Cleaning up a cylinder after seizing

My son's Honda CR80 seized last weekend. I removed the top end and the cylinder walls on opposite sides have a very slight build of aluminum from the scraped up piston. Can the cylinder be repaired or is it better to buy a new cylinder? The repair manual talked about the special plating on the cylinder wall that can't be bored unless a sleve is installed. Will honing remove the aliminum buildup?

You can try honing but the cyl may not last as long. The best option is to resleeve.

I blew my KX80 up once, had the ring break. The cylinder plating needs to be replated or replaced. I'd suggest www.lukesracing.com , he has good prices. If you need it in a hurry, replace the cylinder. Why did it seize?

I am not sure if it will work on the plated cylinder, but I have done this on my Jetskis in the past. When the piston stuck without much damage to the wall of the cylinder, you can use muratic acid to acid wash the walls of the cylinder. The acid eats alumium, but won't harm steel. It will remove all of the aluminum that is stuck to the cylinder walls. This is tricky to do because the outside of the cylinder is made of aluminum to. You can't just dunk it in a bucket of acid...you would have nothing left but a sleeve..haaa. It takes patience, but if you are like i was when I was jetski racing....Big dreams and low budget....it can save a little money and be a quick patch.

God luck...I wouldn't try it until someone can say if the acid wold harm the nikasil coating or not.

We were riding at El Mirage Dry Lake here in Southern California and I think my son was holding the throttle wide open a little too long. He left about a 20' skid mark on the dry lake bed behind his bike. We did notice his right boot was wet with antifreeze. I don't know if he lost cooling fluid then the engine over heated or if the bike over headed which caused the cooling fluid spray out. I'm also going to pressure test the cooling system when I put everything back to gether to try and figure out how the cooling fluid got out of the bike. The head and base gaskets didn't show any signs of leaking.

The interesting thing is when I drained the anti-freeze, there was only about a 1/16 cup of fluid that came out. So I do need to figure out where all the cooling fluid went and how it exited.

did you stretch the top end past rebuild time? If not then it seized because of the coolant leak. Perhaps something flew into the rad (like roost) and punctured it?

Muriatic acid will remove the aluminum from the plating without hurting the plating....

I just found a procedure for cleaning aluminum off the cylinder walls using muriatic acid. I'll try it out tonight and see how it works. I'll post the procedure below for anyone else that stumbles upon this thread.

Tom

#####

The esiest way to remove aluminum from the wall of a nikasil

plated cylinder is with muriatic acid. I believe muriatic acid is just diluted hydrocloric acid (HCl). You can get it at most any good hardware store or swimming pool supply store. Muriatic acid is used to clean lime deposits

in swimming pools, etc. It is commonly available and only costs a few dollars per quart. A quart is roughly a lifetime supply. CAVEAT: be very careful! The acid eats aluminum very quickly! You must be very cautious when using it near cylinder ports...it can eat the aluminum at the edges of the ports. It can also eat aluminum through any nicks or holes in the plating. I usually use a cotton tipped swap to apply the acid precisely where I want it on the nikasil liner. If it causes bubbles, then it is eating aluminum from the surface of the nikasil. I leave it on for about 20 seconds and then wipe off thouroughly. I usually repeat the process two or three times to be sure I have removed all of the aluminum from the plated cylinder wall. Then I rinse the cylinder *very* thouroughly with water to make sure there is no remaining acid. Then drench the cylinder in WD-40. Then a little work with a scotchbrite pad. Then a final cleaning and ... viola! Ready for assembly - good as new.

I don't get it.......If you knew how to fix it....why did you ask??

muriatic acid is ruff [@#$%&*!]. my dad uses it when he cleans our water system, the pipes get loaded up with calcium and man, i took a wiff of that stuff and my throat was gone lol. dont inhale it!

When I first asked the question I was clueless. After reading the answers I searched the web and found a procedure that somebody else wrote. I just posted it for the benefit of everyone else that stumbles onto this thread.