Is it too much to ask for a regular discount at your local store

In the age of the .com's where a person can buy almost anything by just typing www....., I decided to support my local motorcycle accessories by buying 90% of my stuff through them.

Well, lately I started to notice that I don't get discounts like before. They charge me full price all the time. Is it because they think I'm rich and loaded?

Is it too much to expect a "regular" discount since I'm loyal customer?

Should I just start ordering online? I really like to help my local stores, but this one is starting to annoy me.

By the way, I went to another local store to get a new Sidi Force boot that sells for $335 (both online and in the stores). To my surprise, the owner gave it to me for $285, and this was my 1st purchase from the store.

? :cry:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I have the SAME question and same issues in my area.. when i first started with the local store, I got discounts, without asking.. their like hey, you get 10% off.., but now a year or two later, I'm never offered a discount and I usually pay way more than online costs, I simply can't afford to throw money away, so I buy quickly needed items like plugs, levers, sometimes tires, etc, locally and everything else online. I don't ask for a discount, but often wondered if I should.

AMEN!

"What have you done for me lately"

I can't stand the stubborn high priced shops. If you can buy alum. polish at wal-mart for $4 why do I want to pay $8 at the shop. Ya, I'd like to give them business, but I am not stupid. That extra $4 can go towards a gallon of gas. This is just an example of what I have seen, but it goes for all parts as well. I only buy online, unless it is an emergency buy.

Just ask for a discount. I ask for discounts everywhere. Tell the guy at the shop that you are considering not shopping locally anymore becasue of better prices elsewhere... if that doesn't work then use the online. I try to shop in town but sometimes you just have to go online.

I print out the best price I can find on the net and take it in the shop. Tell them straight, I know you are trying to make money but I need you to beat this price or I have to buy it on-line. Tell them you want to support them but you work hard for your money too....

I print out the best price I can find on the net and take it in the shop. Tell them straight, I know you are trying to make money but I need you to beat this price or I have to buy it on-line. Tell them you want to support them but you work hard for your money too....

i do the same . but i dont ask them to beat it just come close if they get within 5$ or so ill buy from them.

Get this, I just bought a 04' WR450 this last Saturday from the local shop. I paid cash too. I then asked if I can receive a 10% discount for the next six months too. He looked at me and told me no because he is giving me such a good deal on the bike. I say screw him then, I will buy on line! ?

you should know dealers are usually out to bend you over. The only time I shop at dealers is for 2stroke oil, and thats if I need it tomorrow or whatever. I'll buy levers & oils, and apparel only. My local Honda shop is friendly, but they are pricey.

I like to support the local economy when I can.

My local shop gives you a discount if you shop there often, they have a deal that the more you buy there the bigger your discount gets, I think I may be maxxed out at 15% though. For big money items I ask my local shop if they can come close to others prices.

I get a discount at most local shops just for being a member of the local motorcycle clubs.

AND many times some of the shops will even give me INTERNET prices if I show them what im going to buy online and how much id save online.

J

When I go to a dealer I'm not familiar with I'll usually ask if they give AMA members a discount, even if they don't they'll usually give you a break just for asking.

When I bought my last bike I gave the dealer 6100.00 in hundred dollar bills. I then asked if they would give me some oil and a ratio cup for a discount, they made a big deal out of it and treated me like I was out of line by asking. I'm not saying I have any rights to a discount but you'd think when you spend that kind of money on a dirtbike they'd give a guy a break.

This is an interesting topic. I work in the scuba industry and can give you some input from that angle. The dive center I work for has been in business for 23 years. We cannot compete with online prices. Many of the major manufacturers limit the discount we can offer our clients. Most people don't believe this, but it's true. The limit is typically 10%. If we offer more than a 10% discount we risk losing our contract with them. This leads to shops that compete with service and reputation rather than price. We offer a 15% discount to current dive students and those students get a lifetime 10% discount after the class. Those that buy a full set of gear may be offered a discount or complimentary dive to test out their gear. Another intersting fact is that the major gear companies DO NOT sell their gear to online entities. In other words, if you see an item of gear from a major brand...the online store got that item from what we call the "grey market".

I have no idea if other industries work the same way...probably not. I do pay more for quality service. If a store treats me right I will buy stuff from them without even checking online. If they are a bunch of disorganized slackers, I will try to find another store or try online. Additional cost can be justified by exceptional customer service. Unfortunately, exceptional service is often rare.

I have no idea if other industries work the same way...probably not.

i don't think so. my local 'shop' has a 10% discount for club members, but they don't really stock much so it's not much help. there are shops (Thin Air in truckee, the reno ktm dealer) that have been so helpful and knowledgeable about stuff that i don't sweat paying retail. their prices are generally reasonable as far as i can tell anyway. on a big item, i have been known to tell them "well, it's $xxx online, i'd rather buy it here, can you get close to that?"

i was glad i did that on the fmf pipe i bought, cuz fmf sent them 3 straight defective pipes that didn't come close to fitting. it was nice to just hand it back to them and have them deal with fmf. i ended up getting a procircuit pipe that did fit finally, and didn't have to screw with shipping and stuff.

mw