Sign in to follow this  

what 1st time bike

i am looking into getting my beautiful wife a bike so she can come riding with me and the 2 boys the youngest(5) has just started to ride his brothers(7) pw50 so she no longer has to entertain him now while me and my boy are riding.

Just looking for some ideas from you about what bike would be a good choice for her, she is going to be absolute beginer and is 5 8" tall

thanks thumpettes :cry:

Ugh, I'm sorry but this has got to be the #1 most asked question on here. Do a search and you'll see a million opinions on this one.

Good luck! I think it's great you are trying to get her into riding!

:cry:

I'm not a Thumpette, but my 15 year old daughter is. I bought her an '04 DR 200...it's PERFECT...seat height..she can place both feet on the ground....power...not too much...it's street legal, she rides it to school....for HER it is perfect....

Tom

I have decided to get my wife a KDX. Easy to ride and easy to start. Plus it can grow as her skills do. And last but not least. The price. I can spend less on her and more on me. :cry: :cry: (That was a joke.) :cry: :cry:

Check out the sticky post at the top of the forum, 'Beginner's Bikes'... we get this question a lot, so Firecracker & lilGirl contributed their efforts to make a couple of 'reports' on the smaller bikes for beginning riders as a sort of 'permanent' resource for the thumpette forum. Hope its helpful! :cry:

ok i am sorry i guess i should have done a search 1st but i never thought to do it, i just wanted a few off the cuff answers to help me along the way.

One thing that i noticed tho was that p5 pilot said his 15yr old daughter has a street legal bije that she rides to school, is there no age restriction in the usa about when children can ride on public roads?

ok I'll give you a quick response. If she has never ridden before I would go for a DRZ125L/KLX125L/CRF150/TTR125L (whichever colour you pledge alliegence to) Im 5'7 and have a DRZ125 and they are perfect bikes to get started on - they're not too slow and are easy to handle and easy to start despite what people say.

Does that help?

One thing that i noticed tho was that p5 pilot said his 15yr old daughter has a street legal bije that she rides to school, is there no age restriction in the usa about when children can ride on public roads?

I believe you can get a motorcycle permit for a 250cc or less when you are 14.

Electric start! I never realized the benefits until I taught my wife to ride. '04TTR125LE..... If you do buy a TTR you might as well throw the handlebars away and get a good set right from the get go. It doesn't take more than a 1st gear get-off to pretzle the factory bars. Other than the bars I think the bike is great and I have every bit as much fun on it as I do my XR250.

i checked out the "sticky" as learningtofly suggested but it was pretty much what i could find from the web with mainly technical info, what i am looking for is some 1st hand opinions about what bike the ladies ride and why it works for them. I am thinking i would probably go electric start for the obvious reason on starting after an off, yeah i know it will weigh a few extra pounds but she doesn't intend on carrying it just riding it :cry: :cry: :cry: i am just kidding i think the advantages of the "magic" button outweigh the the weight factor

what i am looking for is some 1st hand opinions about what bike the ladies ride and why it works for them.

I think you'll find that a lot of the ladies ride bikes unsuited for beginners! :cry: Although my YZ250F IS my first bike! And I learned on a RM125! :cry: (But I had street bike experience...)

There are so many different factors to consider... have HER read the sticky, maybe, and give you some feedback... your wife's perspective might be different from what you think! Firecracker I thought did an excellent good job of breaking down the basic issues for a beginner or 'lay' person. :cry:

One thought about e-starts... if she's ever going to want to move up, v. just putt around after the kids, she'll appreciate having learned HOW to kick-start on a SMALL bike early on, as it sure saves weight when you move up to the more powerful bikes! But that's just one of those 'factors' I was talking about... what kind of riding does she want to do, and where does she want to go with it! :cry:

[ what kind of riding does she want to do, and where does she want to go with it! :cry:

She wants to do the same sort of riding i do and go the same places i go :cry: :cry: just kidding, she doesn't know about this it is going to be a surprise for her so i can't really ask her what bike she wants besides as she has never ridden a bike of any description before it would be a question she couldn't answer as she has no experiance. It will ridden tho mainly on trails

sorry if you're just looking for a woman's opinion... but being that I have 7 daughters and my wife living with me... I might have a little insight from a woman's perspective. Nah... not really but I do recommend the CRF230. It's a very easy bike to ride and will go most any trail you need to. A buddy of mine has one as his first bike and it's served him well.

I agree. I didn't learn on my crf-230, but I do love it. I actually learned on a ttr-90 and then moved to a xr-100. I'm 5'5" and about 148 lbs. It's the right height....and I love the e-start. Oh, and it's a great bike for trails....plenty of power. :cry:

Just get something little, used, & cheap with a decent resale... after she 'gets into it' you (and she!) will have a better idea where she wants to go with it, and if she wants to move up! Sweet suprise, btw! :cry:

i checked out the "sticky" as learningtofly suggested but it was pretty much what i could find from the web with mainly technical info, what i am looking for is some 1st hand opinions about what bike the ladies ride and why it works for them. I am thinking i would probably go electric start for the obvious reason on starting after an off, yeah i know it will weigh a few extra pounds but she doesn't intend on carrying it just riding it :cry: :cry: :cry: i am just kidding i think the advantages of the "magic" button outweigh the the weight factor

I'm confused . . . did you read that big long post in the beginner bikes thread? That is purely thoughts and opinions on the bikes listed, given by myself and others who have ridden them. The second post--a link to a chart--was technical info for comparison purposes that Lilgirl put together.

You do have to actually read the whole thing. But it is exactly what you asked for. I have ridden a large number of those machines, and gathered more info from friends who also have.

For my ht/wt ratio I'm not overly excited about going into the CRF230 but I feel pretty confident that it's a great choice for a 5'8" woman, assuming she's not a weakling.

The CRF230 is on the heavy side but has the e-start and is a nimble bike. Also, the price is pretty darn attractive. Better yet if you can get a used one. You'll never have a problem reselling it.

Really, at 5'8" she has a ton of options so it really should come down to what entry level bike is best suited for the terain you want to do.