OT: Head injury...

I'm sure lot's of you guys have hit your heads (hard) on crashes. Does it sometimes ache for a couple days - kinda like a muscle ache? I got my bell rung on Saturday. I'm not in much pain, but my head does ache a bit from time to time just enough to know that I did something. Is that to be expected?

Yep.

BTW, any time you sustain a head injury, it's a good idea to see a doctor

Yep.

BTW, any time you sustain a head injury, it's a good idea to see a doctor

I agree with Kevin, shifter. If it hurts the next day, I'd see my doc.

BTW, I've mentioned this in other threads about head injuries, but I'll repeat it anyway (since you probably don't remember it after getting your bell rung). If you start feeling nauseous, that can be a sign of internal bleeding in your skull. That should trigger a quick trip to the doc (somebody else driving). Also, if your pupils dilate or are uneven or unresponsive to light, that is also a sign of bleeding in your skull. Pupil problems and a headache deserve a 911 call. This bleeding can develop up to a couple days after the head injury, so keep checking your eyes a couple times a day for a couple days. You can just use a small flashlight in the mirror to check them.

Or just go see the dang doc! Hope you heal up soon. -Mike- :cry:

How can YOU tell if your heads screwed up? :cry:

Maybe that hat's too tight. :cry:

Really though, if you have any doubt go see a doctor.

I was at the track a few minutes ago and a guy overshot the berm and went down an embankment into a tree. He walked away but doesn't remember the crash at all. He definately had a concussion because he kept asking the same questions over and over.

Yeah... starting to feel like crap now; heading out in a moment to the doc. I don't mind a cut or broken bone 'cause you know what's wrong. It's the internal stuff that I don't like. :cry: The sad thing is that it wasn't that dramatic an incident - just a first-lap folly.

Thank goodness for helmets. :cry:

Yeah... starting to feel like crap now; heading out in a moment to the doc. I don't mind a cut or broken bone 'cause you know what's wrong. It's the internal stuff that I don't like. :cry: The sad thing is that it wasn't that dramatic an incident - just a first-lap folly.

Thank goodness for helmets. :cry:

I knocked myself out cold racing BMX a few years ago. When I came to I knew my name and where I was but not who was president. Pupils were equal and reactive but I got checked out anyway. I had headaches for about 2 weeks. Like everyone else said, be on the lookout for any dizziness or nausea.

Shifter, I hope your ok. Which track did you crash at???

Well the doc said that with all apparent mental issues aside, my head/eyes/etcetera seem fine. The headache is going away too. :cry:

RCannon: I was @ the Jordan River OHV.

I have had 3 concussions in the last 6 years and they keep getting worse, the first was bad headach and not remembering for about a half an hour, and the second I could not remember for two days, and the last one I was lost for a week. I went to the hospital for all of them. The doctor said that I can not suffer to many more without permanat brain damage, so I sold my Suzuki rm250. The reason I sold it was I caught neutrals on the faces of jumps which put me on my head! that bike was notorious for catching neutral. Since I went to Yamaha I have never had this problem! :cry:

Hey Guys, I'm an Emergency Physician in Denver and here's the scoop on head injuries. If you get knocked out or loose consiousness, you need a CT (cat scan) of your brain to make sure you don't have any bleeding or bruising in your brain. Go to the nearest emergency room immediately. If you get your bell rung without loss of consciousness, you don't necessarily need to see your doctor, but you do need to take it easy for a week after you have no symptoms. It's normal/expected to have blurred vision, nausea/vomiting, irritablilty, sleep disturbance and headache for a week or two. That's a concussion. Once again, current recommendations for return to sports after concussion is one week of a symptom free period. It's worse to have a second concussion while you're recovering from the first. So take it easy, and have fun.

Cheers, Barry

BTW.......I'm about to buy an '05 CRF450....what's a good price? Don't want to use motorcycle-brokers, heard too many horror stories about waiting months for a bike.

OH, one more thing on the eye exam/pupil response. You will only get unequal pupils right before you die so don't bother going to the doctor, it's too late. It's called epidural hematoma. I just saw a guy with one last night in the ER. He was in the back of a pick-up holding down a mattress on the highway. Well the mattress caught some wind and he got ejected.....not good. He got a big operation and we'll see how he does. Plus about half of us always have unequal pupils (anisicoria). So I tell people not to bother looking at the pupils but go to the ER if he's not acting right......

You will only get unequal pupils right before you die so don't bother going to the doctor, it's too late.

Wow, welcome to TT, Barry! Great to have you aboard. I can see the ER doc humor in you! :cry:

Here's the ironic part: even though it happened on the first lap, it happened over the table that I'm learing to "scrub" speed - I guess I scrubbed so much speed, that I stopped.

I had a pretty bad concussion a few years ago, got to the hospital around 4 in the afternoon, and dont remember a thing until about 2 p.m. the next day, helmet broken in 3 places, 4 ribs and a collarbone to boot, guess thats what happens when your bike lands on your head!!! I still dont remember much of that day, most of it is kind of gray still. But I had 3 cat-scans just to make sure the internal problems were going away, and the neurologist(sp) I went to had a pretty good sense of humor, he said I would have CRS (cant remember sheeoot) for about 6-8 months from that type of trama. he was right, I would be doing something at work, and totally blank out about what and why I was doing, it was weird. Im back to normal now, at least thats what my doctors tell me :cry: :cry:.

In the hospital the DR was giving me questions to see where I was at, his first one was "do you know what day it is?, I said "sure Doc, its the day after yesterday"... Which I thought was a pretty damn good answer, needless to say he wasnt impressed....... :cry:

I cleaned my own clock 8-17 (the last day VMC was open). I didnt remmeber hitting the ground or the immediate following hour for about a month, but eventually everything came back.

Only lingering malady is my neck. Neck is still bugging me on a daliy basis. :cry:

I must have left before the accident happened. I thought I recognized your bike. I was the idiot with the right arm in a cast...

Did you want me to stop by and pick up the 100.00 I loaned you????

:cry: :cry:

:cry: :cry:

You know... I didn't get that until I saw your post Fred! To both of you: :cry:

:lol::cry: :cry: