2005 gearboxes blowing up!!!

Hi all,was thinking of upgrading my 2000 400 exc to a 2005 model and have heard some disturbing news of a few 2005 exc's having severe g'box problems. Has anyone else heard of the new bikes with g'box problems? I believe ktm have changed the gear manufacturer and the problem stems from there.Don't want to worry anyone but if you know of 2005 bikes with g/box problems lets hear about it.

+1 on the where did you hear this?

I'm over at KTMTalk.com quite a bit these days and haven't heard a thing about it.

I've got an 05 450 EXC and I haven't blown up anything yet. Cracked my wrist and got a patch of gravel rash on my butt though ?.

Updates appreciated.

Comparing the 05 EXC/MXC part numbers to the 04 tranny internals I found only one new needle bearing part number. Two bearings on the main shaft page #38 item 3 changed from 56533099000 to 0405222613. The old bearing K22X26X13 DIVIDED is now called K 22X26X13 TN. All other parts carry the same part numbers from 04.

If someone told you or you heard about a gearbox problem, why didn't you "pry" further to get the whole story before you come here and stir the pot?

also, you say that you have heard "of a few cases" yet you cannot give anymore details that that????

Since when did asking a reasonable question become "stirring up the pot?" Quit being so defensive and give the guy a chance to reply.

Hi all,was thinking of upgrading my 2000 400 exc to a 2005 model and have heard some disturbing news of a few 2005 exc's having severe g'box problems. Has anyone else heard of the new bikes with g'box problems? I believe ktm have changed the gear manufacturer and the problem stems from there.Don't want to worry anyone but if you know of 2005 bikes with g/box problems lets hear about it.

The starter idler gear is weak in the 05's. The 525's seem to be the worst effected and are shedding teeth where the starter engages. The gear is redesigned but carries the same P/N. The fix is to fit the 02 model gear apparently.

I have two friends with 05 525's and they have both broken the gear teeth and it wasn't due to the engine kicking back. My local dealer has replaced six gears in the first month since supplying them to customers. The broken teeth are normally found in the bottom of the cases but I wonder where else they get to before that!!

I'll hangon to my 03 thanks. ?

I'm not saying this is false, but it's hard to believe that if this is really a widespread problem it's not all over KTMtalk or here. I have heard of no issues with tranny or starting gears on the 05's.