The subject is valves. Was a Honda CRFx post

have you guys been reading the 250X forum..those guys are dying over there with valve problems and replacements.......I know two 250X owners who hate their new Hondas...........wow did Honda blow it or what?

I understood that they had major valve problems with both there 250s as well as there 450s. They run extremely well when they run but side toward the unreliable side. :cry:

Everyone asked for high performance 4 strokes, well Honda gave them high performance 4 strokes. High performance=High Maintenance. If you think for 1 minute that the Suzuki or Yamaha 4 strokes are any less maintenance than the Honda you will learn a hard lesson. I love my Honda and have not put a ton of hours on it, but when it's time to put new valves in I will. Simple as that!! :cry:

Everyone asked for high performance 4 strokes, well Honda gave them high performance 4 strokes. High performance=High Maintenance. If you think for 1 minute that the Suzuki or Yamaha 4 strokes are any less maintenance than the Honda you will learn a hard lesson. I love my Honda and have not put a ton of hours on it, but when it's time to put new valves in I will. Simple as that!! :cry:

That's funny, I can't remember the last time I heard any of the DRZ guys or WR guys or YZ guys complaining about valve jobs after riding their new $6000 bikes for 10 hrs. :cry:

Well said, the extreme cams and short cylinders running at high rpms is going to cause things to go out of spec, its a matter of constantly checking clearances and doing the necessary upkeep, rmz 450 will have similar issues!

How come we rarely hear about valve problems with the RMZ250/KX250F or the YZ250/450F? These too are high performance engines by anyone's standards.

Are they more reliable, or is there just some Honda bashing going on? :cry:

(I'm glad I bought a DRZ. I don't have time for constant maintenance - but I don't race either - just my own situation.)

That's funny, I can't remember the last time I heard any of the DRZ guys or WR guys or YZ guys complaining about valve jobs after riding their new $6000 bikes for 10 hrs.

I said high performance. DRZ's WR's are really a dependable units not high performance race bikes. You don't see YZ guys complaining so much because they have accepted valve maintenance. :cry:

So when it comes down to it, you may as well have just stuck to a two stroke! That way you could constanly change the piston and rings, and perhaps a crank once a year! I thought four strokes required less maintence and that was a upside to the purchase besides eliminating smelly smoke? As it stands I know guys running the YZ450f's and the YZ250f's and they have never had to replace valves! Sounds to me like your Honda has some issues and they need to be addressed! Coming on our forum and defending a faulty product does no one any good, You should contact honda and find out exactly when the valves should need replaced.I doubt that they are gonna say every ten hours!As for the honda 250, I rode one for the first time yesterday ! My friend just got one brand new and oh my god is it sweet! It really sucks that they have these problems cause the bike is awesome. I don't think I have the heart to tell him about all of this, I will let him ride like he always does and see what he comes up with :cry:

Coming on our forum and defending a faulty product does no one any good, You should contact honda and find out exactly when the valves should need replaced.

Coming on our forum and defending a faulty product???? Do you own and ride one?? Because I do and I love this bike. I will know when my valves need to be replaced, I really don't need to call Honda or anyone else for that matter. :lol:

My point is, IT IS NOT A FAULTY product. My Honda runs fine and so does most of the Hondas that I know about. Its a high performance motor. HELLO HELLO!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

The guys with yamahas that don't do proper maintenance IE valve shims when needed etc, will end up needing alot more than valves my friend. I have seen many YZ250F Yamahas that the top end is completely wiped out to the point where new a cyl and head had to be purchased.

Thumpers like the DRZ will be alot more maintenance free than a high revving perfomance 4 stroke like the Honda. You buy what you want. I love my Suzuki and my Honda for different reasons.

I do feel like alot of the neg info about the Hondas have been posted by Yamaha people that are still so angry that the Honda is a better bike. :cry:

That's funny, I can't remember the last time I heard any of the DRZ guys or WR guys or YZ guys complaining about valve jobs after riding their new $6000 bikes for 10 hrs.

I said high performance. DRZ's WR's are really a dependable units not high performance race bikes. You don't see YZ guys complaining so much because they have accepted valve maintenance. :cry:

I agree with you somewhat on the DRZ argument, however, the YZ and the WR share nearly identical components-setup differences really regarding valves. The WR engine is as performance bread as the YZ. And I don't think its a matter of "accepting" maintenance.

