Sign in to follow this  

Changed my clickers settings "WoW"

Ok, y'all, I am no expert on motorcycles and I am just getting into them. I have a new DRZ and have done a couple of mods, but what do you mean by clickers? What are the clickers and how do I change them? 😢 The screw on top of to the fork springs is for rebound? I don't understand what y'all are talking about. Please help a newbie

very good read. I have been playing with my clickers since :pI got the bike. I dont think that I have them perfected yet thou. Any woods sugestions for a 155lb rider?

I believe the best approach, especially for a novice like myself is to get educated. I bought a DVD on suspensions. I watched it several times, and read all the links you guys shared with me. What I learned was that my 04 DRZ400S didnt come setup like the book claimed. Must have been a bad hair day at the shop. Mine was close on some settings, and way off on others. Only the high-speed setting was at fact. spec of 1.25 turns. I learned to first set the sag for my weight. Then, it's time to move to the tuning stage but if the sag isn't set close to where it should be based on the riders weight, etc. (mine arrived at ~120 mm and is now down to 95 mm). I set all my settings to the boks factory specs. I noticed a huge change in ridablity just altering the sag. Then after setting the comp & rebound of the forks to fact specs, and the shock to fact specs, I found it's a bit stiff for my terrain (mild hills, trails, mud, etc.) Now I'm looking to soften it a bit by making 2-click changes and recording the results. I take a ride, write down my observations, then take another ride it I made another change. Hope that helps.

I'm thinking my mission this winter is to learn how to tune my suspension. I think I'll try AndrewQs' method of turning the adjustment all the way out and feel the effect. Sounds like it will teach you to know what adjustments to make for different terrain by feel. That way you can dial it in for rocky climbs or deep sand or mud. We should post clicker positions for comparison. This is good stuff. I like this site. 😢

Oh, by the way (someone asked this earlier) The clicker is the little flathead screw on the top and bottom of your rear shock ('02 and later) and each front fork. I highly recommend getting the proper spring rate, setting the sag (mine is 3 3/4 inch w/o gear), THEN play with the clickers to see what you like. I have to remember to put a screwdriver in my backpack so I can fiddle with them on the trail.

Also, for deep sand (we got LOTS of it round here, coarse heavy stuff) I found that for high speeds sitting forward is the way to go, WAAAAY more control! Sitting back is for the low speed stuff. There are miles of trails around here with soft sand, and 6 foot high berms to bounce off of, can't ride those sitting back.

I don't know what my factory settings were, but, I suspect that they aren't "factory" settings anyway. The final assembly on these bikes is done at the dealer. Often by someone who really doesn't know what he is doing. They set the clickers I am sure. I also had loose spokes when I got mine. Plus, my brother took his to a dealer to have springs put in, they actually stripped the nut on top of the forks, because they forgot that you need to loosen the triple clamp first, SERIOUSLY! Be afraid, be VERY afraid!

😢