRSMOMobilInfinitec_152.asp

Do think KY Jelly would be OK??? RH

only on the rear bearings. :cry:

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Do think KY Jelly would be OK??? RH

only on the rear bearings.

Too Funny! :cry: Now I have to clean my coffee off the keyboard. :cry: