Sign in to follow this  

05 Obsession

After two nights on the track, I can't believe how good this bike is! I really didn't expect it to be THAT much different from my '02. It is noticably less top heavy. Feels much more "250 like"(and not just in a magazine coin phrase type of way either). The D742/D756 combo is really impressive. Great tires! Also the suspension... I was disappointed at first when I heard Honda dropped the spring rate in the forks from .47 to .46, but after coming up just short on our biggest table top (fully expecting my wrists to snap) I was forgiven with a slight bottom and controlled hop down the ramp. Honda did a great job with the valving - plush with good bottoming resistance. This is the best suspension package I've ever felt. I actually enjoyed attacking the whoop section and found I could make the most time through there (over other riders with their inferior suspension :cry:). I experienced less arm pump too. The power... buttery smooth and FAST (faster than my 2002? I guess so... :cry: , but who cares? Handling is where the story is at).

Overall the bike is phenominal. It inspires confidence and forgives mistakes. I can ride faster, more aggressive, and I get less tired than on my 02. My riding impression - the best MX bike ever! I have to think the 2-strokes are in real trouble. The handling disadvantage on this bike compared to a 250 2-stroke is next to 'nill. But the power/usability advantage is massive. I really love this bike! :cry:

I have to agree. I had an '03 and got an '04. I could tell the weight difference a little but it took me a while to get used to the different power delivery. After I got used to it I was a lot more comfortable on my 04 vs. my 03.

Now, I got an 05 and rode it this weekend for the first time and I couldn't believe how much better it is. I really didn't expect it to be that much different. The weight difference is so noticeable and it actually turns with spending mucho $$$. The new frame is sweet. I got off the track on my 05 and jumped on my 04 and I felt like I was getting on an XR.

The 05 is great coming off a massaged 02 it's hard to believe how fast and light the new one is.I have raced mine 3 times and 3 wins so it is good,I do think it could hurt you if you day dreamed for a second.

One of my buddies just picked up his 05 on Saturday. He said it inspired confidence with him also. He is going to bring over this week so I can try it out. I'm seriously considering buying one myself. I'm sure after I ride it I will want one. :cry:

I'm coming from an 04 to an 05. I'll agree completely on the handling characteristics of the 05. I was completely satisfied with my 04. But, the 05 is awesome. I do feel the suspension is way too soft. I bottomed continually on the front end at the track. Even then, it still soaked it up well with good rebound. My 04 had ENZO on it. I just tore off the suspension of my 05 to get it valved and resprung by Will at ENZO. Other than the suspension, i'm smiling ear to ear. That chassis is awesome and the power seems so crisp.

I have to add my 2 cents...I sold my 04 on Friday night and picked up my 05 yesterday - man, what a bike!

Let me first say that I was really impressed with the attention to detail on the bike - even more so than my 04. When I got it home, I pulled apart the front end and to my amazement, I found that many of the fasteners has already been treated with loctite, and the head bearings were actually well greased. The airbox is actually almost functional now - in fact, Honda seems to have adopted almost all of the airbox mods I had done on the 04 - including losing the ridge on the rear of the airbox. They molded the snorkels into the sidepanels, however (but they are much smaller than last year).

When I took it to the track this morning, I was instantly pleased. After following the "warm it up thoroughly, then ride it like you stole it" school of break-in, I found that the bike cornered much better than my 04 - much less tendancy to push the front end, and, as others have said, with the changes in frame dimensions, it does feel as if it is 10 lbs lighter.

The suspension appeared to be spot-on out of the box for my 185 lbs - 95mm of sag without touching a thing. I did not experience any bottoming and as has been said, it seemed to track through the whoops much better than my 04.

I don't know if it was the break-in procedure, or changes in the bike, but after 4 cycles of ride a moto, cool it down completely, I really got on it, and it was clearly stronger than my 04, especially from midrange and up. For me, it was truly "scary fast."

Finally, I have to agree - the tire choices for this bike are quite good. I have been a fan of the Michelin Starcross lately, but the 756 rear seemed to have significantly better lateral grip than I remember. Much less flat-tracking around corners than with my Michelin equipped 04. (I will reserve final judgement until I see how fast the Dunlop wears, however...)

All in all, I am very happy I decided to sell my 04 and buy the 05. Now if I could only ride it to its full potential :cry:

Wow 05 sounds nice i have an 04 and was planning on getting a 05 right away but break up with girlfriend leaves me with all bills.Hope to have one soon i cant turn half as good on my crf as compared to a cr sounds like a 05 could save a few seconds a lap just in cornering.

The suspension appeared to be spot-on out of the box for my 185 lbs - 95mm of sag without touching a thing.

Really? I weigh about 180-185 with gear, and mine was way soft in the sag department from the factory. I had to give it over two turns on the preload to get it around 100mm of sag!? I wonder why yours is so different?

Must be nice to get a new bike every year! How the heck do you guys do that? Must be rolling in the cash or something. I'm looking at another 2 years with my 2003. :cry:

Jimbo, how much did you have to adjust on the clickers for your weight? Im picking up mine this week, i weigh 195

Jimbo, how much did you have to adjust on the clickers for your weight? Im picking up mine this week, i weigh 195

To tell you the truth, I haven't played with the clickers yet. I've only ridden it twice. But I cranked the preload on the rear about 2 1/2 turns tighter to get the sag at 100mm. I plan to ride tomorrow, and I will add some rebound damping in the rear to compensate for the added preload. I'll post what I find to be the best for me.

Must be nice to get a new bike every year! How the heck do you guys do that? Must be rolling in the cash or something. I'm looking at another 2 years with my 2003. :cry:

Not rolling in cash, just have good credit. Turning a bike every year is easier than turning one every 2 years and the bank makes up the difference.

If you have a bike payment and your used to paying it, just sell the bike every year and buy a new one for the same monthly and it's fine. You just get used to it. Like rent or a mortgage.

Do you seel it privately? trade it in? I'm getting that your taking a loss on the bike to get a new one? Do you put money down? I figured when I bought a bike I was in it for the long haul....maybe not afterall.

Do you seel it privately? trade it in? I'm getting that your taking a loss on the bike to get a new one? Do you put money down? I figured when I bought a bike I was in it for the long haul....maybe not afterall.

Sell it. It's just like anything you buy new; when you sell it you will have a loss. As long as you're not backwards it works out.

Hmm. That sag difference is a good question. I just checked it again (after the break in ride) and the sag is sitting at 99mm now. I can't explain that one. I know I am right at 185 lbs, at least according to the scale at the gym - I don't feel any thinner :cry:

As far as the buy goes, I felt like the upgrade was worth the money to get the increase in performance of the new model, and to get out from under the 04 before it started to need work. The valves were still in spec, but for how much longer I found myself wondering...

Love your motorcycle it won't let you down,like other BOY TOYS :cry: :cry: :cry:

id love to sell my 03 and get an 05 if it truly handles so much better.. but i have more important things to pay for right now... has there been any more information regarding the rumoured fuel injection of the 06 model?