Oil filters

I seen a post on oil filter and tried the search but can't find it. :cry: Can someone please direct me to a place that might sell OEM or GOOD after market oil filters for a 04' WR450? To be honest I don't even know what they cost at the dealer but I heard they are a total rip off. Any help would be great!!! :cry:

thumpertalk has em. Brian or Bryan got me oil filters for my rmz 250 for like 3 bucks when the shop was asking for $12.

There is a guy that sell the HiFlo on Ebay I think it is 5 filters for $20 or real close to that and then you can order online from Cyclegear.com for the same price or there abouts.

I seen a post on oil filter and tried the search but can't find it. :cry: Can someone please direct me to a place that might sell OEM or GOOD after market oil filters for a 04' WR450? To be honest I don't even know what they cost at the dealer but I heard they are a total rip off. Any help would be great!!! :cry:

WR/YZ450 03-04 (HifloFiltro)

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=hf141

YZ/WR450 (03-04) K&N Gold

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KN-141

Is the K&N better for almost 2x the money? Considering you can change your filter 2X for every one of the K&N, I'd say no. :cry:

Thanks! That is what I was looking for! :cry:

The K&N are made by Hiflo, but cost way more. It would be dumb to run K&N.

I use the Scots Stainless steel filter in my YZ 250F. I like it because you only have to buy one filter ever, and just clean it when you change your oil.

WR/YZ450 03-04 (HifloFiltro)

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=hf141

YZ/WR450 (03-04) K&N Gold

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KN-141

Is the K&N better for almost 2x the money? Considering you can change your filter 2X for every one of the K&N, I'd say no. :cry:

Bryan: What's your take on the Scotts reusable? Any downside-- besides the fact that it'll stop us from purchasing multiple filters from you? :cry:

Good question! :cry:

I don't use one, so I can vouch for their filtration properties. I'd like some Scotts users to comment on this please. Here is the description from Scotts:

this filter provides 200% more filter area in many cases. Most good paper filters will pass particles in the 90 to 95 micron range, and some tested, as much as 300 microns. Sand is about 125 microns and a white blood cell approximately 25 microns. Our stainless filter catches items down to 35 microns "absolute", which is about 3 times better than most good paper or brass filters. The pleat seam is welded, able to withstand up to 600 degrees in our filter, not glued, like paper filters.

In terms of value, take $62.96 (our price) and divide that by 4 bucks (cover of a typical aftermarket filter). That's the number of oil changes you'll have to make in order for the Scotts to pay off. Not too many for anyone who rides a lot or plans on keeping their machine for a while. :cry:

Here is a good link to info someone posted in the DRZ forum

earlier this month. They talk about the stainless filters.

Would be interesting to hear what Scott's thinks about this research.

They mention the filters costing $120, but if TT is only $60 then

it makes part of the argument on their site moot.

Also keep in mind, I think this is a street riders perspective.

I would never go 8000 miles on a filter like he mentions. Even

in a street bike I think I would change it with every oil change...

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

Below is a short section I pulled out:

"There's a new type of filter being marketed, the "laser cut stainless steel filter," which we're told is "good for the life of your vehicle."

These filters typically have 35-40 micron holes, which is really not acceptable. They typically have 30-40 square inches of filter material, which is really not acceptable. A paper based element is a 3 dimensional filter - when a particle gets stuck deep in the filter element, oil can still flow around it. The stainless steel elements are 2 dimensional - when a particle gets caught, one of the holes is clogged up.

I don't see how you can assure that all the holes get cleared out when you clean these. Certainly simply soaking the filter in kerosene is not going to release particles that have been jammed into a hole at 60psi. Blowing the filter out with air sounds good, but a motorcycle filter is too small to let an air hose inside.

These stainless steel filters cost about $120, about 25 times what I pay for a Pure One. Since I use my filters for about 8,000 miles, that means I have to go 200,000 miles to break even. I've never put more than 60,000 miles on a vehicle.

I don't think this technology is ready to use yet. When the holes get down to 20 microns, and the surface area up to about 100-150 square inches, then I think I'll consider using one. Meanwhile, "good for the life of your vehicle" is not an impressive claim if the device shortens the life of your vehicle. "

I just bought one from the TT store for my 04WR450, won't get it til later this week I'll let you know in about 3wks or so. I change my oil every 150-200 miles or whenever the shifting feels notchy. I ride usually 2 times a week for at least 25+ miles each time.

I use the Scots Stainless steel filter in my YZ 250F. I like it because you only have to buy one filter ever, and just clean it when you change your oil.

Yep next thing we are gonan buy for my bike.

The way I look at it is I'm going to be keeping my bike for a long time, and SS oil filters filter better. I think I'm going to order one and on the next oil change it's goin in. :cry:

Do we know of any [bike] manufacturers that are including the scotts filter as a stock item? I don't care if it's dirt or street-- does anyone know? Do we know if any manufacturers are "certifying" the filter as appropriate (if certification is even something that takes place)?

I'm tempted to say that the manufacturers (regardless of scotts performance/quality) really can't afford to back an item like that because it hurts so many other paper filter company's production levels. I could be wrong.

I think considering I can get the paper ones online inexpensively from TT, I'm going to go that way until I start hearing people screaming that scotts is the way to go.

Brad

I think the OEMs don't use the Scotts filters because they have to be thoroughly cleaned by the owner. Too much potential for the engine to be ruined by a dufus, compared to throwing away a paper filter and starting fresh.

Yep next thing we are gonan buy for my bike.

Me to. Oil filters are friggin expensive here... 20 bux for a filter :cry: