What's is the best and quietest muffler packing available?

Did a search and came up with nothing. I am finally re-packing my CRD and want to make it as quiet as possible. What should I get? Thanks. :cry:

Don't think you'll get too much help with that CRD

But... Do a search on Google for "Silent Sport" it's probably the best packing out there.

Rod

I have used the silent sport before. In the 2 stroke it soaked up the oil too fast. No prob since that is a 2 smoke. However I repacked my R4, ( like I could ever make that exhaust quiet ), and the 426 was blowing it out faster than I would have thought possible. :cry:

Been thinking about the FMF Premier multi-layer packing. It is spendy at almost 40 bucks but looks like it would last considerably longer.... Any reports involving this stuff. I have no problem giving the Silent sport another chance if that is truly the quietest option out there. Whatever is quietest is what I will get regardless of maintenance intervals. :cry:

I have some silent sport packing. now if i could only get the muffler open :cry: :cry:

I went through quite a learning curve when searching for a packing solution on my Ducati Monster cans. Nothing would last. I ended up doing a 2 stage solution. I got some stainless steel screen and wound a few layers of that around the baffle. That breaks up the strong exhaust pulses that tend to 'blow out' the packing. I then purchased so extremely high temp material designed for insulating pottery kilns. I spent maybe $100 for everything but I have enough stuff now to last a life time. And at the rate it's lasting in my Ducati, I may not have to repack those cans for years. It's been a year already and my CF cans still are not heating up and the sound is still under control. Last check showed no degredation at all in the wool packing.

If you look at how the highend exhaust are built, they all go with a 2 stage system like that then provide a life time guarantee. I believe it works great. Just my .02. You have to make sure the screen is genuine stainless steel, not aluminum like most metal screening. Then do a search for superwool on the net to find a source. I bought all my stuff off the net but did not save where I purchased. If you and a buddy go together you'll have enough for both of you for many years and bring the cost down.

I went through quite a learning curve when searching for a packing solution on my Ducati Monster cans. Nothing would last. I ended up doing a 2 stage solution. I got some stainless steel screen and wound a few layers of that around the baffle. That breaks up the strong exhaust pulses that tend to 'blow out' the packing. I then purchased so extremely high temp material designed for insulating pottery kilns. I spent maybe $100 for everything but I have enough stuff now to last a life time. And at the rate it's lasting in my Ducati, I may not have to repack those cans for years. It's been a year already and my CF cans still are not heating up and the sound is still under control. Last check showed no degredation at all in the wool packing.

If you look at how the highend exhaust are built, they all go with a 2 stage system like that then provide a life time guarantee. I believe it works great. Just my .02. You have to make sure the screen is genuine stainless steel, not aluminum like most metal screening. Then do a search for superwool on the net to find a source. I bought all my stuff off the net but did not save where I purchased. If you and a buddy go together you'll have enough for both of you for many years and bring the cost down.

That is the exact stuff I was asking about earlier in this post. FMF calls it the premier multi layer packing. However, what I want to know is whether it is as quiet as the silent sport packing.

x_packing.jpg