Sign in to follow this  

Is there such a thing as TO cool?

i installed my new boysen waterpump impeller and cover earlier today. i am considering engine ice but i have heard rumors of an engine running too cool. i would think the cooler the better but you never know. :cry:

I have run Engine Ice in my DRZ400 for 2 years. The pig runs hot to begin with. Even Engine ice was no help to stop the overheating when riding slow tight single track, or sliding through mudholes on a nasty harescramble. There is no replacement for keeping air moving across the radiators to disipate the heat. That is why along with using engine Ice I mounted cooling fans on my DRZ400, and my CRF250x.

250xfans.jpg

Not just Rumors!

My 250X does run noticeably cooler compared to my 400. Mainly because the smaller 250 engine with large radiators does not build as much heat as fast as the bigger 400 engine.

As I mentioned previously there is no substitue for keeping air flow across your radiators to disipate heat.

For example: At recent really nasty, muddy, rutted harescramble, after only of few miles of spinning my tires my 250X started to boil the radiators. I did not even notice the heat coming off the engine. If I had been on my 400, I would have felt the heat coming up from the engine before the radiators boiled. One of my friends, and sveral others boiled all the coolant out of thier radiators which led to a lot of DNFs. I flipped on the switch to the cooling fans as soon as I noticed the radiators were starting to boil and was able to finished the event.

I have run Engine Ice in my DRZ400 for 2 years. The pig runs hot to begin with. Even Engine ice was no help to stop the overheating when riding slow tight single track, or sliding through mudholes on a nasty harescramble. There is no replacement for keeping air moving across the radiators to disipate the heat. That is why along with using engine Ice I mounted cooling fans on my DRZ400, and my CRF250x.

250xfans.jpg

Does this actually work??? Could I do this on a KX250F???

Jimbo

yes you can run an engine too cool, try firing up ur bike and going racing with it; it will run like crap and very likely blow the engine. The engine has an ideal operating temperature however I doubt that by using the boyesen impeller + engine ice you'll go below the minimum operating temp. To be safe get a temp gun and measure what temperature the head is at before the engine ice. If you're around 190 or below just leave it. If you're higher than that then add the engine ice.

Jimbo

Nope, your KX250F does not have a battery nor a charging system to run an electric fan. The 250X and DRZ do. :cry:

yes you can run an engine too cool, try firing up ur bike and going racing with it; it will run like crap and very likely blow the engine. The engine has an ideal operating temperature however I doubt that by using the boyesen impeller + engine ice you'll go below the minimum operating temp. To be safe get a temp gun and measure what temperature the head is at before the engine ice. If you're around 190 or below just leave it. If you're higher than that then add the engine ice.

Dude, what's up with your signature? Did Burned piss you off somehow?

Depends on what type of races you race. I suppose if you where doing tight single trails than you will need all cooling power you can get, while on fast, open areas it wont be as important.

Jimbo

Nope, your KX250F does not have a battery nor a charging system to run an electric fan. The 250X and DRZ do. :cry:

Nope... the KX250F DOES have a 30 watt coil. I just wanted to know if someone has done this on a MX bike that has no battery??

Jimbo

There is such a thing as running too cool, but you'll never get there unless you're riding somewhere below 0 degrees F. Use all means possible to keep things cool...it helps. Another way that the better cooling systems (i.e. boysen, engine ice, fans, etc.) will help is by smoothing out hot spots in the engine. A hot spot on your engine head can cause pinging...bad...very, very bad!

Anyone know how engine ice works? What is the main chemical additive they use? Does it actually make the water cooler (disapate the heat faster) or does it raise the boiling point? Does Engine Ice taste salty. :cry: What does the bottle say?

Anyone take any temperature readings (infrared thermometer) before/after with the additive? Or maybe two of the same bikes riden side by side, one with Ice and one without? How much cooler are we talkin' about ....5 10 20 degrees cooler? :cry:

This is Boo Hodges with Liquid Performance and the answer to your question is yes and no. In certain less than desirable conditions your bike could run to cool but in reality I don't think that todays bikes can go there due to our ever wanting need to go faster and have more power. In race conditions, cooler is always better, the hotter your bike runs the less horsepower it will maintain. We have dyno tested our Racing Coolant aganist all others on the market and our tests and several other engine builders tests have showed that LP Racing Coolant has decreased engine operating temps better than all those tested against. Our dyno tests have also shown that the cooler the bike runs the more horespower it maintains. Loss of horsepower between coolants can be as much as 2 HP loss. Hope this helps answer your question.

Boo Hodges

Liquid Performance

Nope... the KX250F DOES have a 30 watt coil. I just wanted to know if someone has done this on a MX bike that has no battery??

Jimbo

It will take a lot more than 30 watts to run an electric fan, especially since the 30 watt generator on the KX250F was designed to run the ignition and that in gear auto idle control on the RMZ/KXF's. So, those items are already drawing electrical power from those 30 watts.

I would not recommend it unless you get the stator rewound!

This is Boo Hodges with Liquid Performance and the answer to your question is yes and no. In certain less than desirable conditions your bike could run to cool but in reality I don't think that todays bikes can go there due to our ever wanting need to go faster and have more power. In race conditions, cooler is always better, the hotter your bike runs the less horsepower it will maintain. We have dyno tested our Racing Coolant aganist all others on the market and our tests and several other engine builders tests have showed that LP Racing Coolant has decreased engine operating temps better than all those tested against. Our dyno tests have also shown that the cooler the bike runs the more horespower it maintains. Loss of horsepower between coolants can be as much as 2 HP loss. Hope this helps answer your question.

Boo Hodges

Liquid Performance

Boo, where can we buy your racing coolant?

I answer some of your questions here: CRF250X My Mods

("Radiator guards" topic near the bottom of the page)