Honda's new X bikes - Race bikes with lights

has anyone been reading the CRFx forum. those guys are dying with valve problems. I know two 250X owners who hate their new Hondas............. whatever happen to HONDA reliability. Don't tell me performance. Performance crap what good is it if the bike is broke all the time?

I was looking forward to that new 450x not no more.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you heard the expression that says:

If someone is dissatisfied, they will tell at least 10 people, if they're satisfied, they may tell one.

That's the way it is in the restaurant business, and I think the same applies here. The ones with problems are just very vocal about it. If you read into it, though, you will see that it's not just limited to the Hondas, but other bikes with titanium valves as well (Yamaha, KTM, I think).

In fact, some say it's a combination between the ti valves, and a carburator that allows fine dust to come in after the air filter.

Everyone is always looking to disparage a company's name. I think it is unfair.

How many thousands of x's have been sold, and had no problems at all? Give me the number of good vs. bad bikes (real numbers, not word of mouth), and I think you'll have a different opinion about Honda.

And one other thing...

If you want ol' reliable with minimal maintenance, get an XR. Bullet-proof but old-school. Always gets you there, but not 1st.

If you want the most advanced off-road *competition* bike, be prepared to do a little maintenance. And enjoy the heck out of it, because it's so much more fun to ride.

I've talked to a couple of Honda service managers, neither of which have seen any valve problems that were out of the ordinary. Only one hard-core CRF450 racer that I know of has had problems.

Jury is still out on my bike, I haven't put that many miles on it. But, since I'm meticulous about maintenance, I doubt I will have any issues.

I got my X in June, and I've racked up many, many miles. It's been absolutely brilliant and a real laugh to ride.

I too am meticulous about maintenance and I've not had any trouble. Sure, my old Xr was almost maintenance free, but you just cannot compare the two bikes. Anyway, I love tinkering with my bike, and bike care & maintenance is all part of the trail riding hobby. ?

A local Honda mechanic sent out a bulletin to our club.

Basically he stated that people were maintaining CRF's like XR's. He said that you MUST check and adjust the valves according to Honda's manual. If you let the adjustment slide, valves in need of adjustment may start burning up. A lack of maintenance could be the problem.

And you laugh at our low tech "Wash and wear" XR's. ?

If someone is dissatisfied, they will tell at least 10 people, if they're satisfied, they may tell one.

That's the way it is in the restaurant business, and I think the same applies here. The ones with problems are just very vocal about it. If you read into it, though, you will see that it's not just limited to the Hondas, but other bikes with titanium valves as well (Yamaha, KTM, I think).

I agree with everything you said except for the part aboutt he yamaha's (or so you thought) having valve problems.

I read the yamaha forums almost exclusively and haven't seen any posts at all having to do with valve problems except for an occaisional post about being hard to start and someone suggesting they check the valves then...

All the 4 strokes have valve issues

B/S, I'm fairly large person and I beat the crap out of my bikes. I have wound the piss out of my 02' 426 and my 04' 450 and never even touched the valves. most of the people i know with yami's haven't touched their's either. it is a regular occurance to see and hear the hondas at the track burning oil as well as the complaints about their reliability from the owners.

all 4 strokes are not equal and it has nothing to do with brand loyalty it has to do with experience. the kawazukis are new and yes they have been having troubles too. it's common sense that if you look at the bikes that have been doing 4 stroke mx for awhile and you'll see less problems.

well I have enough trouble adding mods and replacing things I break from crashes. I am not even a weekend mechanic. yes I'm a newbie, but I will never be a valve adjuster all I'm saying is this valve issue has me way turned off.

I was looking forward to the CRF-450X - not no more.

In fact, some say it's a combination between the ti valves, and a carburator that allows fine dust to come in after the air filter.

Everyone is always looking to disparage a company's name. I think it is unfair.

How many thousands of x's have been sold, and had no problems at all? Give me the number of good vs. bad bikes (real numbers, not word of mouth), and I think you'll have a different opinion about Honda.

And one other thing...

If you want ol' reliable with minimal maintenance, get an XR. Bullet-proof but old-school. Always gets you there, but not 1st.

If you want the most advanced off-road *competition* bike, be prepared to do a little maintenance. And enjoy the heck out of it, because it's so much more fun to ride.

I've talked to a couple of Honda service managers, neither of which have seen any valve problems that were out of the ordinary. Only one hard-core CRF450 racer that I know of has had problems.

Jury is still out on my bike, I haven't put that many miles on it. But, since I'm meticulous about maintenance, I doubt I will have any issues.

True, but so what? Clearly a lot of X owners are unhappy and/or surprised in a negative way. The noise level in the CRFx forum is way above other forums on TT. Maybe the problem is really a design flaw, or maybe the result of inept buyers. But some type of problem exists.

All of the bikes are breakable. While some are less prone to breaking than others (ie yammies rarely break, same was true of the hondas but still true for their 450f's) but they all break. I have seen suzukis in one piece (mine is running great) and I have seen hondas in one piece. But i've also seen both broken.

Its got to be from people treating the bikes like they were XRs. High performance = high maintenance. I'm pretty certain that the "valve problem" on Hondas is caused by 2 things: over-revving and sloppy air filter care. Add in the oil consumption of the 250F/X and you've 3 big problems waiting to happen. Throw on a rider who comes from XRs and treats the bike as one, and there's going to be all kinds of bitching. That's why I don't want the 450X in the same forum as the 450R.

I just hit 300 miles of hard offroad use on my 250X and did my first valve check over the weekend. They were spot on with no issues. ?

My X does burn a little oil but nothing to be alarmed about. I am convinced many riders who thrash their bikes don't bother to keep an eye on things like their oil level.

My X is a blast to ride and I have no complaints here.

As to people complaining to 10 people if they dont like it and telling maybe 1 while that is usually true not all bikes have problems if you go in the DRZ forum you see maybe 1 guy hating his bike out of every 50 posts and I honestly don't see many people not liking the DRZ so

I would guess even less than that versus you see a lot more people complaining saying they don't like there Honda. I like Honda a lot but have heard bad things about the CRF250R and X models.

I agree with everything you said except for the part aboutt he yamaha's (or so you thought) having valve problems.

I read the yamaha forums almost exclusively and haven't seen any posts at all having to do with valve problems except for an occaisional post about being hard to start and someone suggesting they check the valves then...

shoulda been readin them posts in the beginning when they were new like the hondas are now. I still remember valve digestion, rods blowing out the crank, and some seriously disillusioned owners.

I love my CRF250X -- I think it's an awesome bike and WAY more fun to ride than any ol' XR or DRZ. It's light weight and easy to ride on the single track. Got over 600 miles on mine with no ISSUES. The electric start is great. I would buy another. ?