I have rode the WR and the YZ they are VERY different. Have you rode or owned a Honda and had problems? :cry: My Honda runs great with no oil burning or valve issues. So all you guys really have to go on is what your reading on TT????? I wish I could beleive everything I read, but I don't!! :cry:

I agree with you somewhat on the DRZ argument, however, the YZ and the WR share nearly identical components-setup differences really regarding valves. The WR engine is as performance bread as the YZ. And I don't think its a matter of "accepting" maintenance.

Not quite, the wr has mellower cams that helps valves live longer than on a yz. Both are great bikes wr is more trail oriented and so the power has been eased and as a result wr's valves last longer, I do think out of the high performance bikes yamaha is less trouble than honda, but it all depends on who is riding the bike and more important who is maintaining the bike. :cry:

So what your saying is that your valves on your fourstoke are similar to a piston in a two stroke??? You kind of get a feel for when they need tore down and checked out??? No need to get all upset and worked up! I was only making an observation! I know some guys that run the 450 hondas and they swear by them! They have to change their oil every single day but they still love them! My thought is, if lots of guys are having the same troubles then their must be a problem! It's basic logic! :cry:

My thought is, if lots of guys are having the same troubles then their must be a problem! It's basic logic!

Exactly......and at that I remember our #1 on site mechanic Burned said that the new hondas were keeping him with plenty of work to do with all the valve problems :cry:

I have rode the WR and the YZ they are VERY different. Have you rode or owned a Honda and had problems? :cry: My Honda runs great with no oil burning or valve issues. So all you guys really have to go on is what your reading on TT????? I wish I could beleive everything I read, but I don't!! :cry:

I'm glad you've ridden both. However, the YZ and the WR share the same motor. Yes, the timing is different. And yes, the tranny is different. However, most everything else is the same. Once you do the free mods (which most do) you have virtually the same engine.

Do I have to own a Honda to know that the 450's and the 250's (4-stroke) have valve issues? Absolutely not.

Not quite, the wr has mellower cams that helps valves live longer than on a yz. Both are great bikes wr is more trail oriented and so the power has been eased and as a result wr's valves last longer, I do think out of the high performance bikes yamaha is less trouble than honda, but it all depends on who is riding the bike and more important who is maintaining the bike. :cry:

In theory, the WR cams are just designed to make more power down low. The YZ cams for power up high. Furthermore, a lot of people with 98-02 models can advance timing to YZ spec (or close). I still don't hear many complaints of valve problems with WR's or YZ's.

Mr. 1999 WR400

Do you personaly know alot of guys having problems with CRF250's or the 250X??? Or is it what you read on the internet.

The CRF250 and 250x are awesome bikes that are light and fast. If you buy one thinking that your just going to ride and ride and ride with no maintenace like a DRZ or your old faithful WR400 your wrong.

This type of post that bigbob started really dosn't get me worked up at all. My problem is people making assumptions about how good or bad a bike is without truly knowing what they are talking about. :cry:

HZRDOS,

Burned owns a CRF450 that he has a young guy in his area race. Do you think he would own a Honda if he thought it was a POS??? I think not. :cry:

By the way, I have not seen any Yamahas win any 250/450 nationals in the last 2 years, have you guys???

Many more problems with the Hondas than the Yamahas , just browse the forums. I think it is a first year problem to some extent but I wonder how the 450x, which has the same basic motor as the 450r, will do. It probably has a less radical cam in it causing less stress on the valve train. You want a 4 stroke that turns 12000 rpms you pays the price !

Mr. 1999 WR400

Do you personaly know alot of guys having problems with CRF250's or the 250X??? Or is it what you read on the internet.

No, only 1 person. No problems yet. Just what I read here

The CRF250 and 250x are awesome bikes that are light and fast.

Light and Fast are relative terms, don't you think?

If you buy one thinking that your just going to ride and ride and ride with no maintenace like a DRZ or your old faithful WR400 your wrong.

Ride and Ride, no. Ride more than 5 hours without valve maintenance, yes

This type of post that bigbob started really dosn't get me worked up at all. My problem is people making assumptions about how good or bad a bike is without truly knowing what they are talking about. :cry:

So, you made your assumptions about the Honda based upon what? You got to spend a significant amount of time on the bike before you bought it? If so, that's great. Most don't have that option. So, we rely on what we hear from those we trust.

Nice pile of quotes, as I thought, you know one person with no problems. I know several with no problems and get tired of people assuming there is a problem. :cry:

Don't always beleive what you read on the internet even here on TT. :cry: