450 stroker to 250 smoker

How many of you guys have made the transition from 450 stroker to 250 smoker?? I am seriously considering doing so.

If you have made the switch, how hard was it to get used to the instant throttle response?? I have not riden a 2 stroke since I had a 1987 KX250. I feel that I may have become too much of a 4 stroke rider because I love to lug my bike and not shift much. I even pull starts in 3rd gear.

I am thinking of making the switch for several reasons. for one, I am just ready for soemthing different....that keeps things fun. Second, a 2 stroke is easier to maintain and a lot chaper to fix if it takes a dump on you. But, I have never had any problems with either of my YZF's. I have also heard others say that they don't get tired as quick on a 2 stroke as they do on the big bike. I don't know if that is true or not.

Let me know what you guys think. That '05 YZ250 is calling my name. Should I listen to its callings or hop on my 450 and drown out the voices?

Wyatt,

Are you talking about off road riding, or motocross? If off road, comments below. If motocross, disregard.

I just made the change from a KTM 520 EXC 4 st to a KTM 250 EXC 2 st and am loving the 250. So much lighter, easier to ride faster. Maintenance is easier too. Way more fun IMO.

Downsides. 250 doesn't do as good on the occaisional road section, have to have premix oil handy.

For the 2 strokes I like the KTM EXC's because they are designed to be enduro/off road bikes, not motocrossers, so they are geared, suspended, and most importantly, the hit is mellowed a bit for off road.

For the YZ, I would love to try an '05 125 or 250 that is set up for off road. Its the only non-KTM 2 stroke that I would consider for off road. Just keep in mind that it will likely need a flywheel weight, suspension mods, and gearing to work well off road.

I say go for the 2 stroke. You only live once. If you don't like it, you can always go back. ?

Ed

I owned an '03 CRF450, then an '04 CRF250, now an '05 YZ250. I liked each bike more than the previous one, though each took an adjustment period before I got up to speed and came to that conclusion. Just rode another CRF450 last night, nearly a year after selling mine, and it felt pretty odd! I was happy to get back on my featherlight YZ. ?

Either choice is a great one, just depends on what "flavor" you prefer!

A post like this comes up about once a week.

Each have their place, but why try to say one is categorically better than the other?

It's all about power delivery. When you can buy a 225 ib 4 stroke 450 (CRF450), why would you want a 2 stroke, unless you are racing supercross or really tight woods? For everything else, the 4 stroke is king, and guess what? They are only going to get lighter and more powerful.

Go whip yourself into a 2 stroke frenzy, if that rocks your world. Ring ding ding ding ding. ?

Each have their place, but why try to say one is categorically better than the other?

It's all about power delivery. When you can buy a 225 ib 4 stroke 450 (CRF450), why would you want a 2 stroke, unless you are racing supercross or really tight woods? For everything else, the 4 stroke is king, and guess what? They are only going to get lighter and more powerful.

Go whip yourself into a 2 stroke frenzy, if that rocks your world. Ring ding ding ding ding. ?

wow. i'm nominating you for quickest self contradiction ever. nice one.

jeremiah

99% of us are no where near riding our bikes to it's potential. I rode last night with a very nice gentleman that must be near 60(very fast too). He has a crf450 (04) and just had his valves adjusted cause it was getting hard to start.

He doesnt read thumpertalk or use the internet, just takes his bike to the shop.

I didnt have the heart to tell him what he is in for ?

I am looking at the 2 smokers as well. My XR has been anvil like reliable (as you would expect). My son's CRF250R has already had a whole new top end, before he his tire was worn out! The CRF250R's are fantastic bikes and we're keeping it. But for me, I'm thinking 2005 RM 250 or YZ 250. My good riding buddy just picked up a 2005 RM and that thing ROCKS! I have not ridden a 2005 YZ 250 yet. So light and yet makes good power. Simpler & cheaper to maintain, which I need so I can have money for the next top end on the CRF! Doh! ?

i changed from a crf450, having tried and tested every other option i landed on an 05 rmz250, i found the 450 power just to much and the weight against me. with the 2-stroke i struggled with the different power delivry and on off power. with the rmx it still has the power snap but doesnt keep going beyond my capability, i race hare scrambles and on the track, i find the rmz my perfect match.

?

99% of us are no where near riding our bikes to it's potential. I rode last night with a very nice gentleman that must be near 60(very fast too). He has a crf450 (04) and just had his valves adjusted cause it was getting hard to start.

He doesnt read thumpertalk or use the internet, just takes his bike to the shop.

So if he's fast, he must be good and if he's good what's there to worry about w/ him being on a 450/4? ? Or am I missing your point?

Cause in a week or two the bike shop is going to bend him over for a grand on a bike that he just bought? ?

So if he's fast, he must be good and if he's good what's there to worry about w/ him being on a 450/4? ? Or am I missing your point?

Cause in a week or two the bike shop is going to bend him over for a grand on a bike that he just bought? ?

I did miss your point. In other words, he's got a 4-stroke that he doesn't know how to work on (via free internet education - TT) and the dealer's a gonna rape him. ?