Trials ride at Salmon La Sac, 10/16 (pics)

Loynz, 2Ply and myself headed out to Salmon La Sac yesterday to play a bit on the trials bikes. What a hoot! It was wet all day, but we had a blast anyway. We left Curts house before nine, and rode until dark.

There are some great trails at Salmon La Sac, something for most anyone. Some of the trails though, most wouldn't enjoy. Not, that is, unless you like em super skinny on an insane sidehill with switchbacks too tight for comfort! The trials bike was just the ticket on some of these trails!

Here is one of the fun spots.

9983951-M.jpg

Here is a link to some more pictures. Video to follow...

Click HERE to see more!

OB, what trail is that picture of? Looks like fun.

Trail 1392, about five miles Northeast of Salmon la Sac campground.

Yep, I figured it out in the online maps today.. We were on the 1392 trail headed to the North Fork of the Teanaway River, then up the fabulously tight and narrow 1392.1 trail.

I didn't know it at the time and the GPS topo map didn't show it, but turns out we could have continued on to the 1393 trail and made a loop. But I had a ball going back down and then up the way we came! ? :cry:

Oh, and now that my neck is not stiff today, I'm ready to do it again!

Correct me if I am wrong gents, but the last picture there on your link, the old fallen down cabin. Is that located just off the main dirt rode while heading up to Fish Lake? About half way up and on your left side in a nice steep valley?

mx813

Correct me if I am wrong gents, but the last picture there on your link, the old fallen down cabin. Is that located just off the main dirt rode while heading up to Fish Lake? About half way up and on your left side in a nice steep valley?

I couldn't find Fish Lake on my map in the area we were riding. The cabin is about half-way up the 1392 trail on the left side as you head towards Gallagher Head Lake.

I couldn't find Fish Lake on my map in the area we were riding. The cabin is about half-way up the 1392 trail on the left side as you head towards Gallagher Head Lake.

Fish Lake is almost 4 miles further North up the main dirt road from where we turned off to park. When we were playing in the rocks just off trail on the way back, I took a GPS measurement of 1.94 miles as the crow flies back to our parking spot. I think we found the old cabin just before that, so going back to the Topo USA map, that would be pretty close to he following Coordinates if you care to look:

N47° 25.658'

W121° 0.982'

The map shows a hiking only trail close by that I don't remember seeing: #1392.7 This looks like it was used as a hunting shelter or something unless there is a road nearby that I didn't see. It didn't look to me that there had ever been a road there. ?

So Oldbones...when are you gonna have a trials bike of your very own to park in the garage? Looks like Curt is starting a little trials club. ? I'd love to see you guys play at Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks sometime.

Well, actually, we left home not knowing if we were going to end up at Funny / Moon Rocks or Salmon la Sac. We made the decision 1 mile before the exit.

Don't worry, these guys are NOT switching to Trials Only, just adding some cross-training to add a few more tricks to the ones they already know.. Look out! ??

I'd love to see you guys play at Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks sometime.

That was our other choice for destinations. We got near the Cle Elum exit and chose to try SLS instead. I might go up to the rocks this coming Saturday and give them a try on the trials bike.

Sometime between now and Spring is a good time to pick up a used one. The local guys into competition will be trying to buy new ones before next May. I think after Christmas is the time to start looking.

On the other hand, I don't want to keep 4 bikes. Three bikes gives me a chance to take 2 new people on an introduction ride and I have been offering rides to some of the Forest Service people, so it's good to have 2 extras.

So one of my bikes is ear-marked for sale. I have been holding out for people that will use the bike and possibly become a riding buddy from time to time.

My 97 Gas Gas 270 could be a good starter play bike. It's set up for a lighter person than me with a new high tech rear shock. Needs some detailing and some fresh tires but otherwise it's ready. I set it up for my Son but he hasn't used it for 2 years and it was only ridden once this Summer. Let's talk if and when you feel ready. ?