Sign in to follow this  

Using Back Brake Too Much?

Today started working on my cornering and was intentionally trying to stay on the gas through the corner and control speed with front and back brakes while still on the gas (somewhat). Seems like I'm a LOT faster through the corner this way but my rear rotor got hot to the touch and stayed that way for a good while after it was parked. Also, the rotor was noticably blacker than it's been in the past.

Just curious how I would know if I was overdoing it on the rear brake and if y'all can offer some suggestions on how to maybe not overlap the braking and accelerating quite as much. I'm thinking this will naturally get better with time but I was real happy with my progress today so don't want to stop where I am.

(Nothe that this is cross posted on the technique forum)

Eddie

I'm not sure that power braking is going to be very good for your rotors. With the built in compression braking of the thumper, you can dive into the corner farther than on a two stroke. Since your front brake is more powerful than your rear brake, that will stop you quicker. I use the rear brake as my primary braking technique if I want to power slide. Otherwise, it is a combo of th etwo.

VET-

Thanks for the reply. I'm HOPING this is kind of a temporary thing for me. It's helping me to figure out how far I CAN go into the corner with the power on and gives me a feeling of more control cause my front end isn't diving in as much. So, while I'm sure you're right, it's just kind of a practice technique for me for now so just trying to see how hot I can get them without causing damage.

I'm actually using both but probably my biggest problem right now is that I use my front brake TOO much.

In other words, I come into the corner reasonably hot (hotter than I really want to be so that I can attempt to get through the turn faster), then I get paranoid that I'll overshoot the turn (sortof) then I grab a handful of front brake (not a crazy amount but enough to slow my momentum too much... I think that's what I'm figuring out)which messes up my momentum then I don't have anything to carry me through the turn so I'm on the gas harder quicker and my rear get's squirrely etc (but somewhat controllable).

After thinking all this through, I believe this is what has attributed to my "squirrely" albeit tiring riding style. When I was power braking I was Sooooooooooo much smoother and felt faster and less tired big time.

Anyway, I want to continue with the practice just thought you might be interested in what I was trying to accomplish.

Thanks for the interest.

Eddie

I'd try and steer clear of that. If you smoke a rear brake during a race, how will ride then? Sounds like you should get with someone who can really tune a suspension and work at it form that angle. I never power braked but in the really tight stuff, I was either on the gas or on the brakes. I'd use the rear with the front because two is better than one.

Also try dragging the front brake very lightly throught some of these turns. Once you get accumstom to it, you'll find you can turn extremly fast. The bike will handle, you just have to develop the confidence to make the bike do it.

Doctor it hurts when I do this. Then don't do it.

my rear rotor got hot to the touch

It's an accepted technique, but your rear rotor will obviously wear out faster and your rear brake may fade and squeal after the rotor and fluid gets really hot.

OK. Getting mixed reviews here. Guess I'll just try and find some middle ground and run synthetic brake fluid like was suggested in the technique forum.

Thanks.

Are we talking motocross??

Especially on a thumper its best to brake early then get back on the gas before you enter the corner. the bike is much more controllable on the gas as opposed to brakeing.

while learning this when u get back on the gas just half throttle it for a while and twist the throttle throughout the corner when you exit you should be pinned.

In time with proper skills and body position you will be able to brake before the corner and pin it through the corner. Too many people try and learn a corner at full speed. Smooth is fast and if you arent smooth at half throttle then u wont be at full throttle.

Remember back on the gas when u sit down, elbows up, tilt your Body(not just the bike),tilt your head, foot out, and point yout toe.

:cry: Norman

RC-

Sounds like some good info. Yes, I'm talking dirt.

What you said about being back on the gas before you enter the corner sounds like what I'm trying to accomplish by power braking. Sounds like what you're suggesting is what I'm working towards by power braking into the corner and getting all my hard front braking done before I enter the corner. You've cleared up some things for me here.

Thanks.

I use the technique in sandy turns(rear brake only).It gives much better steering control.Most pros use it to.You do need to use Dot4 (or even 5)and i remove the rear disk guard for extra cooling.And keep your pads fresh,as worn pads transfer more heat to the cailper/rotor. :cry:

That's definately more of a technique to use on 2 strokes. My CRF does not like to he brake to be touched at all in corners, it just causes a push in the front end. But brake before the turn and accelerate steadily all the way through and it rails corners like riding on velcro. I would try working on this. Don't get me wrong, there are some instances where dragging a brake will help too.

Motochris-

Thanks for the extra info on fluid and pads etc. Also good to know I haven't completely lost my marbles.

RMX-

You say your CRF doesn't like the brake to be touched at all in corners. Are you talking about the front brake? I think so cause you say it causes a push in the front end. I don't see how grabbing some rear could cause a push in the front.

Yeah, the front brake. The rear brake I basically only use for sliding into tight corners anymore, as far as turning goes. I still drag it a little through short sharp whoops and braking bumps, etc.