crf250f problems 04-05

A few friends of mine purchased 04 honda 250f's at the begining of the summer and all of them have toasted. They have all died of tranny problems or valve problems. Is the a new thing associated with hondas now or something? Supposedly you need to check your valves every 15 hours of riding and change your oil every ride. I change my oil every ride but every 2 rides yanking apart your motor seems kinda odd. Also if you powerwash your bike stay away from the seat. Water seeps through the red and rots out the foam. One friend - 3 seats in 1 season

I've also seen that once you tighten the rear axle, and back the chain tensioner against it, it'll push the axle back.

Between these problems my neighbor and his friends canceled their orders of the 05 honda. I've also heard that the suzuki's and kawi's are even worse. Seems as though the old rm250 2 stroke will provide for another season till the 06 yamaha comes out with the aluminum frame

Any input is appreciated

I have a 05' CRF250 and nothing that you have said has ever happened to my bike or my friends bike who has the 04' CRF250 except for the seat and the filter.But i think your friends did someting wrong to their bikes or something.

Sry if this doesnt help

Do you think the aluminum frame will make you go faster? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry::lol: :lol:

what happened to the trannys? do they know what they have to put oil in them?

I have 16 hours on my 05 ,still runs fine

I agree with you.

When these bikes run they're great.

Unfortunately my new CRF250R has provided me with less ride time than any of my old Yamaha's YZ's (two and four-strokes).

I really don't care what color bike I ride, I just want to ride.

This is the same crap we keep hearing. My '04 has over 60 hours and not a single problem. Maybe your friends have no clue how to maintain a bike? Tell them to buy a used XR200 and it should run great for them.

And yes "jcole", the aluminum frame does make me go faster. :cry:

3 SEATS IN ONE SEASON???? A severe case of crotch rot indeed! :cry:

A few friends of mine purchased 04 honda 250f's at the begining of the summer and all of them have toasted. They have all died of tranny problems or valve problems. Is the a new thing associated with hondas now or something? Supposedly you need to check your valves every 15 hours of riding and change your oil every ride. I change my oil every ride but every 2 rides yanking apart your motor seems kinda odd. Also if you powerwash your bike stay away from the seat. Water seeps through the red and rots out the foam. One friend - 3 seats in 1 season

I've also seen that once you tighten the rear axle, and back the chain tensioner against it, it'll push the axle back.

Between these problems my neighbor and his friends canceled their orders of the 05 honda. I've also heard that the suzuki's and kawi's are even worse. Seems as though the old rm250 2 stroke will provide for another season till the 06 yamaha comes out with the aluminum frame

Any input is appreciated

Sounds like the rider(s), not the bikes. :cry:

Input? Your friends either are abusing the bikes or do not know how to maintain one. :cry:

My bet is both :cry:

First of all it is not good to make your first post trashing honda.I had my bike since last november and 0 problems.not even a valve shim.How many friends is a few?.I cant stand second hand info,It is like the game telephone,You start out with saying green and end up with pink.Tell you friends to post and them maybe i will care.These bikes run great if you maintain them properly.It does take a little extra effort but worth it.When you come to a honda site and say bad things what do you expect.Sell the honda to someone who will give it a good home and some luv,and start walking.

dsheola - Props to you for your post!

I can relate with the issues you've been seeing. I've had problems with my Honda as many other riders have. I don't over-rev, I change my oil frequently and the air-filter is always clean.

For those others of you who have had no problems consider yourself lucky. About 1/3 of the CRF250's have problems. That's significant.

For those of you who are quick to post snippy replies about the problem being due to the owner / maintnance ... Please GO AWAY. If you can't be constructive, don't post.

What happened to the vaulves??? are they Bent? if they are its b/c they bump star there bikes all the 4 strokes can NOT be bump started. thats probly why it says in the manuall to check them

Hope this helps!

What happened to the vaulves??? are they Bent? if they are its b/c they bump star there bikes all the 4 strokes can NOT be bump started.

What in the world are you talking about?

all my friends maintain their bikes above and beyond the required so if you have something to say about that, dont. :cry: Next I'm not bashing hondas, i was curious if this a nation wide problem or if this was just a rare bunch. Also the aluminum frame yamaha wont make anyone go faster, i just dont like the feel of the yamaha and hopefully the new frame would provide a better feel with a very strong reliable motor.

My 04 CRF 250 is in the shop right now. There is clacking noise coming from the tranny. It all started one day I was riding and the back wheel just locked up. But the bike was still running (so it didn't blow up). It took a few min. to get the gear shifter unjambed to go into Nuetral. I drained the tranny fluid and found small chuncks of metal and plastic/ or rubber (not sure).

Haven't heard from the shop yet to see whats wrong with it. Probably gunna cost alot of money!

I've been a die hard KTM person for the last 20 years and I still love the bikes. I had a 400EXC in 02 and a 450EXC in 03 and decided to ride red. I purchased an 04 CRF 250R and it has renewed my fun factor in a dirt bike. You do have to check the valves and keep them adjusted but it is such an easy thing to do and it will save you a lot of problems later. It's unfortunate that you heard of tranny problems but this is the first I've heard of that problem. This bike comes with the best owner's manual I have ever seen. Sit down and read it and spend the time keeping this bike dialed in and in my opinion it will reward you greatly.