Sign in to follow this  

Purchasing a Quad??

My Son has CRF50 and is getting to good on it, and now he wants a Quad, what would be the best for him?

Hight: This high - not this any more _

Abaility: soso

:cry:

tell him quads are for girls, and get him a KTM 50.

(cant wait to see what people respond to this)

or if he dont believe that say real me dont need 4 wheels to stay up

I did the opposite with my son. Started him out on a Suzuki 50 quad when he was three, now (almost 3 years later) he's on a KTM Pro Jr.

Reason- unless you count the heavily modified ($5000+) 90cc quads from Korea, or the 70cc race-only quad that Cobra is going to introduce this year, the performance market for kids quads sucks. They are heavy, poor handling, underpowered, and have crap quality control compared to what's available in kids dirtbikes. Not surprisingly, much of the problem stems from our government's involvement in atv's.

The 50cc race bikes (KTM, Cobra, LEM, etc) are really quick, well-suspended, and rather maintenance intensive machines; they are motocross race bikes. I strongly suggest spending some time reading the archives at www.Ktmtalk.com in the 50cc section before jumping in. They can be used for trail riding, but it's not even close to ideal. If your son is tall enough to fit on a older KX60 then that would be a super step up from the XR. They are cheap, reliable, and a rocketship compared to an XR50.

On the flip side, if your boy isn't a very agressive rider and just wants to trail ride and cruise around, some of the 90cc quads would work well. Check out www.miniatvs.com for some specifics.

the best thing would be if he could fit on a 80 or 85cc bike. The ktms are reliable however they are slightly more race oriented than most bikes so you will probably rebuild the engine more often that you would on say a yamaha or kawasaki.

If your son is tall enough, why not a 250EX? My 9-year old son can handle our 250EX quite well, but he can still grow in to it.

But ALL of my kids prefer dirt bikes to quads. My wife prefers the quad because she doesn't like the 'squirelly' feeling of the bike when the rear tire slides around. If you ride in a lot of sand, a quad may be better, but for trail riding we prefer bikes.

if he realy is set on geting a quad then i would look at e-ton. thay are very reliable and there is bond to be a dealer close by were you can get parts. We used to sell them where I work but we got out of the atv market. they make two models I would sugest you get the 90 the 50 is so under powerd. The suz 80 is a good one to. If you take all the restricons out they mite accelerate as good as the xr but I dont think they will touch it in top speed. I have a fealing your son would get bord of the quad realy fast.

@ 9 years old, he'd have about 2 days before he out grew the KTM if he's of average size.

I think the decision is up to YOU--not him. I was "set" on lots of things when I was 9 years old. Personally, I would tell him it's a dirt bike or nothing. Quads are for sissies. Also realize that if, in the future, you want to take him riding, he probably won't be able to follow on a quad (depending on terrain)

@ 9 years old, he'd have about 2 days before he out grew the KTM if he's of average size.

true, TTR 90 or 125? crf 100?

I think the decision is up to YOU--not him. I was "set" on lots of things when I was 9 years old. Personally, I would tell him it's a dirt bike or nothing. Quads are for sissies. Also realize that if, in the future, you want to take him riding, he probably won't be able to follow on a quad (depending on terrain)

lmao, i wanted a quad when i was little, and my dad said get a bike. he doesnt really like either but he prefers bikes. bikes are safer too. Not that I don't like quads, but bikes are alot more fun imo. Say if you got him a 65 or 85, he could ride in casually and when hes ready to step it up and do some mx riding/racing, he can do it with a stock bike! You'd have to spend some coin to get a mini-quad that can take the abuse of a fast rider.

bikes 4 lyfe

that pretty much goes for any young child/small bike combo. why not wait till he stops growing to buy him a bike?

jeremiah

ditto

here are a few things to consider:

1) there are 4 KTM 50s: the SX50 jr, SX50 sr (sr is taller, otherwise they're the same), adventure jr and sr. the adventures are tuned down, air cooled 2 stroke trail bikes. the SXs are MXers.

2) quads suck

3) quad riders suck

4) don't even remotely let him throw a fit about getting a bike rather than a quad. i got bupkus growing up, nadda. do not reward ingratitude.

5) why not an XR/CRF 70 or 80?

jeremiah

Guys, calling quad riders names and suggesting that his son won't be able to go places where dad can doesn't make much sense here. It appears that dad rides a TRX450R.

Chuck,

The Suzuki 80's rear suspension is crap, with the pivot point being the front of the engine. Yes, the engine IS the swingarm. It's also a very narrow quad (read: tippy). After being modified however, the LT80 can be made to perform pretty well. Capable of hitting 60 mph.

The Raptor 50 and 80 are junk, with a solid beam front suspension, and super low rev limiters.

Thanks all, for the info, I'll take it in and make a decision soon.

and yes I do ride a Quad, I have rode two wheels growing-up and now itas time for four wheels.

:cry: Personally, I enjoy them both. Some of my friends only ride quads, 4 wheels are more fun in the sand, and light years better in the snow than 2.

Since your son's 9, if you look into a dirtbike I'd suggest something like the KLX110 or TTR125 for trailriding, or a KX65 or KX85 for going fast. Good luck with your decisions.

Get the hop-ups done on that TRX450, what a performance difference over the stock castrated setup!

First of all, I'm dissapointed that you guys are dissing quads and quad riders. It doesn't matter if you ride 2-strokes or 4, or 2 wheeles or four, we need to support each other. We share the trails and the tracks and if we plan on keeping them open in the future, we can't have decent among the troops. It's all about dirt and it doesn't matter what you throw your leg over.

If you want to get him a quad, I would reccomend something in the 90cc range, but really it's something you have to make a decision on. What kind of riding do you and your family mostly do? If you do a lot of trail riding and camping, I would suggest a utility quad. Whatever you decide be it a bike or a quad, good luck and have fun.

First of all, I'm dissapointed that you guys are dissing quads and quad riders. It doesn't matter if you ride 2-strokes or 4, or 2 wheeles or four, we need to support each other. We share the trails and the tracks and if we plan on keeping them open in the future, we can't have decent among the troops. It's all about dirt and it doesn't matter what you throw your leg over.

If you want to get him a quad, I would reccomend something in the 90cc range, but really it's something you have to make a decision on. What kind of riding do you and your family mostly do? If you do a lot of trail riding and camping, I would suggest a utility quad. Whatever you decide be it a bike or a quad, good luck and have fun.

shut up noob. i hate quads they ruin great lines on tracks and trails.