Sign in to follow this  

110 Octane: Mix it or straight?

I picked up some 110 octane racing fuel while in Havasu visiting my dad. Should I run it straight in my '86 XL600R or should I mix it with pump gas?

You should poor it out on some weeds and go fill up with premium at the pump. You bike does not need that high of an octane fuel to prevent detonation and will only rob horsepower. No lie.

how much do you have? if you have enuf, do both. i've found that mixing race gas and pump gas (50/50)gives 90% of the performance of straight race gas.

FWIW - i know i'll get flamed for saying it, but if you're not running a high compression piston in that XR, try AvGas. my 85 XR600 loved AvGas (straight or mixed). it started easier, had better throttle response, and my butt-dyno seemed to think it added a bit of extra pull off idle. plus that, it take a very long time to go bad and it won't gel or varnish your carb(s).

jeremiah

You should poor it out on some weeds and go fill up with premium at the pump. You bike does not need that high of an octane fuel to prevent detonation and will only rob horsepower. No lie.

i guess you're right. my bikes don't run better/cleaner, start easier, jet easier or anything else on race gas. i guess i'm just a f_cking imbicile and you're g_dd_mn linus pauling. congratuf_ckinglations.

jeremiah

I picked up some 110 octane racing fuel while in Havasu visiting my dad. Should I run it straight in my '86 XL600R or should I mix it with pump gas?

There's a lot of different types of race gas. You need to provide more information as to what type of gas you have. Octane is to prevent detonation, higher octane doesn't help if you don't have detonation problems (pinging).

Some fuels like Avgas have a slower flame speed and will produce less power.

I often mix about a quart to a tank full in my YZ 426. That way if you happen to get a tank full of the cheap stuff (87), it will give you some protection. I also have a YZ 250 – 2 smoke that I run pure race fuel in. It made a very noticeable increase in power after I jetted and tuned the bike to run on it. But the downside of that is I can’t run pump gas in it unless detune it back to stock.