Lazy man's cure for armpump

I have always struggled with armpump for as long as I have been riding..3 years. I have never stopped riding because I was too tired but rather because I could not feel my hands anymore. I have tried almost everything including running 3 miles a day.

I picked up on this new exercise that has pretty much eliminated armpump for me. Its turning anything (pipe, weight, broom handle) using your hands. Just hold your item of choice out in front of you and roll it over and over with both hands until you can't do it anymore. You will most likely feel it on the top of your forearm. Only need 1 set. If this becomes too easy try using a heavier item or attach a weight with a string to it and roll the weight up the the bar and then back down.

I have had 3 rides with this technique. The last ride was at a track that caused me armpump in 2-3 laps guaranteed. I avoided going to the track for this reason. Huge braking bumps combined with huge jumps and high speeds just pummeled my forearms til I couldn't hold on. This time my skin wore out before my forearm muscles. Got blood blisters on my hands from riding so much! Also, for those of you suffer from hand/finger cramps instead of actual forearm pump (like me), this solved that too.

And the good news for the lazy folks is I have not done anything cardio wise during this time. I have never been as sore as I am now cause I could never ride long enuff to get sore in the past.

Give it a try. Its easy and there's nothing to lose.

THANK YOU!!!

i doubt this works at the pro level of riding.

thats why the title is Lazy man's cure! I doubt doing nothing but this exercise will help any pro. Especially no cardio. . It was only meant to help weekend warriors ride longer.

I do believe a more intense workout using this method will help a pro though. Perhaps using weights to make it more difficult. It increases forearm endurance. Try it for at least a week before you throw it out completely. I would especially like to know if it works for others as I am not a physical trainer.

back in my karate days I would tie some weights to the string and then roll them up and roll them back down. It will give you popeye forearms in no time flat.

Try starting out with a light weight though rolling 10 pounds is a biatch at first. :cry:

So does this work really good?

I will give that a try.

What has been helping me is concentrating on hanging on to the bike with my ankles and knees instead of my hands. This is definately easier said than done, for me at least. But I am trying.

thats why the title is Lazy man's cure! I doubt doing nothing but this exercise will help any pro. Especially no cardio. . It was only meant to help weekend warriors ride longer.

I do believe a more intense workout using this method will help a pro though. Perhaps using weights to make it more difficult. It increases forearm endurance. Try it for at least a week before you throw it out completely. I would especially like to know if it works for others as I am not a physical trainer.

but i wanna be pro, and im almost there.

When using weights, it will absolutely beef up your forearms, hands and shoulders.

Your about the rudest and most stuck up rider on these fourms... I've been reading posts for 5 min, and your name comes up with rude comments everwhere :cry:

but i wanna be pro, and im almost there.

So give it a try! What do you got to lose?

This is a pretty simple exercise. I have been using a round tube of cardboard (less than 1 lb) and have managed at best 1 min of continuous rolling. And the improvements in riding where crazy for me.

A tip for those who try it: go easy first couple times. Your forearms will be cramped up for a couple min.s afterwards so don't overdue it right away. You don't feel the cramping while your doing the exercise.

I did this for 4 days the first week, M-Thurs. and rested my arms on friday. I did only 1 set of continuous rolling for 1 min only. I rode back to back days which I could never do because of finger cramps. I rode hard both days and doubled the amount of laps I was able to do in a row. This is after only 4 days.

Let me know how it goes for those who choose to try it.

I use one of those cheap gripper exercisers from Wal-Mart. They're great while watching TV, or driving, or whatever you can do with one hand. You will notice a huge difference.

I have always struggled with armpump for as long as I have been riding..3 years. I have never stopped riding because I was too tired but rather because I could not feel my hands anymore. I have tried almost everything including running 3 miles a day.

I picked up on this new exercise that has pretty much eliminated armpump for me. Its turning anything (pipe, weight, broom handle) using your hands. Just hold your item of choice out in front of you and roll it over and over with both hands until you can't do it anymore. You will most likely feel it on the top of your forearm. Only need 1 set. If this becomes too easy try using a heavier item or attach a weight with a string to it and roll the weight up the the bar and then back down.

I have had 3 rides with this technique. The last ride was at a track that caused me armpump in 2-3 laps guaranteed. I avoided going to the track for this reason. Huge braking bumps combined with huge jumps and high speeds just pummeled my forearms til I couldn't hold on. This time my skin wore out before my forearm muscles. Got blood blisters on my hands from riding so much! Also, for those of you suffer from hand/finger cramps instead of actual forearm pump (like me), this solved that too.

And the good news for the lazy folks is I have not done anything cardio wise during this time. I have never been as sore as I am now cause I could never ride long enuff to get sore in the past.

I used to do the same thing back in high school and college when working out every day. It is a AWESOME forearm builder (Take a note skinny armed teenagers). One of the other things we did was to make sure the bottom of your forearms were resting on a ledge or something. That way it is directly exercising your forearms. Just standing there you will rock and use up and down motions. Also keep in mind when exercising it's always this rule. Low reps & high weight (working out till failure) = bulk building. High reps and low weight (working out to get extreme burning sensation)= toning and endurance (which is needed for arm pump). :cry:

When using weights, it will absolutely beef up your forearms, hands and shoulders.

Won't beefing up your forearms make arm pump worse :cry:

Not gettin sumthin here. I'll try it out in wieghtlifting class next week

there are many exercises known to fix arm pump. mine is those who like to ride: Ride, a lot. at least 2-3 times a week for good amounts of time. If that doesnt help, start running too. But good training such as running for over 30 min and so on combined with riding 2-3 times a week is your best bet. i know my dad would rather do yamaha's work out tho :cry:

Your body simply fills them with blood to try and feed them oxygen because they run out of energy too fast from the lack of conditioning.

It's no different from running. When you first start your lungs cant absorb the oxygen and rid the waste that well and you start gasping. After decent training and conditioning your lungs become much more efficient at the job and you no longer run out of steam in 50 feet.

I learned this exercise back in the 70's reading Brad Lackey's book Motocross Training & Technique's 12 to 18 in. pipe, rope tied in center, 3 lb. weight tied on other end all most touching floor, I keep one in the house, one in the garage :cry:

I'm sure there are no new exercises out there. Just rediscovering old techniques...

So did it work for you?

Be sure to consider that repetitive motions such as these exercises have a potential to result in injury if you do them long enough. I used to water ski race and for years used hand exercisers (the kind with springs that you squeeze)on a daily basis. It worked great for grip strength and eliminating arm pump but ended up causing carpal tunnel in both wrists which will require surgery when I am willing to take the time off from riding etc. to do it. Talk about numb hands!!!

Yes, repetitive motion injuries should always be considered. Typing, riding MC's, push-ups, etc can cause them too, so remember to stretch and take breaks between "sets". Never do any exercise, hard work, or hard play on a daily basis for long periods of time! Your body needs a break to heal & gain strength. If you take these precautions, you will minimize the injury potential, BUT everyone is designed to wear out, and if you have enough birthdays, things will wear out, gauranteed.