Need a mx/jumper, any advice??

Evertone here has been great and I have learned tons from you all! I am an intermediate rider, back on the bike after a few years of other stuff. Anyway, i have an XR4 that i love. Great on the trails and in the woods, but I want to get on the MX track and realy learn to jump. I've seen XRs fly and it can be done, but... I huck mine around a littl and it just isn't desinged fot that. I want to get an inexpensive bike just to ride on the track and learn jumping. Any suggestions? I'm not to big, 5'9" 160lb. My girlfrient has a TTR 125 with KX suspension and I have taken it out on the track, but it seems so small and weak. I'm figuring a used 2 smoke would be the key. What do you all think? Thanks in advance.

Monte

I'd say go with a Yamaha 4 stroke, a 250F. A two stroke wouldn't be key to you because you'll have a harder time learning to keep the rpm's right and dealing with the hit, rather than dealing with the jumps :cry:

5'9" 160lb. ..... I'm figuring a used 2 smoke would be the key.

Welcome, XR. Looks like you'll need to change your handle pretty soon, eh? Well, IMO if you're an intermediate rider, you should skip the smaller bikes and get a 450F/250 class bike. A 250F/125 bike will leave you wanting in lots of MX situations, again IMO.

Your info says that you are in Central/NorCal. Are you anywhere near me and my son? We live in the east Bay, and ride from Livermore down to Hollister. If you'd like to link up for a demo ride, you can try out my CRF450. I'm guessing that you'll like it a lot on MX tracks and for jumping. You can still go with a 2-stroke 250, but the 4-stroke 450s of all colors have some fun advantages.

PM me if you want to link up. Otherwise, I'd suggest trying to test ride a couple 250cc 2-smokes and a couple colors of the 450 4-strokes. Have fun! :cry:

I agree with berkeman on his opinion on getting a 250 2st/450 4st. I have ridden 250f's and dont think I would (happily) go to a 250f. I love the insta power of the big bore. It's kind of addicting :cry:

But ride what you can. You will hear alot of people say go with the 2stroke to get the experience, and others say go with the 4stroke for easy of use. There are a whole bunch of reasons for one or the other, but ultimately its up to you and what you like.

Thanks for the info so far! I do realy like the ease of a thumper. I have ridden 2 smokes and would have to rethink my technique. Thing is, most of the realy nice MX 4 strokers are realy expensive. I'm not giving up the XR or trail riding, but just looking for a track toy. '90s vintage 2s are real cheap. On the other hand, if I realy get hooked. I'll just have to buy a newer bike soon! As for hooking up at hollister, i'd love to. I'm in the midle of negotiating the sale of my business, but would love to ride with some fellow TTrs as soon as I am free!!! I guess if all goes well with the sale I could afford an mx thumper. Thanks again for the input so far. Hope to be free of work soon!! Winters comming. First rain today - Clear Creek should start lighting up!!!

Yeah... in terms of budget, you can find 1.5 billion 2-smokes out there for cheap. Regardless of 2 or 4 strokes, you'll appreciate the light feel of a true MX machine vs the XR.

I would suggest a 2001 YZ250f. I have one and will probably selling it soon for about 1500 or so. The 400f does have great power but I like to be able to throw my 250f around alot easier.

I'd say go with a Yamaha 4 stroke, a 250F. A two stroke wouldn't be key to you because you'll have a harder time learning to keep the rpm's right and dealing with the hit, rather than dealing with the jumps :cry:

Those 250fs are way to slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow

I would suggest a 2001 YZ250f. I have one and will probably selling it soon for about 1500 or so.

There you go XR4!

A mid 90 to late 90s YZ or KX would be ideal and shouldnt be too hard to find or too expensive. I've ridden a 98 kx250 and a 99' yz250 and their powerbands were very easy to use. Powerful? Yes..but loads of fun. As you probably know, these bikes are rather snappy so watch out, just in case lol.

You can find nice used YZ426's (green sticker too) for as little as $2000-$2500 in NorCal.

I'd off the XR and buy a clean 2000-2002 426. By the newest you can afford. All are great bikes for learning to jump and ride MX.

I would say buy a older used 250. Like a 1998-2000. The pirce range could be from around 1800$-3000$ depending on mods and condition. Just look for an older one with a new engine rebuild so you know you arn't going to seize it first couple times out. O BTW I say a XR400 sore over this 65ft table top at a track near me. :cry:

go buy a new 450-i ride a yamaha but the new honda is pretty sweet too-250Fs are ok but i think you might like the big power of the 450 for jumps-just make sure you do your pushups :cry:

You can find nice used YZ426's (green sticker too) for as little as $2000-$2500 in NorCal.

I'd off the XR and buy a clean 2000-2002 426. By the newest you can afford. All are great bikes for learning to jump and ride MX.

what other year 250fs are green sticker?